Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply.
If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or position at McGill University), do not apply through this Career Site. Login to your McGill Workday account and apply to this posting using the Find Jobs report (type Find Jobs in the search bar).
This is a permanent position in the School of Urban Planning
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, provides administrative and secretarial support for administrative and student affairs activities. Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit’s operations. Responsible for documents and files of unit. Acts as resource person for policies and procedures. Coordinates activities related to admission, examinations, registration and graduation. Advises students and resolves problems in relation to their files. Edits documents for grammar and accuracy. Administers unit accounts.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as resource person regarding academic and administrative policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate internal and external resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit. Collects and presents factual information relating to area of responsibility, and recommends procedural changes to improve the effective functioning of the unit. Collaborates with supervisor and other staff in establishing work priorities. Follows-up and ensures appropriate implementation of decisions made by supervisor.
- Receives and provides detailed information and explanations to students. Controls enrolment in courses. Participates in the organization of admissions and registration. Prepares, examines and verifies admissions and registration files related to courses and programs. Completes and approves forms concerning course or program changes, interdepartmental or interuniversity registration, and residency and internship programs.
- Assists academic advisors in relation to matters such as equivalencies, recognition of courses from other institutions, transfer of credits, and probationary status. Prepares and verifies files. Coordinates and schedules student interviews.
- Coordinates application process for awards, scholarships, and fellowships. Distributes application forms and provides information on procedures and deadlines. Verifies that student files are complete and, as required, ensures necessary linkage with admission process.
- Advises students in relation to their files. Resolves problems. Ensures the application of academic regulations and deadlines. According to the needs of the unit, prepares residency rotation and other student activity schedules, contacting the necessary officials to coordinate and verify placement.
- Compiles information, verifies and updates timetables and calendar entries. Coordinates submission to central scheduling system and acts as a contact person for the unit. Maintains a current file of courses, calendars, programs, students and graduates.
- Identifies and verifies files of graduating students. Prepares forms requesting diplomas and lists of graduating students. Prepares documents for convocation, attends and assists with this event.
- Receives and screens telephone calls. Provides information to visitors, determines reason for visit and prepares necessary documents. Directs callers and visitors to appropriate resource persons. Assesses need for intervention of other resource persons and arranges appointments as necessary.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
Seeking a versatile and committed individual to provide support to students and academics in the School of Urban Planning. This individual must have student affairs experience at the university-level. Proven ability to patiently assist students and professors, with a flexible attitude, demonstrating resiliency and good listening skills. The candidate must have demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to multitask. Proven ability to review student files and advise students on academic and administrative policies and procedures, as well as to interact with a diverse set of individuals. Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines. Experience maintaining electronic files. Demonstrated ability to work in a PC environment using word processing, databases, spreadsheets, Minerva, Banner, MS Teams, Zoom, etc. and to work with reports and statistics. Knowledge of French and English: McGill University is an English-language university where day to day duties may require English communication both verbally and in writing. The level of English required for this position has been assessed at a level 4 on a scale of 0-4.
Minimum Education and Experience:
DEP - Office Systems 4 Years Related Experience / DEP - Secretarial Studies
(MUNACA Level G) $31.19 - $38.65
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Faculty Administrative Assistant, University of British Columbia, Canada, about 12 hours ago
Staff - Union Job Category BCGEU Okanagan Support Staff Job Profile BCGEU OK Salaried - Secretary II Job Title Faculty Administrative Assistant Department UBCO | Administrative Support | Dean's Of...
Sr, Admin Assistant | Temporary, Emory University, United States, 24 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
*Revised* Security Officer (Safety Operations Supervisor), Unlv University Libraries [R0137156], University of Nevada Las Vegas, United States, about 23 hours ago
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas invites applications for Security Officer (Safety Operations Supervisor), UNLV University Libraries [R0137156] ROLE of the POSITION The Safety Operations Superv...
Director Of Marketing And Communications, School Of Nursing [R0139466], University of Nevada Las Vegas, United States, about 23 hours ago
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas invites applications for Director of Marketing and Communications, School of Nursing [R0139466] ROLE of the POSITION The Director of Marketing and Communication...
Professor Of Ai And Robotics, Örebro University, Sweden, about 23 hours ago
Ref no: ORU 2.1.1-06648/2023 We are looking for a professor of AI and Robotics for a permanent position at the School of Natural Science and Technology. Subject area The subject area for this posi...
Front Office & Administrative Officer, RMIT University, Australia, 5 days ago
Overview: RMIT University Vietnam (RMIT Vietnam) is a campus of RMIT University. RMIT Vietnam is creating an innovative research, teaching and learning culture. We are committed to providing inter...