Situated in the Faculty of Engineering, this position reports to the Chair of the Department of Chemical Engineering. The workplace for this position is on-campus at McGill University; must be able and willing to comply with COVID regulations, adhering to all University, Quebec and Canadian policies and procedures.
- Participates in projects and experiments in the field of instrumentation and automation, electronics, or electricity. Discusses the orientation and technical demands of the projects. Reviews, selects and modifies methodology. Assumes responsibility for the technical aspects in the execution of these projects.
- Devises, designs and builds electronic and electrical circuitry (AC/DC) as well as machinery. Modifies and installs various machines or circuits.
- Draws plans, schematic diagrams and writes technical documents and specifications for laboratory equipment and set ups involving electronics, instrumentation and automation.
- Designs and builds assemblies by interfacing electronic devices with mechanical components for control and measuring purposes (eg. data acquisition systems, ADC converters, equipment integration using analog signals and RS232 protocols, LabVIEW and Arduino). Conducts required testing. Mounts and secures equipment and incorporates safety interrupts and emergency stops.
- Assembles, from plans, electrical circuits, electronic equipment and networks; installs required cabling and connections.
- Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Provides technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the use of equipment and techniques, and the analysis of results.
- Compiles data. Prepares reports. Analyses and discusses results and their interpretation with others. Maintains records and files.
- Maintains equipment and performs repairs. Arranges and schedules servicing.
- Maintains inventory. Recommends and purchases equipment and material.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
- Uses equipment such multimeters, oscilloscopes, function generators, probes, data acquisition equipment, soldering equipment, 3D printers, computers, drills and power tools.
- Setups and diagnoses lab computers used for teaching and research. Provides information, instruction and assistance concerning the use of hardware and software. Acts as resource person and troubleshoots problems. Resolves problems within area of expertise.
- Installs, tests, configures and upgrades hardware and software at the workstation level.
- Acts as Asset Management of computer equipment in accordance with McGill’s IT Asset Management Regulations and ensures that the department adheres to McGill’s IT policies and best practices.
- Provides guidance for IT related issues in the department which involved basic troubleshooting and escalating to the appropriate contact or service, where necessary.
- Acts as main backup to the Chemical Engineering storekeeper and to other members of the Chemical Engineering team of technicians, as necessary and according to areas of expertise.
- Supports the organization of network management by assigning IP addresses, etc. and updating the active directory
- The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education and Experience:
- DEC III (Electronics Technology) 4 years of related experience
Qualifications and Skills:
Attention to detail. Demonstrated organizational skills. Experience in the tools, machinery, devices, platforms, etc. referenced above in the list of duties, as well as experience in network management. Proven ability to react quickly and efficiently to solve problems. English, spoken and written. French spoken and written.
This position does not have an end date.
How to Apply:
Current McGill employees must apply via internal postings. These are accessed using the ‘Find Jobs’ report in Workday.
Applicants who are not current McGill employees must apply via external postings. The website will direct you to create a Workday account. Please note, you must use a personal email address when creating this account. Do not use @mail.mcgill.ca or @mcgill.ca email addresses.
Please refer to the job aid: Applying at McGill Guide for External Candidates
Minimum Education and Experience:
DEC III - Electronics Technology 4 Years Related Experience /
(MUNACA Level 11) $23.88 - $32.93
Hours per Week:
35 (Full time)
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, email@example.com or 514-398-3711.
Teaching Assistant, Electrical And Computer Engineering, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 7 days ago
Job Description The Department of Electrical and Computer at National University of Singapore (NUS) invites application for a Teaching Assistant position. Successful candidates are expected to- Co...
Senior Scientist (M / F / D), 40 Hours / Week, Expected From June 1, 2021, At Graz University Of..., Graz University of Technology, Austria, 15 days ago
Senior Scientist (m / f / d), 40 hours / week, expected from June 1, 2021, at the Institute for Physical and Theoretical Chemistry, Graz University of Technology. Conditions for registration: • Re...
Hqipdi, Harvard Quantum Initiative, United States, about 21 hours ago
Fellowship ID:Harvard University -Harvard Quantum Initiative -HQIPDI [#18517] Fellowship Title: HQI Postdoctoral Fellowship [Internal Candidates] Fellowship Type:Postdoctoral Location:Cambridge, ...
Wissenschaftliche*R Mitarbeiter*In (W/M/D) (Department ‚Wood Technology And Wood Based Composites) (Id 15521), Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, about 3 hours ago
Einrichtung: Department ‚Wood Technology and Wood-based Composites (ID 15521) Ansprechpartner: Prof. Dr. Kai Zhang Besetzungsdatum: 01.09.2021 Veröffentlichungsdatum: 05.05.2021 In the Department ...
Associate And Or Assistant Professors In Embedded Systems And Electronics In Odense, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, 14 days ago
Electrical Engineering at the Department of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering of the University of Southern Denmark is located on the international campus in Odense and...
Senior Scientist (M / F / D), 40 Hours / Week, Expected From June 1, 2021, At Graz University Of..., Graz University of Technology, Austria, 21 days ago
Senior Scientist (m / f / d), 40 hours / week, expected from June 1, 2021, at the Institute for Physical and Theoretical Chemistry, Graz University of Technology Conditions for registration: • Rel...