This competition will remain open until filled, however, applicant considerations will begin Monday, November 23, 2020. Preference will be given to current University of Alberta employees.
The Faculty General Manager will provide administrative leadership to the Faculty and will oversee and manage a wide range of operational functions within FoMD which includes the transition to a new administrative service delivery model for the FoMD, in alignment with the University of Alberta. This role is responsible for overseeing the management of plans and processes to deliver operational services to the Faculty to ensure it meets its academic, research, teaching and learning objectives. This includes the development of policy and procedures in human resources, finance, information technology, strategic business planning, occupational health and safety, and the administration of research and student matters. They will manage the provision of all administrative services within the FoMD, which is complex in terms of its multiple programs, its dispersed structure across campus, as well as its interactions with hospitals/health services through Alberta Health Services.
The successful candidate will develop strong relationships with the Faculty’s leadership team, University central administration, and Alberta Health Services to ensure that Faculty strategies are aligned and successfully implemented. As a member of the Faculty’s leadership team and its leadership committees (e.g. Dean's Executive Council (FOMD),Planning and Priorities Committee (FOMD), etc.), the incumbent provides expert advice and counsel to key decision makers. The Faculty General Manager leads and directs a multidisciplinary team.
As one of Canada’s top medical schools, the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry (FoMD) is a large, complex, and diverse Faculty with 21 Departments, 7 Research Institutes, 16 Centres, 65 Undergraduate Programs, 58 Residency Programs, and 13 Graduate Programs. We are an innovator in medical care, research, and teaching, with first-class facilities supporting our renowned researchers and staff across 20 buildings. Click here to learn more about us.
- Provides a confidential sounding board to the Dean for ideas, plans and policy matters. Offers expert knowledge, advice, critical analysis, options and alternative approaches.
- Support the Dean in establishing and implementing faculty-level strategic direction and objectives.
- Understands and counsels on the political and organizational contexts in which the Faculty operates. Anticipates trends in medical and dental education, research and clinical practice and relevant industry sectors and makes recommendations.
- Brokers resources and services from central administration to ensure the Faculty’s goals are achieved.
- Designs, implements and manages efficient and effective administrative systems/structures for the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry.
- In collaboration with a Service Partner (HR), provides advice to the Dean, as well as other Academic Leaders within the Faculty (e.g. Department Chairs), on human resource issues (e.g. succession planning, academic hiring, performance management, employee development, labour relations, classification and compensation).
- Determines need for resource reallocation and reorganization. Leads change.
- Triages and assigns materials, issues and communication to the appropriate area/ individual.
- Ensures accurate reporting is provided to leaders within the Faculty to facilitate effective decision making.
- Supports the Faculty Evaluation Committee (FEC) and the Annual Report process. Assists the Dean in managing appeals, conflicts, grievances, disciplinary action and legal suits involving all categories of academic staff. Supports the Dean or their designate in any enhancements to the Faculty’s evaluation process.
- Oversees risk and compliance management for the Faculty including required monitoring and reporting.
- Manages and reviews the Faculty's building, facilities and other specialized infrastructure, matching against current and emerging needs, including oversight of space allocation for the faculty.
- Leads and coordinates effective communication across the Faculty to ensure a consistent understanding of key priorities.
- Develops and manages collaborative working partnerships within the Faculty office and throughout the Faculty to ensure the Faculty can deliver efficient and effective programs.
- Develops and maintains a strong working relationship with related government departments, Alberta Health Services and University Administration.
- Builds a strong administrative team. Creates an environment that encourages creativity, continuous process review and improvement and innovation of practices and provisions.
- Ensures effective collaboration within the Faculty office and with the programming areas, as well as Faculty specific Centres and Institutes.
- Develop strong relationships with Faculty Managers and senior staff across the University to effectively support the integration of faculty management at the University level
- Fosters and develop a strong planning capability in the Faculty and works with the Dean to set the planning frameworks (e.g. strategic plans, academic plan, budgeting processes) for the Faculty.
- Ensures the development and maintenance of appropriate security, emergency preparedness and business continuity plans
- Assists the Dean with all levels of planning. Contributes to the development of plans, objectives, strategic solutions, policies and procedures in response to challenges and issues.
- Provides professional and expert guidance to the Dean on the development of planning documents to address specific issues and emerging initiatives.
- Provides timely reports (financial and non-financial) to the Dean in alignment with the Faculty’s business plan and budget.
- Uses and develops Faculty resources to support academic planning.
- Works with an embedded Service Partner (Finance) to oversee the budget and financial operations. The position also has approval delegation in line with University guidelines.
- Works with Alberta Health Services on setting cost sharing agreements, the Alberta Medical and Health Services Plan for grants, and with Alberta Health for education directed grants.
- Integrates financial data and projections received from the financial Service Partner into strategic, business and operational plans for the Faculty.
- Anticipates, identifies and resolves operational issues of substantial significance that affect the overall functioning of the Faculty.
- Consults with functional experts, including legal counsel.
- Provides the Dean with counsel, options, recommendations, implementation and evaluation of sensitive or confidential initiatives, special projects and emerging issues.
- Analyzes and resolves operational business issues. Handles sensitive matters on behalf of leadership with discretion and independent judgment.
- Identifies and leads strategic projects which support Faculty initiatives and deliver required outcomes.
- Provides senior level change management advocacy to achieve acceptance of changes within the Faculty and the University.
- Facilitates scoping and prioritization for projects and initiatives, engaging the right senior stakeholders as required.
Key Skills and Experience:
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to negotiate, consult, influence and build consensus at the highest levels
- Exceptional analytical and conceptual skills with proven ability to adapt to new situations and develop creative solutions to complex strategic and operational challenges
- Outstanding planning skills and a demonstrated ability to establish and communicate a long-term strategic vision and manage large-scale resources in a large, complex organization
- Superior leadership and management skills including financial acumen
- Required: Advanced degree in business or management (e.g. MBA) with 10 years of relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree with 10 plus years of relevant experience
- Ability to successfully manage diverse operations in higher education or similar environment
- Demonstrated experience in leading change to deliver successful outcomes
In accordance with the Handbook of Employment for Management and Professional Staff (Excluded), this full-time continuing position offers an annual salary range of $99,829 to $166,389, which will be commensurate with qualifications.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
Dean Of Faculty Of Applied Science And Textiles, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 5 hours ago
THE HONG KONG POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) is a government-funded tertiary institution in Hong Kong. It offers programmes at various levels including Doctor...
Faculty Board Member/Managing Director Of The University College Groningen, University of Groningen, Netherlands, 2 days ago
The Faculty Board has two members. The Managing Director of the Faculty is particularly responsible for the personnel, finance and accommodation portfolio. Together with the Dean, the Managing Dir...
Assistant Professor In Organization Studies (Tenured), Tilburg University, Netherlands, 5 days ago
The Department of Organization Studies at Tilburg School of Social and Behavioral Sciences (TSB) invites applications for a tenure track assistant professor in Organization Studies to begin prefer...
Budget Director, Boston Children's Hospital, United States, about 17 hours ago
At Boston Children's Hospital, success is measured in patients treated, parents comforted and teams taught. It's in discoveries made, processes perfected, and technology advanced through major med...
The College Director Of Research Development And Advancement, Arizona State University, United States, about 5 hours ago
65415BR Campus: Tempe Director Job Description The inaugural Director of Research Development and Advancement at The College will design and grow the yet-to-be-established Research Development & S...
Faculty Board Member/Managing Director Of The University College Groningen, University of Groningen, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Organisation The University College Groningen (UCG) is a faculty of the University of Groningen that started a Liberal Arts and Sciences programme in September 2014. The UCG Liberal Arts and Scien...