Faculty of Engineering - Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
Competition No. - S103631269D1
Posting Date - Jul 04, 2017
Closing Date - Jul 11, 2017
Position Type - Full Time - Grant Funded
Salary Range - $57,628 to $78,270 per year
Grade - 08
Hours - 40
This position has an expected end date of one year from the date of hire, with the possibility of extension, and offers a comprehensive benefits package that can be viewed at: www.hrs.ualberta.ca
The Faculty of Engineering is looking for a Biophysics and Molecular Research Assistant to join the Engineering team in the Ingenuity Lab.
The Biophysics & Molecular Research Assistant will support the research needs of Ingenuity Lab by providing the knowledge and experience necessary to use computer simulations to complement experiments performed in Ingenuity Lab throughout a broad portfolio of projects.
- Conducts Molecular Dynamics simulations following the instructions of senior researchers
- Conducts data analysis/interpretation following the instructions of senior researchers
- Writes programs that will model the behavior of molecules in various conditions, including creating computational models, performing literature searches and determining best types of models
- Assists in preparing project data summaries, presentations and reports
- Assists in managing research records and data to ensure that all information is properly stored (including backups, organized, and accessible)
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in biophysics, supplemented by biophysics/molecular post-secondary education; Master’s preferred; equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
- 4 years of working experience in molecular modelling
- Good general knowledge and understanding of biophysics and molecular dynamics simulations
- Experience in writing reports and scientific papers
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to perform simulations based on direction and procedures provided by senior researchers; ability to generate and maintain accurate records
- Research experience in organic-inorganic interfaces and drug design
- Must be capable of programming and scripting languages such as Python and Shell
- Experience in several major bio-molecular, material science modeling packages such as LAMMPS, AMBER and NAMD
- Experience in using visualization softwares such as MOE and VMD
- Must be capable and willing to learn and gain ability to make decisions on modelling procedures or troubleshooting/debugging
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills; accuracy and attention to detail
- Adaptable, self-motivated individual, able to work well in a team and independently
The Faculty of Engineering is committed to a culture of effectiveness, trust and execution. Along with your resume, please submit a cover letter that outlines how you would contribute to this type of culture and why you feel you are the right fit for this position. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
How to Apply
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
Postdoc/Assistant Professor In Biophysics And Molecular Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 2 days ago
The Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) has the following vacancy: Postdoc/Assistant Professor in the field of Molecular Engineering for Biomolecular Sensing within the department of Biomedi...
] Faculty Positions In Chemical And Biomolecular Engineering At Cornell University , , United States, about 5 hours ago
The ROBERT F. SMITH SCHOOL OF CHEMICAL AND BIOMOLECULAR ENGINEERING AT CORNELL UNIVERSITY, Ithaca, New York invites applications for multiple tenured or tenure-track faculty positions in chemical ...
Professor (With Special Responsibilities) In Surface Physical Chemistry, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 17 hours ago
Apply no later than 20 October 2017 Apply for the job at Technical University of Denmark by completing the following form. Apply online DTU Chemistry at Technical University of Denmark invites app...
Assistant Or Associate Professor, Tenure (Track), University of British Columbia, Canada, 2 days ago
The School of Biomedical Engineering at The University of British Columbia invites applications for two positions at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor, tenure or tenure track. The anti...
Assistant Professor Chemistry (Job Id #86323), University of Illinois, United States, about 23 hours ago
The University of Illinois at Chicago, Department of Chemistry in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences invites applications for a tenure track assistant professor in the fields of biophysical ...
] Faculty Position In Molecular/Cell Bioengineering, , United States, 4 days ago
Faculty Position in Molecular/Cell Bioengineering Department of Biological Engineering Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Cambridge, MA The MIT Department of Biological Engineering invite...