This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position has a term length of two years and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
Location - North campus. This role is in-person.
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Engineering & Operations (HVAC/Refrigeration) provides comprehensive support to maintaining and operating key infrastructure and building systems
This is a skilled position requiring a Journeyman certificate with a Technical school diploma and several years’ experience in heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration (HVAC/R) systems performing troubleshooting and field investigation to assess operating problems in those systems and to determine solutions.
The operation of these HVAC/R systems provide the proper temperature, humidity and ventilation to all the building and research areas on campus; and they number over four hundred. The size and magnitude of the University has become such that the Controls Section in the Operations Division is essential to the environmental operation of the University of Alberta. The incumbent provides service by operating, repairing and maintaining the HVAC/R systems and other related mechanical, electronic and pneumatic systems that are used throughout campus. It is the responsibility of this position to ensure that environmental comfort conditions are met and equipment is repaired properly. Failure to do so would have a detrimental effect on the ability of HVAC/R systems to maintain the critical temperature and humidity environment necessary to prevent loss of critical research, finances, teaching time, etc.
- Communicating effectively with the customer to articulate your diagnosis, repair or recommendations.
- Estimating Jobs (repairs, replacement, etc).
- Maintain a clean work area and vehicle.
- Install refrigeration, air conditioning, heating, and related equipment and components.
- Overhaul and service refrigeration, air conditioning, heating units and systems. (chillers, walk-in freezers/coolers, dx units, heat pumps, geothermal, rooftop units, make-up air units, ice machines).
- Repair, replace and adjust worn or broken parts on (chillers, walk-in freezers/coolers, dx units, heat pumps, geothermal, rooftop units, make-up air units, and ice machines).
- Diagnose and troubleshoot problems with HVAC/R systems.
- Work safely and ensure you are following all University safety protocols (LOTO, Ladder Safety, etc).
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Completing your paperwork electronically to document work order status.
- Participate in the on-call rotation to provide after-hours and weekend coverage.
- Working as a team to support your colleagues.
- Journeyman Refrigeration Certificate (2 years Journeyman experience).
- Chiller experience.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload while ensuring quality service is delivered to our clients and departments.
- Strong organization and time management skills with the ability to work well under pressure.
- Strong interpersonal, customer service and communication skills.
- A current driver's license.
- Knowledge and skill of tools, equipment, materials and practices of the trade.
- Knowledge of applicable HVAC/R codes, standards, and regulations.
- Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- 5 year of experience would be considered an asset.
- Journeyman Refrigeration Red Seal.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Hvac Refrigeration Technician Lead – Tempe Campus, Arizona State University, United States, 25 days ago
87358BR Campus: Tempe HVAC Refrigeration Tech Lead Job Description Facilities Development and Management, Facilities Management, seeks an HVAC Refrigeration Technician Lead whose primary responsib...
Hvac Refrigeration Technician Downtown Phoenix Campus, Arizona State University, United States, 1 day ago
88358BR Campus: Downtown Phoenix HVAC Refrigeration Technician Job Description Facilities Management, Downtown Phoenix campus, seeks an HVAC Refrigeration Technician to install, repair, overhaul, ...
Energy Management Specialist (Building Automations And Controls Technician) – Downtown Phoenix Campus, Arizona State University, United States, 14 days ago
87956BR Campus: Downtown Phoenix Energy Management Spec Job Description Facilities Management, Downtown Phoenix campus, seeks an Energy Management Specialist (Building Automation and Controls Tech...
Energy Management Specialist Tempe Campus, Arizona State University, United States, 10 days ago
88114BR Campus: Tempe Energy Management Spec Job Description Facilities Management, Energy Management Systems, seeks an Energy Management Specialist (Building Automation and Controls Technician) t...
Research Assistent In The Field Of Geothermal Energy , Technical University of Munich, Germany, 1 day ago
18.01.2023, Wissenschaftliches Personal For our team we are looking for a Research Assistent (100%-position) in the EU-Life Project GeoBOOST (m,w,d) at the Chair of Hydrogeology TU Munich. Your ta...
Stationary Engineer Senior West Campus (Swing Shift), Arizona State University, United States, 3 days ago
88200BR Campus: West Stationary Engineer Sr Job Description Facilities Management, West campus, Central Plant, seeks a Stationary Engineer, Senior for the swing shift to monitor, operate, repair a...