About Efficiency Canada
Efficiency Canada is housed at Carleton University’s Sustainable Energy Research Centre. It is the national voice for an energy-efficient economy and envisions a future where Canada uses energy efficiency to its fullest potential. This means maximizing the benefits of energy efficiency to result in a sustainable environment, a productive economy, and a just and equitable society.
Efficiency Canada is made up of a small group of mission-driven and passionate advocates for a better world. Our core values of sustainability, inclusivity, resourcefulness, and people have created a strong work culture that enables us to achieve our mission. We invest in our team, empowering them to make decisions and contribute meaningfully.
Please note: Applications will be reviewed as received and the position may be filled prior to the posting end date.
About Carleton University
Carleton University is situated on unceded Algonquin territory and bordered by the Rideau River and the Rideau Canal, a UNESCO World Heritage site, in Ottawa, Ontario. The university is just minutes from the heart of our nation's government and G-7 organizations and this capital advantage provides opportunities for staff and faculty and students to make a positive impact in our community and around the world.
As one of the 2023 Top 100 Employers in Canada and one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers for nine consecutive years, Carleton University is one of Canada’s most resourceful and productive hubs of learning and research, fuelling a rich talent pipeline that is supporting social and economic renewal. The university’s smart, caring and connected community inspires and empowers individuals to become change leaders who drive impact in the world while challenging conventional modes of thinking and doing. At Carleton, we are committed to fostering an innovative, equitable and welcoming work environment. Carleton is also a nationally certified Healthy Workplace and is a recipient of the Canada Awards for Excellence, Healthy Workplace Order of Excellence and Platinum Level Certification for Mental Health at Work.
The university’s Strategic Integrated Plan 2020-2025 is an ambitious vision for the future, anchored in Carleton’s strengths and student-centric, community-engaged values.
Duties and Responsibilities:
As a Finance Officer on the Operations team, you will be a part of a team setting the stage for continued growth of Efficiency Canada. As part of the Operations team, you’ll be deeply involved with maintaining AR, AP, contract administration and procurement processes for the organization. You will support financial functions such as month-end closings, analysis and reporting, grant/funder budgeting and reporting, annual budget preparation and year-end procedures. You will also be given the opportunity to play a key role in improving financial reporting and analysis and identifying risks and opportunities.
The Finance Officer will work closely with the Director of Operations in supporting their regular duties, including tracking program/project revenues, analysis, variance reporting, financial statement creation, reporting and dashboarding. The Finance Officer will report to the Director of Operations.
Project & Departmental Support
• Contributing to the development of the annual organizational budget and forecasts.
• Working cross-functionally as direct support to project leads and managers in the development and tracking of project and departmental budgets. Ensuring budgets are complete, accurate and adhered to.
• Updating and tracking budget vs. actuals and creating monthly forecasts; reviewing project progression; monitoring funding status and conducting variance analysis; highlighting areas of concern and recommending corrective action.
• Creating cash flow statements for contribution agreements and/or claim submissions to funders.
• Supporting the preparation of monthly financial statements and quarterly board reports.
• Supporting reporting to funders and preparing grant reports.
Accounts Payable & Receivable
• Reviewing all invoices for appropriate documentation and approval before payment. Ensuring swift processing and payment of invoices.
• Posting supplier invoices, cost receipts, and process supplier payments through e-SHOP.
• Creating revenue invoices; tracking and following up aged receivables; collecting payments and sending receipt notifications to relevant internal stakeholders.
• Collecting and coordinating expenses and receipts for the organization as required and completing expense reports.
• Managing the operations mailbox; ensuring appropriate coding, authorizations and supporting documentation are in place; reviewing and submitting all payables, credit card transactions and staff expenses.
• Resolving finance-related queries, both internal and external.
• Ensuring day-to-day financial activities are efficient and effective.
• Managing contract administration activities for finance.
• Inputting accounting data into the accounting system with speed and accuracy.
• Maintaining an orderly filing system for source documents.
• Providing clerical and administrative support related to finance and other operational functions as needed.
• Applying administrative and financial controls.
• Supporting the annual year-end audit.
● Strong written and verbal skills to communicate with all levels of the organization and its executive team.
● Analytical and problem-solving skills to research and summarize information.
● Detail-oriented and works with a high degree of accuracy.
● Highly organized and flexible with the ability to manage multiple priorities, tasks, and relationships in a fast-paced, professional environment.
● Demonstrated technical skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Adobe Acrobat, and virtual meeting platforms (Zoom, Teams).
● Ability to work independently, with the comfort to ask for help, when needed.
● Intuitive, resourceful, and reliable.
● Self-starter, adaptable and a good team player.
● Passionate commitment to the mission and objectives of Efficiency Canada.
Nice to have:
● A professional accounting designation (CPA, CA/CMA/CGA).
● Experience using Concur, eSHOP, FAAM, and FAST.
● Experience in the not-for-profit or university sectors.
● Experience working in a start-up or growing organization.
● Experience supporting the procurement of goods and services.
● Bilingual in both English and French.
Education and Experience:
● Post-secondary education in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, and/or related field.
● A minimum of three (3) to five (5) years prior experience in a finance role
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
Important Note Regarding Pandemic Related Operations:
This position is regularly required to work on campus. Due to the ongoing dynamic nature of Covid-19, you may be required to work temporarily remotely due to public health requirements. If this happens, you will work with your direct manager to set up a remote work environment including discussing appropriate technology and requirements. You are required to follow all directives to set up a safe and confidential workspace in a remote location and ensure all Carleton property (intellectual and other) is safeguarded. If required to work remotely, you will be notified by your manager when working full time physically onsite will resume.
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
Project Manager, University of Alberta, Canada, 1 day ago
This position is a part of the Association of the Academic Staff of the University of Alberta (AASUA). In accordance with the Trust/Research Academic Staff Agreement this position has an approxim...
Assistant Professor, Special Continuing, University of Alberta, Canada, 1 day ago
This position is a part of the Association of the Academic Staff of the University of Alberta (AASUA). Location Work will primarily take place at North Campus Edmonton. Working for the University ...
Hris Administrator, University of Alberta, Canada, 4 days ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This competition will be used to fill 2 positions and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty ...
Strategy Analyst, Harvard University, United States, 17 days ago
23-May-2023 Financial Administration 62644BR Position Description Financial Administration (FAD) is dedicated to advancing Harvard University’s teaching and research mission by stewarding its reso...
Executive Director Of External Relations, Georgetown University, United States, about 16 hours ago
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitmen...
Operations Lead, University of Alberta, Canada, 11 days ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position has a term length of 4 years and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed on our Benefits Ove...