About the Position
- Area of Specialization: Canada Excellence Research Chair in Any Discipline
- Faculty: Any of Carleton University’s 5 Faculties, including the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Public Affairs, Faculty of Engineering and Design, Faculty of Science, or Sprott School of Business
- Category of Appointment: Tenured
- Rank: Associate/Full Professor
- Start Date: July 1, 2023
- Closing Date: Complete applications will be considered starting March 18, 2022
The Government of Canada designed the Canada Excellence Research Chairs (CERC) Program to attract Canadian and international leading scientists and scholars, and their teams, who can positively contribute to Canada’s global competitiveness and well-being, spark the creation of new services and policies that support Canada’s economic competitiveness, help sustain the environment, and improve quality of life. Through this program, Chairholders will be awarded up to $1 million per year for a period of 8 years. Carleton University invites applications from outstanding scholars to be considered as candidates for a CERC in any academic discipline at the University.
The successful candidates will be high-profile, senior research scholars with established international reputations, demonstrated by the quality of their research track records and letters of reference from researchers of high international stature in their fields. Chairholders are expected to initiate and develop new directions of research that will complement and expand upon current research activity at Carleton, and actively contribute to knowledge mobilization within and beyond the academic community. Applicants from outside the academic sector will be considered and must possess qualifications for a full-time, tenure track academic appointment at the Associate/Full Professor level. All CERC appointments are subject to review and approval by the CERC Secretariat. All academic hiring is conducted in full compliance with university policies.
Interested applicants are encouraged to reach out to the academic department in which they are interested to explore how their research program would fit with individual departmental strategic goals. For a complete list of departments/academic units at Carleton University, please consult the webpage at: https://carleton.ca/academics/departments/ .
Senior applicants must be full professors or associate professors expected to be promoted to full professor within one or two years of the nomination. Alternatively, if they come from outside the academic sector, nominees must possess the qualifications necessary to be appointed at these levels.
The applicants will:
- be recognized as outstanding and innovative research leaders whose accomplishments have had a significant international impact;
- have a superior record of obtaining competitive external research funding and attracting and supervising graduate students and postdoctoral fellows;
- demonstrated potential for outstanding teaching contributions;
- propose an original, innovative, collaborative research program of the highest quality that demonstrates leadership in considering EDI, including for identity factors, such as race, ethnicity, sex, gender, religion, age, and mental or physical disability, through gender-based analysis plus (GBA+) or sex- and gender-based analysis plus (SGBA+), at all stages in the research process
The program imposes no restrictions on nominees regarding nationality or country of residence. Employment and Social Development Canada and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada have established procedures to allow non-Canadian chairholders to work in Canada. Members of the Chair’s team may also be eligible for an expedited work permit.
For more information and any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Canada Excellence Research Chairs program
Consult the government website for complete information about the Canada Excellence Research Chairs Program .
Applications, sent via email to email@example.com in one single PDF document should include:
- a letter of interest stating the department/school the applicant envisages as their home unit, a brief eight-year research program plan that is responsive to Carleton’s Strategic Integrated Plan , and a statement that identifies the applicant’s strengths in advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in their discipline as well as future plans.
- an up-to-date curriculum vitae
Successful applicants will be asked to arrange for three supporting letters of reference to be sent separately at a later date.
To help us develop our equity programs, a confidential equity and diversity self-identification survey will be sent to all applicants separately.
About Carleton University
Located in Ottawa, Carleton is an innovative teaching and research institution with a tradition of leading change. Internationally recognized academics, staff, and researchers engage more than 31,000 students in over 100 programs of study. Carleton has long been known for promoting research excellence and connectedness and is involved in partnerships around the globe. With strong leadership, it enjoys a healthy financial position and our proximity to government and cultural institutions, media, and a thriving knowledge economy make Carleton and Ottawa a great place to work, learn, and live. Our picturesque campus is fully accessible and, along with award-winning student services, Carleton’s Paul Menton Centre for Students with Disabilities has been heralded as the gold standard for disability support services in Canada. Learn more about our university and the city of Ottawa .
We are strongly committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the nomination and appointment process. Carleton University is committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our university including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression. Furthermore, Carleton understands that career paths vary and interruptions will not prejudice the assessment process and their impact will be carefully considered. We invite you to review our revitalized Indigenous strategy, Kinàmàgawin and visit our Department of Equity and Inclusive Communities for information about our commitment to leadership in the areas of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Accessibility is one of the university’s strategic priorities and applicants selected for an interview are asked to contact the Chair as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements so that appropriate arrangements may be made.
All positions are subject to budgetary approval.
Tuesday, February 15, 2022 | Categories: CRC , FASS , FED , FPA , Job Postings , Science , Sprott
Share: Twitter , Facebook
Short URL: https://carleton.ca/deputyprovost/?p=1176
Casual Research Assistant, McGill University, Canada, about 15 hours ago
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply. If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or positio...