This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
Location - North campus
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Reporting to the Operations Supervisor, the Animal Care Technician is responsible for sustaining the appropriate environmental conditions and care of laboratory animals. The successful candidate will work 5 consecutive workdays, followed by 2 days off and will be required to work some Statutory holidays and University Closure days as Health Sciences Laboratory Animal Services operates 7 days a week, 12 months of the year. Please note that this work requires some potential exposure to allergens.
- Monitors the health status of animals assigned and reports any abnormal behavior or health status to the Clinical Veterinarian and the Operations Supervisor.
- Maintains an appropriate and clean environment for all animal assigned
- Ensures fresh and adequate supplies of food and water
- Assists Principal Investigators in handling and restraint of animals
- Keeps accurate daily records on environmental conditions
- Weekly scanning of animal housing cards for billing purposes
- Performs a variety of procedures as required with a variety of species, including: Breeding/Weaning, Biopsies, Medication treatments and Post-op care etc.
- Minimum 2 year Animal Health Technology Diploma, NAIT Biological Sciences- Laboratory and Research Diploma or BSc; equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
- Minimum 1 year of lab animal husbandry and handling or animal related activities (e.g. Veterinary hospital, Pet stores etc.)
- Canadian Association for Laboratory Animal Science (CALAS) Registered Laboratory Animal Technician (RLAT) certification or enrolment in CALAS RLAT exam is an asset
- Working knowledge of general office equipment and computers including MS Office and/or Google Applications and/or in-house software, as required
- Professional demeanor and positive, well developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to lift 50lbs
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Animal Technician I, Harvard University, United States, about 6 hours ago
31-Mar-2023 Faculty of Arts and Sciences 61964BR Job Summary Explore an Animal Care Career at Harvard University Cambridge where our animal care programs commitment to excellence in research is un...
Wildlife Curator, Sunriver Nature Center & Observatory, United States, 27 days ago
AgencySunriver Nature Center & ObservatoryLocationSunriverJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalary$18.00 an hour DOEStart Date03/15/2023Last Date to Apply03/07/2023Websitehttps://snco.org/about-us/em...
Kennel Assistant, Massey University, New Zealand, 7 days ago
SVS - VTH Vet Care Assistant and Kennel Hands College of Sciences Palmerston North CS_SVSVTHVCAKH_320_02/23 Professional Grade 1 43618 - 47137 College of Sciences Term length: ongoing Hours of wor...
Teaching Assistant Professor In Companion Animal Cardiology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 10 days ago
The Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences at the University of Copenhagen invites applications for a full or a part-time position as a teaching assistant professor in Companion Animal Cardiol...
Animal Ecology Group (All Genders Welcome)Fb Institute Of Zoology And Anthropology, Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, about 19 hours ago
Animal Ecology Group (all genders welcome) Stellen-ID: 1478 Facility: FB Institute of Zoology and Anthropology Contact person: Prof. Dr. Stefan Scheu firstname.lastname@example.org +49 (0)551 3925445 Date of f...
Platform Manager For The Rodent Metabolic Phenotyping Platform , Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 5 days ago
Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences University of Copenhagen We are looking for a highly motivated and experienced Platform Manager t...