This position is a part of the Association of the Academic Staff of the University of Alberta (AASUA).
In accordance with the Temporary Librarian, Administrative and Professional Staff (TLAPO) Agreement , this position offers a comprehensive benefits package found on our Benefits Overview page and annual salary range of $65,906 - $109,772 per year.
This position has an initial appointment of 3 years.
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Work will be located at the North Edmonton Campus and is a mix of remote and in-person.
The Faculty of Engineering at the University of Alberta offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate engineering programs, creating the opportunity to pursue exceptional, high quality educational experiences.
Our vision is to be the most daring engineering community on the planet. We are engineers united by our unwavering dedication to solving the world’s greatest challenges and building a better future for society.
We are: Driven. Trailblazing. Curious. Supportive. Grounded. Considerate.
The Graduate Programs Officer for the Faculty of Engineering is responsible for managing, developing, and supporting the diverse range of graduate programs offered by the Faculty of Engineering, including operational management of the Biomedical Engineering department, a graduate-only department within Engineering.
This position will support the Chair of Biomedical Engineering and will assist in the implementation and management of a new Master of Engineering (MEng) in Biomedical Engineering. By working collaboratively with the Associate Dean, Graduate Programs and the departmental Associate Deans, Graduate Students of the other teaching departments within Engineering (Civil & Environmental Engineering, School of Mining and Petroleum, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Chemical and Materials Engineering), this role will lead and support key initiatives for the Graduate programs portfolio, supporting both thesis-based and course-based students. They will work to develop and implement a set of strategic initiatives to update and improve the Master of Engineering programs across the Faculty of Engineering.
Engineering is committed to a culture of trust, effectiveness, and execution.
Please ensure that your cover letter includes how you would support this culture.
- Graduate Programs Support and Development.
- Support the expansion, administration, and modernization of MEng programs in the Faculty of Engineering broadly.
- Coordinate graduate student recruitment initiatives at the Faculty level.
- Work collaboratively with Engineering Career Connections to increase links with industry to allow for career development opportunities for graduate students.
- Support the development of modern professional development (PD) policy compatible with those of other professional faculties at U of A and work with stakeholders to improve the breadth and depth of PD opportunities for graduate students within Engineering.
- Coordinate and support the standardization of graduate programs across the faculty of engineering to ensure quality and consistency.
- Organize and develop universal orientation/preparation resources for new graduate students, in particular new MEng students. Centralize within Engineering services that can most efficiently and effectively be offered at the faculty level currently duplicated by the individual graduate programs.
- Support the four Associate Deans, Graduate Students on academic matters (in addition to the administrative support offered by departmental administrators) including standards, policy, and procedures, and liaising on their behalf with FGSR.
- Support and execute procedures for the implementation of new programs e.g. MEng BME, Energy Systems (MEC E); working with all levels of FGSR, the Provost’s office, and the Government.
- Coordinate communications between the four Associate Deans Graduate Students; the Associate Dean Graduate Programs; Departmental MEng advisors; FGSR; and CNAS to ensure the most efficient, highest quality graduate programs, particularly the MEng programs.
- Support the Associate Dean, Graduate Programs in all aspects of the committees chaired by AD Grad Programs including the Graduate Scholarship Committee, Graduate Program Committee, Engineering Coordinating Committee, Engineering Faculty Council, and FGSR Council.
Operations Support, Biomedical Engineering
- Work with the Service Partner (Finance) to monitor, analyze, forecast, and report on the academic department’s financial position.
- In conjunction with the Service Partner (Finance) and the Processing Hub, oversee the financial transactions across all sources including special grants and contracts. Monitor the purchase of services, equipment, and supplies for Biomedical Engineering.
- Recommend strategies and proposals regarding budget allocations /reallocations and distribution of resources to support Biomedical Engineering’s priorities.
- In collaboration with Service Partner (HR), provides advice and support to the Biomedical Engineering Department Chair on human resource issues (e.g. hiring, performance management, ER/LR).
- Manages the employee lifecycle (e.g. Letters of Appointment, cancelation stipends) for Biomedical Engineering’s Academic Teaching Staff.
- Evaluates current business processes within administrative areas for operational and financial efficiencies. Recommends changes to Academic Department Chair.
- Manage space allocation (offices and laboratories), furniture, furnishings, and office equipment.
- With the assistance of the Service Partner (Communications) and in conjunction with the Faculty and College offices, develop and execute communication with various stakeholders.
- Coordinate course and calendar information.
- Make necessary changes to course offerings supported by data.
- Advise on governance processes and procedures for course and program developments and changes.
- Master’s degree in a thesis-based program.
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and maintain key relationships.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to create and communicate vision and strategy to a team.
- Strong knowledge of the post-secondary education environment and the experience of graduate students in a thesis-based program.
- Superior written and oral communication skills with a proven ability to communicate to different groups and audiences.
- Well-developed critical thinking and problem-solving abilities.
- MSc or PhD in an Engineering discipline is an asset.
- Knowledge of the Engineering profession is a strong asset.
- Demonstrated competence with financial planning and budgeting.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
Assistat/Associate Professor (Petroleum Engineering), United Arab Emirates University (UAEU), United Arab Emirates, 13 days ago
The Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering (CPE) at the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) invites application for a full-time faculty position in Petroleum Engineering at the level ...
Research Engineer (Robotics), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Job Description The work in this position will involve a combination of mechanical design, electronics design, programming, mathematical and computational modeling, and hardware implementation. Th...
Professor, Guangdong Technion Israel Institute of Technology (Guangdong Technion, GTIIT), Spain, 16 days ago
The Technion - Israel Institute of Technology academically manages a new university established in Shantou City, Guangdong Province, China called the Guangdong - Technion Israel Institute of Techn...
Assistant, Associate And Full Professorships, Guangdong Technion-Israel Institute of Technology (GTIIT), China, 15 days ago
Position: Faculty at the rank of Assistant, Associate and Full Professor Institute: Guangdong Technion Israel Institute of Technology (GTIIT) Type: Full Time Area: Mechanical Engineering Program a...
Associate Professor In Chemical Engineering, UNIVERSITY OF GREENWICH, United Kingdom, 23 days ago
School of Engineering Location: Medway Campus Salary: £53,353 to £61,823 Contract Type Permanent Release Date: Monday 28 November 2022 Closing Date: Thursday 05 January 2023 Interview Date: To be ...
Research Associate, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
Description Position Overview KU is seeking a highly motivated Research Associate to work on a funded project to investigate the applicability of novel polymers to UAE carbonate reservoirs under h...