This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
Location - Work primarily takes place at North Campus, Edmonton.
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Working for the Faculty of Nursing
The Nursing Simulation Centre is 1307 square metres (14,068 square feet) of state-of-the-art space where Faculty of Nursing undergraduate and graduate students engage in immersive learning using a variety of simulated teaching-learning strategies including: standardized patients; low-, medium- and high-fidelity simulators; and an extensive collection of training models. In addition, the Nursing Simulation Centre employs a group of standardized patients - individuals who play the role of patients - to provide learners with opportunities to develop and practice communication and skills.
This position is the front line of the NSC and the first to respond to student and faculty requests related to NSC services and resources and acts as liaison for internal/external contacts.
Reporting to the Executive Director, Nursing Simulation Centre (NSC) and Lab Support Team Lead, while working closely with other Lab Assistants and Lab Instructors in the NSC, the Lab Assistant - Nursing Simulation Centre provides support in the area of lab setups, ordering inventory, and maintenance of clinical laboratory equipment.
Lab Assistants respond to student and faculty requests related to the Nursing Simulation Centre services and resources. Ensuring lab rooms are set up for instructors and students for a variety of skills; such as, Nursing Kellys (mannequins) setup for chest tubes and tracheostomy, IV blood arms for IV starts and phlebotomy, models for wounds and ostomies, etc. At the end of the day, lab rooms are restocked, cleaned, and orderly for the next day.
- Assists Lab Support Team Lead, other assistants, and Lab Instructors with setup for labs according to the Lab Maps and responds to lab equipment requests
- Regularly monitors lab rooms to ensure that they are clean, orderly and ready for use including: replacing sharps containers, changing soiled bed linen, refilling hand sanitizer, restocking glove box holders, paper towels, otoscope cover tubes, thermometer probes, etc. and ensuring all surfaces are free of dust, spills and debris
- Prepares/dismantles Nursing Kelly mannequins and IV arms after use, drains liquids from reservoirs, flushes blood/fluid from veins, cleans and stores in appropriate space or makes ready for next lab
- Moves beds, tables, chairs, stretchers, mannequins, patient care and diagnostic equipment as needed and manages and monitors linen supply
- Ensures proper storage of safety equipment (AED, Pocket Mask, first aid kit, eyewash station, etc.) and appropriate maintenance of mannequins according to manufacturers instructions and warranty guidelines
- Arranges for disposal of bio hazardous goods (e.g. sharps containers) and performs regular maintenance and cleaning requirements of physical space and equipment according to established standards
- Assists with maintaining inventory control of supplies by taking stock of consumables, ordering items as needed and assisting students with signing out of resource materials
- Receives, records and stores shipments of incoming supplies and equipment
- High School Diploma
- Experience in a health care simulation centre is required
- Experience with manikin simulators and computer streaming technology is required
- Office experience and working knowledge of MS Office (Word & Excel) and Zoom is required
- Accuracy, attention to detail, strong organizational skills and strong communication skills required
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, flexibility in being able to work independently and as a team member
- Must be flexible to hours of work as it may vary from 07:00am to 08:00pm. Schedule determined by academic term
- WHMIS, Fire Safety, and Safe Patient Handling training an asset
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Simulation Laboratory Operations Manager, Arizona State University, United States, 2 days ago
98954BR Campus: Downtown Phoenix Laboratory Manager Job Description The Simulation Laboratory Operations Manager is responsible for the day-to-day oversight of the simulation center at the College...
Technician Nanoelectronics Group, AcademicTransfer, Netherlands, 11 days ago
Are you a highly motivated engineer with experience in electronics, (cryogenic) measurement setups and measurement software? We offer a technician position within the NanoElectronics (NE) Group at...
Laboratory Technician Advanced Manufacturing, SAIT Polytechnic, Canada, about 6 hours ago
Laboratory Technician - Advanced Manufacturing Calgary, AB Corporate Development, Applied Research & International – Applied Research & Innovation Services / AUPE Casual/ Hourly / On-site Apply fo...
Laboratory Technician Materials Characterization, SAIT Polytechnic, Canada, about 6 hours ago
Laboratory Technician- Materials Characterization Calgary, AB Corporate Development, Applied Research & International – Applied Research & Innovation Services / AUPE Casual/ Hourly / On-site Apply...
11 Positions In Msca Project Qu Nest– Quantum Enhanced Optical Communication Network Security Doctoral Training, Eindhoven Technical University, Netherlands, 25 days ago
1 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Eindhoven Technical University Department Electrical Engineering Research Field Technology » Quantum technology Physics » Optics Engineering » Elect...
Tech Support Analyst Associate, Arizona State University, United States, 4 days ago
99108BR Campus: Downtown Phoenix Tech Support Analyst Assoc Job Description Provides operational support for experiential learning in the Grace Center programs. Responsible for preparing, transiti...