Department of Biological Sciences UNB Saint John
Competition #: #068-17.18 Closing Date: August 28, 2017 4:00pm
Employment Group: C.U.P.E. Salary or Rate: $21.15 - $27.19 Per Hour
Employment Date:(tentative) As soon as possible Hours per Week: Full-Time (36.25 HPW)
Position Length:(tentative) Up to 1 Year Term, Leave Replacement with the possibility of extension Funding: University Budget
Note : Applications will be accepted from any qualified candidates including current employees who may wish to consider a temporary assignment.
Reporting to the Chair, the primary role of the Biological Sciences Technician is to support undergraduate labs taught in the department, with emphasis on Biology and Chemistry. The team of Biological Sciences Technicians prepares and dismantles lab materials, maintains and inventories all lab equipment and chemicals, maintains living specimens, and provides technical advice to faculty, staff, undergraduate students, and graduate students.
· Review lab procedures with the lab instructor and make any necessary modifications to fit resources and time constraints.
· Check inventory of chemicals, specimens, and other equipment required for each lab.
· Place orders for required materials.
· When necessary, collect and prepare specimens.
· Arrange required safety documents and transportation for off campus excursions.
· Prepare chemical solutions and media.
· Provide necessary hardware and equipment.
· Make chemical waste safe for disposal and clean used hardware such as equipment and glassware.
· Track expenditures related to undergraduate course labs.
· Operation, maintenance, and calibration of equipment such as autoclave, spectrophotometer, chemical fume hoods, multiparameter meter, water bath, compound microscopes, dissection microscopes, analytical balances, electrophoresis chambers, and centrifuges.
· Maintain living invertebrates and vertebrates to Canadian Council on Animal Care (CCAC) standards.
· Provision of technical advice and assistance to faculty, staff, undergraduate students, and graduate students. As required, provide assistance on field trips.
· Oversee purchasing and inventories of ethyl alcohol used for research and teaching purposes.
· Attend departmental meeting to provide updates and input pertaining to undergraduate teaching labs.
· Further/enhance the student experience by
oDeveloping new undergraduate lab activities
oProviding demonstrations/experiences for visiting student groups.
oApplying for funding and purchasing of new equipment for teaching.
· Other duties as assigned by the Chair.Requirements
· BSc in Biology, Chemistry, or Environmental Science with 3 years’ working experience in a laboratory with a background in Biology or Chemistry.
· Proficient with Microsoft Office programs.
· Ability to work some evenings.
· Excellent communication, organizational and teamwork skills.
· Ability to work independently and recognize and initiate tasks necessary to the department’s function without supervision.
· Ability to adapt to unscheduled requests for assistance.
· Willingness to acquire First Aid training. Familiarity with WHMIS/GHS would be considered an asset.
For more information, please contact:
Human Resources Room 102
Physics & Admin. Building
UNB Saint John
Financial & Admin. Services
Room 114/115, Oland Hall
We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted ONLY until the end of regular business hours on the closing date.
THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLE OF EMPLOYMENT EQUITY