Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry - MedIT
Competition No. - A104432264
Closing Date - Mar 26, 2017
The Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry (FoMD) deals with multiple types of information, including health information. Key duties of the Health Information Privacy Advisor include the education of custodians and staff regarding their legislated privacy obligations, creation of privacy and security policies and procedures, performing breach investigations, providing privacy advice and guidance, assisting in the writing of Privacy Impact Assessments (PIAs) and other duties to ensure compliance to the Health Information Act (HIA). The Advisor also oversees the work of an IT Security Coordinator that reports to this position.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Develops, amends and implements privacy and security policies, standards, and best practice guidelines for FoMD
- Consults with custodians and other stakeholders to determine policy requirements and ensure understanding/awareness of existing policies
- Identifies policies that impact employees and collaborates with Human Resources and academic units to determine implementation and enforcement strategies
- Ensures alignment to privacy/security standards of Alberta Health Services (AHS), Alberta Health (AH), and industry best practices where appropriate/needed
- Monitors compliance with privacy legislation, ensuring that all requirements are identified and compliance measures are implemented
- Monitors compliance with information manager agreements, ensuring that University business units are meeting their obligations
- Develops and implements health information privacy training and awareness programs for new and existing staff, contractors, and other third parties
- Provides privacy information, guidance, and support to faculty and staff
- Develops and implements communication plans to address new policies and procedures
- Ensures that researchers know and understand requirements under privacy legislation that relates to research
- Acts as first point of contact for questions related to information manager agreements (i.e. between custodians and the University; between external organizations and faculty members who are custodians)
- Assesses and manages risks related to information technology access, privacy, and security (in collaboration with University’s Chief Information Security Officer and security personnel within FoMD)
- Conducts audits of Faculty managed information systems and facilities to identify weaknesses and improve awareness programs
- Investigates and conducts breach investigations related to FoMD staff
- Recommends remedial action where infractions of policies are identified
- Creates faculty policies and procedures related to information governance such as risk management, privacy and security, and compliance
- Provides privacy advice and information to faculty and staff on matters to support clinical, research, education and administration
- Provides support to faculty and staff relating to system access to health information including creation of policies and procedures around system access to health information
- Acts as the point of contact for faculty where privacy and security assessments are required before implementing information systems for faculty and staff
- Coordinates Privacy Impact Assessments on behalf of custodians, including submissions to the University's Information and Privacy Office and/or Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner (OIPC) as required
- Liaises with other organizations such as AH, AHS, Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta (OIPC) when needed
- Provides support to other members of FoMD administration (e.g. Associate and Assistant Deans in Undergraduate Medical Education, Postgraduate Medical Education, Clinical Research, Health Informatics etc.) in privacy related matters
The successful candidate will have extensive experience (5-10 years) in the access and privacy field, information system security management and/or in policy and legislative work. They will have in-depth knowledge of access to information and privacy principles and legislation, in particular HIA and FOIP legislation and will be expected to establish strong collaborative relationships with both internal and external organizations.
Other qualifications include:
- A University degree in a related area (law, information system security management, public or business administration, political science, law or library and information studies)
- Courses, training or accreditation in access, privacy and/or security is desirable
- Experience in supporting or administering access and privacy legislation at a federal, provincial or local public body level are desirable
- Analytical skills and judgment to identify issues, develop options, and propose appropriate solutions
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent presentation skills and the ability to communicate with diverse individuals and groups
- Excellent leadership and project management skills, including the ability to budget, schedule, and manage resources
- Strong and effective consultative skills; ability to work well in a collaborative environment
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Proficiency with standard office equipment and software applications
- Ability to learn new technologies and applications quickly
Please submit your cover letter and resume as one document. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
In accordance with the Administrative and Professional Officer Agreement, this full-time continuing position offers a comprehensive benefits package found at www.hrs.ualberta.ca .
How to Apply
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. If suitable Canadian citizens or permanent residents cannot be found, other individuals will be considered.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
] Faculty Positions Privacy And Security , , United States, 10 days ago
The College of Information Sciences and Technology (IST) at the Pennsylvania State University invites applications for multiple tenured and tenure-track faculty positions in Security and Privacy. ...
Provider Management Coordinator, University of Massachusetts Medical School, United States, 10 days ago
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: Under the general supervision of the Clinical Administration Manager or designee, this position is responsible for coordinating client appointments for Consultative Ex...
Operations And Contract Coordinator, University of Massachusetts Medical School, United States, 10 days ago
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: Under the general direction of the Director of Compliance in the UMMS Office of Management, or designee, the Operations & Contract Agent performs a variety of complex ...
Communications Specialist, SAIT Polytechnic, Canada, 20 days ago
Communications Specialist (Information Officer II) Communications and Marketing Department At the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT), we are the shapers. The makers. The originals, dr...
Nutrition Associate, University of Missouri, United States, 19 days ago
NUTRITION ASSOCIATE-17002898 Job : Facilities Operations/Technical Primary Location : Columbia Schedule : Full-time Shift : Day Job Unposting Date : Ongoing Description Hours: 7am – 3:30pm with e...
Senior Program Officer Board On Health Sciences Policy, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 20 hours ago
The National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine, Washington, District of Columbia Position Description: The National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and Nationa...