' View more postings
Chemistry - Faculty of Science
The Department of Chemistry at the University of Victoria invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor with expertise in the area of Organic Chemistry. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing a research program of international stature and teaching organic chemistry courses at all levels.
The University of Victoria, on the west coast of Canada, is in the top one per cent of universities in the world for scientific impact and fourth in the Leiden ranking in Canada for proportionate research impact in science. The Department of Chemistry (www.chemistry.uvic.ca) is a research-intensive unit that is dedicated to providing outstanding programs in Chemistry. The Department is one of the strongest in Canada, boasting new research space, and offering outstanding research opportunities within the areas of health, energy, and materials chemistry. The Department is highly collegial and benefits from the services of a very effective and dedicated staff.
- Hold a PhD in a relevant area; Postdoctoral or equivalent experience is desirable;
- Be an emerging scholar, as demonstrated by experience in conducting research and productivity as an author of publications in leading scholarly journals;
- An innovative and high-impact research proposal;
- Be an effective teacher of chemistry, as evidenced by evaluation data, testimonials and other documentation.
Department of Chemistry
Faculty of Science
Faculty and Librarians at the University of Victoria are governed by the provisions of the Collective Agreement . Members are represented by the University of Victoria Faculty Association .
Applicants must provide:
- a cover letter;
- a curriculum vitae;
- a concise research proposal (5 pages, NSERC Discovery Grant format preferred);
- a teaching dossier (including a teaching philosophy) that reflects a commitment to teaching; and
- the names and contact information for three individuals able to act as referee
Documents should be sent to:
Sandra Carlson, Department Secretary
Department of Chemistry
University of Victoria
PO Box 1700 STN CSC, Victoria BC V8W 2Y2 Canada
Review of applications will begin after 1 September 2017 and continue until the position is filled for potential appointment on 1 July 2018.
The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application and hiring process, may contact Grace Wong Sneddon , Adviser to the Provost on Equity and Diversity at (250) 721-6143. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.