Reporting to the Senior Director of Student Housing & Hospitality Services (SHHS), the Associate Director, Residence and Building Facilities’ primary responsibility is to define and develop a strategic plan to address the management of a corrective and preventive maintenance program for the overall physical condition, including the quality, safety and infrastructure of approximately 40 buildings and 3 dining halls. This position will also be responsible for the effective management of facilities within SHHS, including general maintenance, projects and deferred maintenance and ensuring excellent customer service through the work order system as well as resolving customer complaints to minimize negative impact on student life within McGill University residences and dining halls.
• Leads the development of short and long-term plans and programs for deferred and preventative maintenance activities, renewal of facilities, and building infrastructure across Student Housing & Hospitality Service properties in compliance with McGill University guidelines.
• Manage facilities operations and maintenance, including contracts with external service providers, budgets, and staffing.
• Oversee deferred maintenance for SHHS: Identify and prioritize objectives, ensuring that the maintenance process is continually improved.
• Works collaboratively with other members of the SHHS leadership team on large scale cyclical events (annual move-in, move-out and transition to and from the summer business model) and on day-to-day operational activities to meet the needs of our diverse student body and respond to issues arising in a 24-7, year-round operational environment.
• Integrates and coordinates building operations activities within the residence organizational and operating structure to ensure efficient, seamless delivery of service to students (work orders, repairs and maintenance).
• Develops, revises and monitors business practices, policies and procedures to increase efficiency and deliver quality, client-centred services.
• Establish, direct and measure an inventory strategy and inspection program for all buildings.
• Define and secure the necessary budgets and manages those budgets.
• Identify and evaluate sources for vendors and suppliers (Mechanical and electrical engineers, plumbing and electrical contractors) on a regular basis for competing quality and pricing.
• Develop short and long-term goals for preventative maintenance and renovation in compliance with the University.
• Oversee all maintenance requests/requirements for all of residences and food services, ensure that a comprehensive preventative maintenance program is implemented to maintain systems and associated equipment at optimum performance.
• Leads all the small scale projects within SHHS; participate as a team member on larger renovations/construction projects in conjunction with the Facilities Management and Ancillary Services (FMAS) project management team.
• Liaises with FMAS project management team to ensure that projects are executed on a timely basis and on budget.
• Conducts regular walk-throughs of all residences and dining halls to assess the upkeep of all residential facilities.
• Leads change within a complex multidisciplinary department.
• Provides leadership solving complex technical and organizational challenges. Addresses issues with stakeholders and clients.
• Represents SHHS and liaises between external and governmental agencies, the university community, administrators and senior administration.
• Ensures that safety standards, procedures and regulatory requirements are enforced.
• Assists and participates in grievances and dispute resolution meetings including labor relations committees, arbitrations and disciplinary meetings.
• Responds to any emergencies in a timely manner in order to ensure a safe and comfortable environment for students in SHHS.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities
Certified member of l’Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec. Broad knowledge of facilities management including building automation systems, HVAC, electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems, and equipment maintenance. Several years of experience in physical plant maintenance, including supervision of staff; experience working in a unionized environment preferred. Ability to supervise and mobilize a diverse team. Proven experience in housing, food services and/or hospitality in a university environment an asset. Courteous with strong customer service orientation, the ability to multi-task and able to work comfortably in a fast paced, student centered environment. Dependable with proficient attention to detail, strong communication and decision making skills. Must be flexible with the ability to adapt to change quickly. Able to exhibit maturity, ethical behavior, professionalism and sound judgement. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and to establish effective working relationships with students, within Student Life & Learning, and with service providers on Campus including Financial Services, Procurement Services, University Services and other faculties, units or departments an asset. Strong analytical background and proficiency in MS Office. Proven team-building, problem solving and negotiation skills. Experience in budget forecasting and analysis. English and French, spoken and written.
Must be available some evenings and weekends. Able to commute between downtown and MacDonald Campus. On call if needed.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree 5 Years Related Experience /
(MPEX Grade 08) $88,700.00 - $133,060.00
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Sr Director SHHS
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, email@example.com or 514-398-3711.
Head Of Facility Management, Centre For Genomic Regulation, Spain, about 1 month ago
The Institute The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. T...
Maintenance Customer Service Manager Bof Central Area (Galveston) 73145, UTMB Health, United States, 17 days ago
Job ID 73145 Job Title Maintenance Customer Service Manager - BOF - Central Area (Galveston) Full/Part Time Full-Time Location Galveston Business Unit FACSV Regular/Temporary Regular Favorite Job ...
Faculty General Manager, University of Alberta, Canada, about 8 hours ago
This competition will remain open until filled, however, applicant considerations will begin Monday, November 23, 2020. Preference will be given to current University of Alberta employees. The Fac...
Lead Scientific Glassblower, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, 13 days ago
Position Summary The KAUST Core Labs are a system of user-shared, centrally governed and multi-disciplinary laboratories with state-of-the-art technologies, supported by over 250 expertly skilled ...
Campus Maintenance Manager City Campus (Current Aut Employees Only), Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand, 3 days ago
Fantastic opportunity in this large organisation to lead AUT's city maintenance team Central Auckland CBD location AUT is New Zealand's newest and third largest University. With more than 28,000 s...
Internal Communications Specialist, Fondazione Human Technopole, Italy, 5 days ago
HT is looking for an Internal Communications Specialist to join our Communications Department. The role, reporting to the Head of Communications and as interim to the Head of HR, will be responsib...