This competition will remain open until filled, however, applicant considerations will begin Monday, December 7, 2020. Preference will be given to current University of Alberta employees.
Reporting to the Dean of the Alberta School of Business, the Faculty General Manager provides expert advice and counsel to the Dean and School decision-makers while leading the School’s administrative functions. This position, as a member of the Faculty’s leadership team, makes administrative and strategic decisions, which impact the operation and reputation of the Faculty.
Faculties operate within a larger University structure with responsibilities for numerous program areas and large numbers of faculty and students. Although this position reports directly to the Dean, it also consults, collaborates and plays a coordinating role between the Faculty and other University decision-makers.
The Alberta School of Business is one of the world’s leading institutions of business education and research. Since 1916, the innovative ideas, entrepreneurial spirit and leadership of the School’s more than 26,000 alumni have strengthened businesses and communities worldwide. Our vision is simple, yet powerful: To develop and inspire entrepreneurial leaders from Alberta for the World. For more information about the School, please visit our website ualberta.ca/business.
- Provides the Dean with expert and professional counsel on the evaluation and implementation of sensitive or confidential initiatives, special projects and emerging issues
- Contributes to the development of plans, objectives, strategic solutions, policies and procedures in response to challenges and issues
- Anticipates, identifies and resolves operational issues of substantial significance that affect the overall functioning of the Faculty
- Brokers resources and services from central units and embedded functions to ensure the Faculty’s goals are achieved
- In collaboration with a Service Partner (HR), provides advice to the Dean on human resource issues (e.g. succession planning, academic hiring, performance management, employee development, labour relations, classification and compensation)
- In collaboration with a Service Partner (Finance), plans and oversees the budget and financial operations as well as strategic resource allocation (e.g. manage budgetary plan, analyze financial data, assess cost-effectiveness, mitigate risk)
- Leads and coordinates effective communication across the Faculty to ensure a consistent understanding of key priorities
- Develops and manages collaborative working partnerships within the Faculty office and with other University decision-makers as well as Faculty specific Centres and Institutes to ensure the Faculty can deliver efficient and effective programs (e.g. understand, connect and align shared information across units, departments and organizational lines)
- Develops an administrative team with embedded Service Partners (HR, Finance, etc.)
- Provides timely reports (financial and non-financial) to the Dean in alignment with the Faculty’s business plan and budget
- Support Faculty Evaluation Committee (FEC), Academic Teaching Staff Evaluation Committee (ATSEC) and the Annual Report Process by assisting the Dean in managing appeals, conflicts, grievances, disciplinary action and legal suits involving all categories of academic staff; supports the Dean or their designate in any enhancements to the Faculty’s evaluation process
- Identifies and leads strategic projects which support Faculty initiatives and deliver required outcomes
- Manages and reviews the Faculty's building, facilities and other specialized infrastructure, matching against current and emerging needs, including oversight of space allocation for the faculty
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Commerce; Master’s degree an asset
- 7-10 years of relevant experience is required
- 7-10 years of experience in hiring, leading, supervising, evaluating, mentoring staff, and managing employee performance with diverse responsibilities in a large and complex unionized environment
- Demonstrated ability to think critically, problem-solve, act decisively and exercise a high degree of initiative and judgment on a wide range of issues within a complex environment
- Proven experience and knowledge in applying/complying with relevant Collective Agreement(s), institutional policies and procedures as well as HR best-practice standards
- Demonstrated experience in financial analysis, budgeting, strategic planning and project management
- Experience in managing departmental strategic planning and financial resources in accordance with financial policies, procedures, and best-practices including the ability to design and implement strategic and budgetary plans in alignment with unit, Faculty, and University goals
- Proven computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Applications; experience with PeopleSoft is considered an asset
- Strong communications, organizational and interpersonal skills to develop effective relationships with faculty and administrators as well as a broad network of contacts
- Knowledge of University of Alberta’s governance, policies, and procedures, as well as a good understanding of the academic culture is required
In accordance with the Handbook of Employment for Management and Professional Staff (Excluded), this full-time continuing position offers an annual salary which will be commensurate with qualification and experience.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
Faculty Board Member/Managing Director Of The University College Groningen, University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 10 hours ago
The Faculty Board has two members. The Managing Director of the Faculty is particularly responsible for the personnel, finance and accommodation portfolio. Together with the Dean, the Managing Dir...
Associate Dean, Special Programs, Dallas County Community College District, United States, about 8 hours ago
Apply now Job no:500959 Work type:Full-time Location:District Office Work Schedule: Monday-Friday (8:00-5:00) Working Title Associate Dean, Special Programs Job Title Code ASY Salary Level E04 Sal...
Associate Director, Operations Ocean Hp (Job Id #138839), University of Illinois, United States, about 13 hours ago
~• Direct day –to-day administrative operations for the department including financial management, human resources, business development and grants management. • Coordinates and directs the long t...
Executive Director, Ovcr Finance And Business Operations (Job Id #139973), University of Illinois, United States, 8 days ago
Financial Management Design and automate reports and related processes, administer the financial forecast and budget processes and associated systems, and advise on report and related data structu...
Research Strategy Specialist Research Programmes In Infection And Immunity, Luxembourg Institute of Health (LIH), Luxembourg, 24 days ago
The Luxembourg Institute of Health is a public research organisation at the forefront of biomedical sciences. With its strong expertise in population health, oncology, infection and immunity as we...
Faculty Board Member/Managing Director Of The University College Groningen, University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
Organisation The University College Groningen (UCG) is a faculty of the University of Groningen that started a Liberal Arts and Sciences programme in September 2014. The UCG Liberal Arts and Scien...