This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
Location - North campus. This role is in person
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
The Alberta Law Reform Institute is located at the University of Alberta as an affiliated Institute. The Institute has been located at the University since its inception in 1967. The Institute has been the catalyst for many changes in the Alberta legal system. Many of these changes have been of a systemic nature and have had a significant impact on the life of Albertans.The Institute has two main objectives:
1. The consideration of matters of law reform with a view to proposing to the appropriate authority the means by which law of Alberta may be made more useful and effective.
2. The preparation of proposals for law reform in Alberta, with respect to both the substantive law and the administration of justice.
With a reputation for excellence in research, our legal staff supported by a small administrative group and Board work to develop recommendations for change to the laws of Alberta.
For more information visit: https://www.alri.ualberta.ca/
Reporting to the Finance and Operations Manager, the Executive Assistant is responsible for providing a range of administrative support to the Executive Director, the Board and Legal Counsel. The Executive Assistant provides support to the Executive Director of the Alberta Law Reform Institute in managing her calendar and preparing materials. One of the main duties is to manage preparations for monthly meetings of the Board of Directors, compiling and distributing the meeting materials, as well as logistic preparations. This role also supports legal project work taken on by Legal Counsel. This position is very central to any new information coming into the organization and providing guidance to how it is managed.
1. Support the Board of Directors (30%)
- For 8-10 meetings per year, Draft meeting agendas and prepare materials, confirm attendance, arrange meeting logistics including travel arrangements, prepare and distribute minutes
2. Support the Executive Director: (30%)
- Coordinate the Executive Director’s calendar and materials
- Prepare correspondence; create or format and edit a variety of documents (including confidential materials) for meetings and presentations
- Format annual Business Plan and track progress
- In the absence of the Executive Director, ensure that any important correspondence is referred to the proper person
3. Support Legal Counsel (15%)
- Provide general administrative support for legal counsel’s project work
- Prepare presentations, format publications, arrange project committee meetings
- Carry out standard legal research for legislation, cases, and articles using on-line database
4. Institute Operations (25%)
- Act as the Institute’s corporate secretary and manage Federal filing obligations
- Create and update MS Word templates for use by staff
- Manage Institute’s administrative files – create files, log and file correspondence
- Format reports for publication, including footnotes, using advanced word processing and knowledge of proper legal citation
- Make travel arrangements and expense claims for Institute staff, and Board members
- Prepare online surveys and manage consultation responses
- Maintain physical and digital archive of Institute files and Board meeting minutes
- Assist with Event Planning
- Undergraduate degree or completion of diploma or certificate program preferred; or
High School Diploma with equivalent experience
- Five years of related experience in a post-secondary environment, Government or law firm
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (including Advanced Word skills), Adobe Acrobat, iOS Apps, Gmail, and Google Docs
- Experience using transcription software such as Otter.ai
- Excellent proofreading and business writing skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong commitment to confidentiality, professionalism, tact and diplomacy.
- Experience searching on-line legal databases
- Event planning and travel arrangement experience would be an asset.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Events Manager School Of Law, Emory University, United States, 22 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Director Of Development, Harvard University, United States, 28 days ago
09-May-2023 University Administration 62497BR Job Summary Reports to: Executive Director, Salata Institute for Climate and Sustainability (primary) and has a dotted-line reporting relationship wit...
Associate Director Of Programs, Harvard University, United States, 16 days ago
19-May-2023 University Administration 62621BR Job Summary The Harvard Global Health Institute (HGHI) is an interfaculty initiative that facilitates collaboration across the Harvard community and p...
Trb/2023/00039 Open Notice For Call For Msc Hiring, Project Interface, Investimento Re C05 I02 – Missão Interface No. 03/C05 I02/2022, Funded By The European Union/Next Generation Eu, Through Programa De Recuperação E Resiliência (Prr), Instituto de Telecomunicações, Portugal, 18 days ago
19 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Instituto de Telecomunicações Department Instituto de Telecomunicações Research Field Juridical sciences » Labour law Juridical sciences » Other Re...
Laboremploylaweb, Labor & Employment Law, United States, about 6 hours ago
Program ID:Cornell -Outreach -LABOREMPLOYLAWEB [#24845, WDR-00037088] Program Title: Labor & Employment Law Education Associate/Senior Associate Labor and Employment Law Program - HYBRID Location...
General Manager, Harvard University, United States, 28 days ago
Job Summary As a direct report to the Managing Director, the General Manager is a key stakeholder in the institution’s administration overseeing many organizational functions, providing guidance a...