This competition is open to all applicants however internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority consideration before external candidates. Please indicate your internal status using the "Advertisement" drop down menu when applying.
This position has a term length of 1 year plus one day with the possibility of extension and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
The Education Program Lead coordinates and oversees the administration activities supporting the department’s education programs. The position works closely with the Associate Chair, Education and the Program Directors to support the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) accredited residency training programs in pediatrics. The education team supports activities in undergraduate pediatric education, general pediatrics, subspecialty residency programs, fellowships and graduate education.
Reporting to the Academic Department Manager, the Education Program Lead supervises a team of Program Administrators and Coordinators who provide day to day administration of education programs in the department. This includes providing regular guidance to residents, fellows, graduate and undergraduate learners on various aspects of their training programs. The Education Program Lead coordinates learner recruitment, registration and graduation activities. The Education Program Lead has supervisory, budgetary, and committee responsibilities and is responsible for writing and/or editing all major sources of reference for the education office.
Education Program Support (50%)
- Oversees program budgets, and develops reports for the PGME program grants and PGME learning resources
- Provides data and analysis to the Associate Chair, Education regarding financial issues to support decision making
- Reviews and verifies monthly preceptor payments for the department
- P-card holder for education
- Acts as internal control for SupplyNET orders under $500
- Coordinates interprets and disseminates information from;
- FoMD Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME), Undergraduate Medical Education (UME)
- Graduate Studies related to the department's education programs
- General Pediatrics
- Subspecialty residency programs
- Ensures the team has knowledge of and complies with policies and procedures of the University, Faculty and RCPSC
- Oversees accreditation of all pediatric residency programs with the RCPSC and Graduate Studies Program, ensuring timelines are met. Provides advice and acts as a resource to Program Directors and Program Administrators on program accreditation processes and documentation.
- Oversees coordination of the Canadian Residency Matching Service (CaRMS) process for the department including the Specialty and Subspecialty residency programs. Provides advice and acts as a resource to Program Directors and Program Administrators.
- Oversees admission activities for fellowship positions including registration of international Trainees.
- Ensures appropriate examiners are available for education sessions, examinations and Objective Structured Clinical Exams (OSCEs). Ensures timely and accurate completion of listed objectives.
- Oversees the resident annual farewell/graduation ceremony including resident, student and teaching awards selection process are timely, accurate and within budget.
- Prepares education reports for the Chair, Academic Department Manager, Associate Chair - Education
- Supervises education team including providing work direction and conflict resolution that influence the team operation and deliverables.
- Liaises with Program Directors to ensure the level of administration support is effective and efficient.
- Coordinates orientation and training of new team members
- Recognize staff developmental needs and cross training opportunities
- Completes annual staff appraisals including gathering feedback from appropriate stakeholders.
- Manages escalating performance management to the appropriate stakeholder using coaching, counselling and supervision
- Liaises with Human Resources to develop job fact sheet (JFS), recruit and select staff
- Manages staff resources within the Education team, ensuring appropriate levels of support and coverage are available
- Develops efficient workflow processes for the team: identifying when exceptions are appropriate for specific divisions, evaluate effectiveness, re-design workflows and processes
- Enables continuous improvement of administration with education programs, processes and procedures in order to provide exceptional service solutions
Education Programs Committee Membership (10%)
- Department Representative on PGME Administrators Working Group, PGME Committee, UME Clerkship Administrators Committee, DoP Education Advisory Committee
- Provides input and advice regarding education programs, processes and procedures through participation in the Department of Postgraduate Education Committee.
- Attends Residency Program Committees for programs as required.
- Ensure appropriate communication of decisions and outcomes with relevant stakeholders
- Undergraduate degree required (ie. business, commerce or adult education)
- Possesses 3 to 7 years of experience hiring, supervising, mentoring, and managing employee performance within a large, complex, unionized environment. Prior U of A experience in a supervisory role is considered an asset.
- Previous experience in medical education or related field is considered an asset
- Demonstrate ability to develop and maintain positive, professional, collaborative working relationships with all stakeholders at all organizational levels
- Demonstrate ongoing excellent communication with all stakeholders from a wide variety of cultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrate ability to manage time and workload effectively and meet deadlines
- Demonstrate ability to apply and adhere to strict confidentiality guidelines, FOIPP, records management protocols, and all relevant university policies
- Demonstrate knowledge of the University of Alberta and RCPSC and policies and procedures and medical education residency programs are considered an asset
- Demonstrate proficiency with One45, Peoplesoft, SupplyNET, MS Office and Google applications
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Assistant/Associate Professor/Professor Pediatrics (Psychiatry) (Job Id #156133), University of Illinois, United States, about 21 hours ago
The Department of Pediatrics, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Peoria is seeking pediatricians with expertise in Pediatric Psychiatry at the level of Assistant/Associate Professor or ...
Program Director, Student Academic Support Services, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 25 days ago
Job Description Program Director Student Academic Support Services) -(Academic Sector Job Purpose Reporting to the Assistant Dean for Medical Education at Khalifa University’s College of Medicine...
Physician Assistant Program Director Medical Education, Pennsylvania State University, United States, 17 days ago
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: CURRENT PENN STATE EMPLOYEE (faculty, staff, technical service, or student), please login to Workday to complete the internal application process . Please do not apply h...
Manager, First Year Program, Office Of Student Life, American University in Cairo, Egypt, 12 days ago
Reports to: Senior Director, Office of Student Life Purpose: The job holder manages The American University in Cairo’s (AUC) first year program for new undergraduate students; coordinates and imp...
Manager, Programming And Training, Office Of Residential Life, American University in Cairo, Egypt, about 16 hours ago
Reports to: Director, Residential Life Job purpose: The job holder is the departmental leader for the development and management of residential life’s holistic student programming strategy. As the...
Assistant Dean Csoe San Diego, Alliant International University, United States, about 15 hours ago
Alliant International University is a professional practice University committed to excellence in four areas: Education for Professional Practice, Scholarship, Multicultural and International Com...