About the Position
Field of Specialization: Embedded Systems
Academic Unit: Systems and Computer Engineering
Category of Appointment: Preliminary (confirmation-track)
Rank/Position Title: Instructor
Start Date: July 1, 2023
Closing Date: March 31, 2023
The department of Systems and Computer Engineering invites applications for a preliminary appointment in Embedded Systems at the rank of Instructor beginning July 1st, 2023.
The candidate will be expected to contribute to teaching a wide range of courses in Computer Systems Engineering, including digital systems, computer organization and architecture, computer system design, system architecture design methods and languages, real-time operating systems, systems programming, embedded/ real-time/ concurrent/ distributed software, hardware/software co-design, design of cyber- physical systems, safety-critical systems, fault-tolerance, and supervise innovative senior undergraduate projects.
Candidates should have a demonstrated commitment to teaching excellence and mentoring of undergraduate students. The position provides the opportunity to pursue a career based on excellence in teaching. We will favourably consider applicants with an interest in innovative teaching methods, in collaborative and interdisciplinary approaches to teaching, with aptitudes for building bridges with community, industry, and government agencies. Finally, candidates are expected to value diversity and inclusivity, and help foster under-represented groups into an engineering career.
Candidates are expected to contribute to our program improvement, including curriculum development, accreditation, quality assurance reviews and departmental/ university promotion events. The candidate must be prepared to participate in the on-going evolution of undergraduate courses to include modern hardware and software equipment and integrate their practical expertise into course labs.
To see the full position posting, please visit Carleton University’s Deputy Provost’s website.
About the Academic Unit
The Department of Systems and Computer Engineering is a research-intensive department and hosts an active community of faculty members, instructors, and undergraduate and graduate students. It participates in a broad range of undergraduate and graduate programs.
At the time of appointment, candidates must:
- Have earned a Masters, ideally a PhD in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline.
- Show evidence of teaching interests in the field targeted in this call.
- Demonstrate past contributions, or ideas and plans, through teaching and/or research, to the betterment of the practice of engineering in their field of expertise.
- Demonstrate commitment to and potential for teaching excellence and mentoring/supervision of undergraduate students.
- Value diversity and inclusivity.
- Show membership in a Canadian professional engineering association, or evidence that membership in such an association can be secured according to the accreditation criteria and procedures set by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board.
We encourage applications from candidates from groups underrepresented in STEM.
The following assets will be considered favorably:
- Industry experience.
- A demonstrated interest in a system-level view of computer-based system design.
- Use of pedagogical approaches and emerging technologies in software engineering education.
- Research in teaching and learning in software engineering.
- Experience and an interest in course and curriculum development.
- Aptitudes for building bridges with community, industry, and government agencies, including non-traditional research outputs.
- Experience in fostering and mentoring under-represented groups in STEM.
- Experience and interest to contribute to the academic life of a department.
- Leadership and academic service roles, including outreach.
- Strength in advancing Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) in your discipline and on campus.
Applications should be sent electronically as a single PDF file to hiring-hwInstructor@sce.carleton.ca , describe qualifications, and include:
- A curriculum vitae.
- A teaching dossier, including a description of teaching philosophy, a record of teaching interests and experience (past and planned activities), teaching methodologies, and evaluation of student work (maximum 3 pages).
- Teaching evaluations or other evidence of teaching effectiveness (maximum 3 pages).
- The names and contact information for at least three references.
- Please indicate in your application if you are currently legally eligible to work in Canada.
Please provide a statement that identifies your strengths in advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in your discipline and on campus as well as your future plans.
About Carleton University
Located in Ottawa, Carleton is an innovative teaching and research institution with a tradition of leading change. Internationally recognized academics, staff, and researchers engage more than 31,000 students in over 100 programs of study.
Carleton University is committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our university including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression. Carleton understands that career paths vary and interruptions will not prejudice the assessment process. We invite you to review our revitalized Indigenous strategy, Kinàmàgawin and visit our Department of Equity and Inclusive Communities for information about our commitment to leadership in the areas of EDI.
Accessibility is a university strategic priority and applicants selected for an interview who require accommodations are invited to contact the Chair as soon as possible to ensure that appropriate arrangements may be made.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. All positions are subject to budgetary approval.
Tuesday, January 17, 2023 | Categories: FED , Job Postings
Share: Twitter , Facebook
Short URL: https://carleton.ca/deputyprovost/?p=1571
Data Science And Analytics Instructor, Carleton University, Canada, about 12 hours ago
About the Position: Field of Specialization: Data Science and Analytics Academic Unit: Mathematics and Statistics Category of Appointment: Term (1 year) Rank/Position Title: Instructor Start Date:...
Research Officer, University of Toronto, Canada, 11 days ago
Priority Comment OPEN Competition: This position will be posted until March 15, 2023. Ideally, we are looking for a candidate who will be available to start early April 2023. Duties and Responsibi...
Chair Of The Department Of Cellular And Molecular Medicine, University of Ottawa, Faculty of Medicine, Canada, 9 days ago
Chair, Department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine The University of Ottawa and its Faculty of Medicine (FoM) invite applications for a dynamic academic leader as Chair of the Department of Cell...
Intern Archivist, University of Toronto, Canada, 11 days ago
The Inuit Circumpolar Council Canada is hiring an Intern Archivist through the Young Canada Works program. Reporting to the Archivist, the Intern Archivist will work on current archival descriptio...
Part Time Academic (Musc 2023 Middle Eastern Music) Spring 2023, Dalhousie University, Canada, 7 days ago
Position Details Position Information Position Title Part-Time Academic (MUSC 2023 Middle Eastern Music) - Spring 2023 Posting Number PTAP1869P Department/Unit Fountain School of Performing Arts L...
Regional Sales Manager, University of Toronto, Canada, 3 days ago
About us: Sciendo or De Gruyter Poland Ltd (www.sciendo.com) is one of the world’s leading companies providing professional publishing services to the academic market. The company is owned by De G...