PH School of Public Health
Competition No. - S109140535
Posting Date - Nov 22, 2019
Closing Date - Nov 29, 2019
Position Type - Full Time - Operating Funded
Salary Range - $58,675 to $81,208 per year
Grade - 10
Hours - 35
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
Under the immediate direction of the Vice Dean, but working in conjunction with the Associate/Assistant Deans, the Educational Programs Lead provides significant input into the development of SPH graduate academic programs, oversees the development of effective graduate recruitment and advising strategies, and enhances graduate student success by ensuring supervisor and student compliance with Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research (FGSR) and program requirements. This position is responsible for the development of standardized education-related procedures and practices as well as the financial accountabilities, and is a member of various graduate program committees within the School, including co-chairing committees centered on educational quality and accreditation. As the School is currently working on developing undergraduate programs, this position will also assist in the planning, establishment and provision of support to these additional programs.
- In collaboration with the Vice Dean and Associate Deans, develop strategies, timelines and metrics for academic program initiatives including distance-based programs, new joint graduate degrees and professional certificate programs, as well as the emerging undergraduate courses and certificate programs in the SPH.
- Manages and leads aspects of professional education programs in the SPH as they pertain to the admissions, tracking, and awarding of free-standing professional certificates being developed and soon to be offered by the SPH.
- Supports the Awards Committee that determines the principles and adjudication criteria for student awards and scholarships; coordinates the process for the selection of students for scholarships and awards in the School; ensures qualified students are aware of award opportunities provided by external agencies, the School and FGSR, and encourages students to apply.
- Composes correspondence on behalf of the Associate Deans directed to FGSR, students and staff.
- Helps resolve student issues but determines when to consult with Associate Deans and/or Vice Dean when resolving exceptional and challenging student situations; assists students in accessing School and University resources; lobbies for improvements to programs.
- Ensures that administrative and advisory support is provided for the academic program committees.
- Coordinates the process for approving, recruiting and training Graduate Teaching Assistants (GTA); identifies requirement for and monitor GTA budget; reviews evaluations of GTAs to determine re-appointments.
- Works with School human resources staff to ensure that payroll functions for graduate students are efficiently carried out; Initiates review of School payments for graduate students as appropriate.
- Under the direction of the Vice Dean, coordinates the process for timetabling, and ensures that the instructors assigned by the Vice Dean are aware of their teaching assignments and schedules for the upcoming academic year.
- Ensures that all sessional instructors, as appointed by the Vice Dean, have Academic Teaching Staff (ATS) contracts in place for the upcoming academic year.
- Responsible for supervisory functions of non-academic staff within the Office of Educational Programs including the hiring, assignment of duties, training, performance appraisal. Persistent problems in employee performance are brought forward to the Vice Dean for follow up and disciplinary action if necessary.
- Provides clear and timely direction to staff, including performance expectation, policy and process changes.
- Redistributes workloads among staff in the Office of Educational Programs, as necessary, and in order to meet deadlines.
- Monitors the ongoing needs of the team to ensure that resources are used effectively.
- Assigns/delegates special projects as needed.
- Gives staff specific opportunities, wherever possible, to support the professional development of capabilities and skills as part of continuous quality improvement in the Office of Educational Programs.
- Engages in continuous self development by exploring opportunities to enhance own skills and abilities.
- Fosters an empowered work environment among employees within the Office of Educational Programs.
- Develops effective and efficient systems and processes within the Office of Educational Programs to provide a high level of service and support to graduate students, supervisors, and educational program committees.
- Develops collaborative inter-faculty relationships with other Educational Program Directors/Managers/Leaders across the University of Alberta with the explicit intent to share information, develop knowledge and adopt best management practices for operations in the School’s Office of Educational Programs.
- Acts as a role model for desired behaviours when dealing with change.
- Ensures the team members understand how team objectives support the organization’s business goals.
- Establishes and monitor relevant metrics and indicators of educational quality and performance that align with CEPH accreditation requirements and university-related internal quality reviews (i.e., President’s Visiting Committee, Graduate Review Committee, etc.), and contributes to the collection and analysis of other important metrics pertaining to effectiveness of academic programs (e.g., Applicant Surveys, Alumni Survey, Graduate Student Exit Survey, etc.).
- Participates as a voting member of the Committee for Educational Quality (CEQ), a committee focused on ensuring that all academic programs meet internal U of A quality assurance expectations (i.e., President’s Review Committee, Graduate Review Committee) and external accreditation requirements (i.e., CEPH).
- Organizes accreditation visits from internal and external accreditation bodies.
- Assists in the writing of accreditation reports, and provide/organizes the necessary data and analysis needed for reporting to accrediting bodies.
- In collaboration with the Associate Deans and Marketing and Alumni Relations team, develop and implement effective graduate/undergraduate student recruitment strategies domestically as well as internationally.
- Provides advice and interpret School and University admission information for applicants and faculty.
- Ensures that the Office of Educational Programs staff provides clear correspondence with applicants when they inquire about their admission status and admission criteria and appropriately advises unsuccessful applications to assist with future application, or developing other options.
- In conjunction with the Marketing and Alumni Relations team, develop and implement measures to evaluate the effectiveness of the School's educational programs, such as the analysis of statistical information, implementing student exit surveys, applicant surveys, employee surveys, etc.
- Compiles information about students as required for the Marketing and Alumni Relations team to help in the strategic marketing of our public health programs across Canada and internationally.
- Post-secondary education of a Bachelor's degree.
- Supervisory experience is an asset.
- Demonstrated 3-5 years experience in student services, student mentorship and administration of educational programs at a post-secondary institution is needed.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with excellent management aptitudes and leadership skills.
- Experience in project management related to complex projects, and ability to meet deadlines under stressful circumstances.
- Strong teamwork and motivational skills.
How to Apply
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
Graduate Programs And Special Events Coordinator, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human p...
Executive/ Senior Executive (Executive Education & Graduate Program), National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 3 hours ago
Executive/ Senior Executive (Executive Education & Graduate Program) - 00C6J Description Executive training programs / events Provide admin and logistic supports to Program Directors in all execut...
Senior Administrative Affairs Assistant (Graduate Studies), American University in Cairo, Egypt, about 2 hours ago
Reports to:Assistant to Dean Purpose:Provides a wide variety of administrative and program support and secretarial work for the Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies. Serves as the primary point ...
Executive Director For Student Success, Northern State University, United States, about 5 hours ago
Posting Details Posting Details Logo https://pa-hrsuite-production.s3.amazonaws.com/1225/docs/115824.png Institution Northern State University Working Title Executive Director for Student Success ...
Director Of Dean's Office, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 26 days ago
Job Description Coordinate the Dean’s office and under Dean’s guidance manage various initiatives Develop, execute and manage the College of Food and Agriculture strategic plan following recent st...
Senior Specialist, Student Health And Wellness, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
Organization Name Khalifa Univeristy - College of Medicine and Health Sciences About University The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines the asdar Institu...