Faculty of Science - AB Biodiversity Monitoring Institute
Competition No. - S106133017
Posting Date - Jun 07, 2017
Closing Date - Jun 27, 2017
Position Type - Full Time - Grant Funded
Salary Range - $40,952 to $54,060 per year
Grade - 04
Hours - 40
This position has a term of one year with a possibility of renewal and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: www.hrs.ualberta.ca .
The University of Alberta (Department of Biological Sciences) and the Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute (ABMI) have developed a research partnership. This long-term initiative will make Alberta a world-leader in the field of biodiversity monitoring and research. Designed to track changes in biodiversity across the entirety of Alberta for the next 100 years, this program provides Albertan's the ability to make informed decisions about the state of their environment in ways never before possible.
The GIS Technician will report to the ABMI Geospatial Centre Manager.
- Interprets and maps human footprint from satellite imagery and GIS layers
- Investigates and applies emerging GIS-based approaches to improve the work quality and solutions
- Coordinates and undertakes quality assurance and quality control on work prior to passing it on as required
- Summarizes and exports GIS information as required for analyses and distributing output information
- Performs other related duties as required
- Post-secondary degree in GIS, remote sensing, natural resource science, or related discipline preferred; minimum High School Diploma
- Minimum one year with ArcGIS experience and hands-on experience with geospatial analysis and applied GIS-based tools
- Proficient and thorough understanding of GIS and spatial analysis principles and applications
- Familiar with a variety of technologies capable of storing spatial data (i.e. ArcSDE, file geodatabases, Oracle, SQL Server, etc.)
- Familiarity with Alberta's landscape and environmental settings
- Strong organization skills, including the ability to work independently or within project teams of various sizes
How to Apply
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
] Assistant Or Associate Professor Sparc Gis/Spatial Science , , United States, about 4 hours ago
The School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning at Arizona State University invites applications for two full-time, tenure-track positions. One position is for an Assistant Professor, and t...
] Assistant Professor – Quantitative Methods , , United States, about 4 hours ago
The School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning (SGSUP) at Arizona State University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position with advanced expertise in social sc...
] Assistant Professor Of Geospatial Data Science, , United States, 2 days ago
Department: Geography Position: Geospatial Data Science Rank: Assistant Professor Description: The Department of Geography in the College of Arts and Sciences at The Ohio State University in...
Co Nurse Practitioner, Johns Hopkins University, United States, 26 days ago
General Description The Department of Medicine is seeking a Nurse Practitioner. The Clinical Nurse Practitioner provides care to patients in performing wireless capsule endoscopy, and hydrogen br...
Fish & Game New Zealand Research Scholarships, Massey University, New Zealand, 6 days ago
Back to results Closing date: to be announced Fish & Game New Zealand offers annual academic scholarships to research the scientific, management, social, cultural and political issues related to N...
Biostatistician, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 24 days ago
The Department of Molecular Medicine and Surgery (MMK) carries out both preclinical and clinical research within numerous fields. Linked to the department are approximately 450 researchers, postgr...