Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply.
If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or position at McGill University), do not apply through this Career Site. Login to your McGill Workday account and apply to this posting using the Find Jobs report (type Find Jobs in the search bar).
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, organizes details of events such as conferences, seminars, workshops, and reunions. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others and participates in their training. Liaises with client to determine requirements. Coordinates all arrangements and ensures the smooth functioning of these events. Maintains records. Monitors and administers operating fund or accounts.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organizes details of events such as conferences, seminars, workshops, receptions and reunions. Organizes, distributes and verifies the work of others, and participates in their training.
- Liaises with client to determine requirements and discuss arrangements. Coordinates all arrangements such as locations, room bookings, setups, cleanliness, staffing, seating, food and bar service and equipment rentals. Prepares items such as name tags, lists of attendees and agendas.
- Maintains records concerning eligible or potential attendees. Obtains lists and other data. Verifies, arranges, and reviews data. Types, proofreads, edits, assembles and disseminates mailings. Coordinates typesetting, printing, and mass mailings.
- Liaises with speakers. Makes travel and hotel arrangements. Prepares travel expense reports for reimbursement of speakers. Receives papers to be presented. Ensures they are edited and submitted to appropriate publication.
- Promotes and provides information on University facilities and services. Provides quotations for clients. Contacts and recruits volunteers for certain events.
- Attends events to monitor arrangements and ensures smooth functioning of all activities. Liaises with facilities personnel and suppliers of contracted services. Solves problems that arise during events. Liaises with appropriate units regarding security services and safety regulations.
- Collects and deposits fee payments. Monitors costs. Verifies accuracy of all expenses. Discusses adjustments to invoices for unsatisfactory services.
- Processes liquor applications or liaises with appropriate unit to have applications processed. May monitor purchase and sale of alcoholic beverages, including inventory and budget control.
- Makes recommendations to supervisor concerning new contracts or renewals with suppliers of contracted services. Monitors operation of services according to agreements. Verifies accuracy of commissions.
- Maintains an inventory of materials and supplies appropriate to the activities of the unit. Places orders to replenish stock.
- Monitors and administers operating funds and accounts. Reviews statements of expenses and revenues. Prepares budgets according to guidelines. Compiles data and prepares reports and statistics.
- Work processes drafts, correspondence and reports. Composes correspondence and reports.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
Proven event planning experience required. Demonstrated organizational skills, and ability to multi-task. Ability to clearly transmit and receive information as well as good interpersonal skills for communicating with students, faculty members and departmental administrators and other institutions. Proven ability to provide excellent customer service. Accuracy, strong attention to detail, resourcefulness, ability to prioritize and meet multiple deadlines. Proven ability to draft correspondence, to proofread text and edit documents. Able to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to work and troubleshoot in a PC environment using word-processing, spreadsheets and presentation software, Adobe PDF, HTML and database packages; Banner, Minerva, McGill Marketplace. Knowledge of English and French, spoken and written. McGill University is an English-language university where day-to-day duties may require English communication both verbally and in writing. The level of English required for this position has been assessed at a level #4 on a scale of 0-4.
Minimum Education and Experience:
DEP - Office Systems 3 Years Related Experience / DEP - Secretarial Studies
(MUNACA Level F) $29.42 - $36.46
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Director Career Services
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, [email protected] .
Liaison Librarian, RMIT University, Australia, 5 days ago
Overview: RMIT University Vietnam (RMIT Vietnam) is a campus of RMIT University. RMIT Vietnam is creating an innovative research, teaching and learning culture. We are committed to providing inter...
M.Sc. & Ph.D. Positions At Mc Gill University In Computational Analysis Of Behavior And Brain Dynamics With Computer Vision/Machine Learning, Canadian Association for Neuroscience, Canada, about 20 hours ago
Positions Overview: The Mohajerani lab (https://douglas.research.mcgill.ca/majid-mohajerani/ ) at McGill University is seeking prospective M.Sc. or Ph.D. to join our lab for Winter 2025 semester. ...
Receipt & Copy Cataloging Specialist, University of Pittsburgh, United States, 1 day ago
Receipt & Copy Cataloging Specialist Technical Services - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (24001578) Works as a member of the Catalog Management Unit. Performs an integrated set of tasks to order, recei...
The Carter Center: Events Coordinator, Emory University, United States, 4 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Associate Director Of Alumni & Parent Relations, Wesleyan University, United States, about 8 hours ago
Position Information Position Information Job Posting Number S01289 Position Title Associate Director of Alumni & Parent Relations Department Alumni & Parent Rel-1085 Job Category Staff Posting Po...
Regulatory Compliance Officer , European Space Agency, Netherlands, 25 days ago
Vacancy in the Directorate of Commercialisation, Industry and Competitiveness. ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive...