This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position has a term length of 4 years from date of hire and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed on our Benefits Overview page .
Location: Work primarily based at North Campus Edmonton.
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
MED/ Health Sciences Laboratory Animal Services.
Reporting to the Operations Supervisor, the Animal Care Technician is responsible for sustaining the appropriate environmental conditions and care of laboratory animals. The successful candidate will work 5 consecutive workdays, followed by 2 days off and will be required to work some Statutory holidays and University Closure days as Health Sciences Laboratory Animal Services operates 7 days a week, 12 months of the year. Please note that this work requires some potential exposure to allergens.
- Monitors the health status of animals assigned and reports any abnormal behavior or health status to the Clinical Veterinarian and the Operations Supervisor
- Maintains an appropriate and clean environment for all animal assigned
- Ensures fresh and adequate supplies of food and water
- Assists Principal Investigators in handling and restraint of animals
- Keeps accurate daily records on environmental conditions
- Weekly scanning of animal housing cards for billing purposes
- Performs a variety of procedures as required with a variety of species, including: Breeding/Weaning, Biopsies, Medication treatments and Post-op care etc.
- Minimum 2 year Animal Health Technology Diploma, NAIT Biological Sciences- Laboratory and Research Diploma or BSc; equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
- Minimum 1 year of lab animal husbandry and handling or animal related activities (e.g. Veterinary hospital, Pet stores etc.)
- Canadian Association for Laboratory Animal Science (CALAS) Registered Laboratory Animal Technician (RLAT) certification or enrolment in CALAS RLAT exam is an asset
- Working knowledge of general office equipment and computers including MS Office and/or Google Applications and/or in-house software, as required
- Professional demeanor and positive, well developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to lift 50lbs
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Veterinarian/Laboratory Animal Health & Welfare Consultant (0.6 Fte) , Utrecht University, Netherlands, about 16 hours ago
Print this page Veterinarian/Laboratory Animal Health & Welfare Consultant (0.6 FTE) Veterinarian/Laboratory Animal Health & Welfare Consultant (0.6 FTE) Job description Are you interested in faci...
Lab Animal Technician Iv (Job Id: 44747), University of Louisville, United States, 3 days ago
Job ID: 44747 Location: undefined Minimum Qualifications High school diploma or GED and five years of laboratory animal experience. LATG Certification as a Laboratory Animal Technologist by the Am...
University Veterinarian , Umeå University, Sweden, about 22 hours ago
Umeå University is one of Sweden’s largest institutions of higher education with over 37,000 students and 4,800 faculty and staff. We are characterised by world-leading research in several scienti...
Animal Technical Assistant Trainee, Medical Research Institute of the Hospital La Fe, Spain, 7 days ago
The selected person will be trained in the position of animal house assistant technician. The selected person will be in charge of the maintenance and care of experimental animals, the application...
Animal Care Technician Ii, Emory University, United States, 16 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Laboratory Animal Veterinarian (Part Time), University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 24 days ago
Laboratory Animal Veterinarian (part-time) (Valid from 13/10/2022 to 15/12/2022) Language: English (UK) Location Belval Country: Luxembourg Organisation Rectorate data: Job Number: UOL05307 Contra...