About the Position
- Field of Specialization: Software Engineering
- Academic Unit: Department of Systems and Computer Engineering
- Category of Appointment: Preliminary (confirmation-track)
- Rank/Position Title: Instructor
- Start Date: July 1st, 2022
- Closing Date: March 1st, 2022
The department of Systems and Computer Engineering invites applications for a preliminary appointment in Software Engineering at the rank of Instructor beginning July 1st, 2022.
The candidate will be expected to contribute to teaching a wide range of courses in Software Engineering, including introduction to programming, software design, Model-Driven Software Engineering, software testing, databases, security, embedded/ real-time/ concurrent/ distributed software, formal methods and supervise innovative senior undergraduate projects.
Candidates should have a demonstrated commitment to teaching excellence and mentoring of undergraduate students. The position provides the opportunity to pursue a career based on excellence in teaching. We will favourably consider applicants with an interest in innovative teaching methods, in collaborative and interdisciplinary approaches to teaching, with aptitudes for building bridges with community, industry, and government agencies. Finally, candidates are expected to value diversity and inclusivity, and help foster under-represented groups into an engineering career.
Candidates are expected to contribute to our program improvement, including curriculum development, accreditation, quality assurance reviews and departmental/ university promotion events. The candidate must be prepared to participate in the on-going evolution of undergraduate courses to include modern hardware and software equipment and integrate their practical expertise into course labs.
About the Academic Unit
The Department of Systems and Computer Engineering (https://carleton.ca/sce/ ) is a research-intensive department and hosts an active community of faculty members, instructors, and undergraduate and graduate students. It participates in a broad range of undergraduate and graduate programs.
At the time of appointment, candidates must:
- Have earned a Masters, ideally a PhD in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline.
- Show evidence of teaching interests in the field targeted in this call.
- Demonstrate past contributions, or ideas and plans, through teaching and/or research, to the betterment of the practice of engineering in their field of expertise.
- Demonstrate commitment to and potential for teaching excellence and mentoring/supervision of undergraduate students.
- Value diversity and inclusivity.
- Show membership in a Canadian professional engineering association, or evidence that membership in such an association can be secured according to the accreditation criteria and procedures set by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board.
We encourage applications from candidates from groups underrepresented in STEM.
The following assets will be considered favorably:
- Industry experience.
- Use of pedagogical approaches and emerging technologies in software engineering education.
- Research in teaching and learning in software engineering.
- Experience and an interest in course and curriculum development.
- Aptitudes for building bridges with community, industry, and government agencies, including non-traditional research outputs.
- Experience in fostering and mentoring under-represented groups in STEM.
- Experience and interest to contribute to the academic life of a department.
- Leadership and academic service roles, including outreach.
- Strength in advancing Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in your discipline and on campus.
Applications should be sent electronically as a single PDF file to hiring-seInstructor@sce.carleton.ca, describe qualifications, and include:
- A curriculum vitae.
- A teaching dossier, including a description of teaching philosophy, a record of teaching interests and experience (past and planned activities), teaching methodology, and evaluation of student work (maximum 3 pages).
- Teaching evaluations or other evidence of teaching effectiveness (maximum 2 pages).
- The names and contact information for at least three references.
Please indicate in your application if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
About Carleton University
Located in Ottawa, Carleton is an innovative teaching and research institution with a tradition of leading change. Internationally recognized academics, staff, and researchers engage more than 31,000 students in over 100 programs of study. Learn more about our university and the city of Ottawa .
Carleton University is committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our university including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression. Furthermore, Carleton understands that career paths vary and interruptions will not prejudice the assessment process. We invite you to review our revitalized Indigenous strategy, Kinàmàgawin and visit our Department of Equity and Inclusive Communities for information about our commitment to leadership in the areas of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Accessibility is a university strategic priority and applicants selected for an interview who require accommodations are invited to contact the Chair as soon as possible to ensure that appropriate arrangements may be made.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. All positions are subject to budgetary approval.
Monday, December 13, 2021 | Categories: FED , Job Postings
Share: Twitter , Facebook
Short URL: https://carleton.ca/deputyprovost/?p=973
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Science, Carleton University, Canada, 24 days ago
The Department of Health Sciences invites applications from qualified candidates for a preliminary appointment (tenure-track) in Health Sciences at the rank of Assistant Professor. The position is...
Tier 2 Canada Research Chair In Population Health Data Science, University of Ottawa (uOttawa), Canada, 4 days ago
The Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Ottawa invites highly qualified candidates to apply for a tenure-track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level in Population He...
Tier 2 Canada Research Chair In Population Health Data Science, University of Ottawa Research Management Services, Canada, 10 days ago
The Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Ottawa invites highly qualified candidates to apply for a tenure-track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor level in Population Heal...
Program Manager, Public Services, University of Toronto, Canada, 5 days ago
Program Manager, Public Services Requisition ID: 5593 Department: Ottawa Public Library Service: Branch Operations Branch: Public Services Employment Type: 1 Permanent Full Time Position Work Hour...
Librarian, Program Development, University of Toronto, Canada, 19 days ago
Job Title: Librarian Requisition ID: 5522 Department: Ottawa Public Library Service: Central Library Project Branch: Program Development Employment Type: 2 Permanent Full Time Positions Work Hours...
Senior Software Engineer, University of Toronto, Canada, 20 days ago
Jombone – Your Staffing Partner in the Cloud About: Jombone helps businesses hire, staff, and manage their temporary workforce needs. Jombone is a cloud-based staffing & human capital management c...