Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply.
If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or position at McGill University), do not apply through this Career Site. Login to your McGill Workday account and apply to this posting using the Find Jobs report (type Find Jobs in the search bar).
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, provides administrative and secretarial support for administrative and student affairs activities. Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit’s operations. Responsible for documents and files of unit. Acts as resource person for policies and procedures. Coordinates activities related to admission, examinations, registration and graduation. Advises students and resolves problems in relation to their files. Edits documents for grammar and accuracy. Administers unit accounts.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as resource person regarding academic and administrative policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate internal and external resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit. Collects and presents factual information relating to area of responsibility,and recommends procedural changes to improve the effective functioning of the unit. Collaborates with supervisor and other staff in establishing work priorities. Follows-up on and ensures appropriate implementation of decisions made by supervisor.
- Receives and provides detailed information and explanations to students. Controls enrolment in courses. Participates in the organization of admissions and registration. Prepares, examines, and verifies admissions and registration files related to courses and programs. Completes and approves forms concerning course or program changes, interdepartmental or interuniversity registration, and residency and internship programs.
- Assists academic advisors in relation to matters such as equivalencies, recognition of courses from other institutions, transfer of credits, and probationary status. Prepares and verifies files. Coordinates and schedules student interviews.
- Coordinates application process for awards, scholarships, and fellowships. Distributes application forms and provides information on procedures and deadlines. Verifies that student files are complete and, as required, ensures necessary linkage with admission process.
- Advises students in relation to their files. Resolves problems. Ensures the application of academic regulations and deadlines. According to the needs of the unit, prepares residency rotation and other student activity schedules, contacting the necessary officials to coordinate and verify placement.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
Must be client-focused and service-oriented, with a proven ability to build constructive work relationships with staff of all levels. Experience in a similar frontline position, an asset. Proven ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team. Demonstrated ability to clearly transmit and receive information as well as a keen ability to listen and assist administrators with problems. Strong attention to detail. The successful candidate will have excellent time management skills and the desire to work in a fast-paced environment, demonstrated organizational skills ability to prioritize and multi-task on a number of projects, to meet regular deadlines. Proven ability to work independently and as a member of a team. Discretion in dealing with confidential information. Demonstrated ability to take initiative and problem-solve while remaining calm under pressure. Experience working with various student populations including undergraduate, graduate and continuing studies. Experience providing support to faculty/researchers with all aspects of their research staff administration is an asset. Proven ability to analyze data and statistics for the purposes of reporting in addition to budget management. Demonstrated ability to prepare meeting agendas and to take and write minutes. Attention to detail and a proven ability to draft correspondence and to proofread documents using appropriate spelling, grammar, punctuation, and formatting. Proven ability to work in a PC environment using Microsoft 365 with a focus on Excel, Minerva, Banner, Workday, presentation software, email and the internet. Proven experience learning and adapting to new software and providing support to users. Experience with the development of web-based communications (knowledge of DRUPAL an asset).
McGill University is an English-language university where day to day duties may require English communication both verbally and in writing. The level of English required for this position has been assessed at a level 4 on a scale of 0-4.
Minimum Education and Experience:
DEP - Office Systems 4 Years Related Experience / DEP - Secretarial Studies
(MUNACA Level G) $31.19 - $38.65
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, [email protected] .
Lecturer In The Department Of Family Medicine And Primary Care, THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG, Hong Kong, 14 days ago
17 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company THE UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG Research Field Medical sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Hong ...
Specialist, Admissions (Evaluations), University of Alberta, Canada, about 12 hours ago
This job posting will be used to fill two positions. These positions are a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). These positions have a term length of 1 year and offer a comprehensive...
Cd Ctti 31 Sgrh/2024 Assistant Professor In The Subject Area Of Education, Subarea Of Didactics And Educational Technology, Specific Area Of Educational Technology, University of Aveiro, Portugal, about 5 hours ago
3 Mar 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Aveiro Department Department of Education and Psychology Research Field Educational sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher ...
Assistant Professor Or Associate Professor In Sustainable Transportation Systems, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden, about 23 hours ago
The position as tenure-track Assistant Professor or Associate Professor will allow you to join the dynamic research area of Urban Mobility Systems (UMS) at Chalmers, with an excellent funding base...
M.Sc. & Ph.D. Positions At Mc Gill University In Computational Analysis Of Behavior And Brain Dynamics With Computer Vision/Machine Learning, Canadian Association for Neuroscience, Canada, about 23 hours ago
Positions Overview: The Mohajerani lab (https://douglas.research.mcgill.ca/majid-mohajerani/ ) at McGill University is seeking prospective M.Sc. or Ph.D. to join our lab for Winter 2025 semester. ...
Doctoral Student In English Linguistics, Karlstad University, Sweden, about 11 hours ago
Sapere Aude—dare to be wise—is our motto. Our students and employees develop knowledge and expertise that enrich both people and the world around them. Our academic environment is characterised by...