Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply.
If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or position at McGill University), do not apply through this Career Site. Login to your McGill Workday account and apply to this posting using the Find Jobs report (type Find Jobs in the search bar).
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, provides administrative and secretarial support for administrative and student affairs activities. Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit's operations. Responsible for documents and files of unit. Acts as resource person for policies and procedures. Coordinates activities related to admission, examinations, registration and graduation. Advises students and resolves problems in relation to their files. Edits documents for grammar and accuracy. Administers unit accounts.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Acts as resource person regarding academic and administrative policies and procedures. Resolves problems within area of responsibility. Consults relevant documentation and liaises with appropriate internal and external resource persons to obtain and provide information on diverse and complex issues.
- Participates in ensuring the smooth functioning of the unit. Collects and presents factual information relating to area of responsibility, and recommends procedural changes to improve the effective functioning of the unit. Collaborates with supervisor and other staff in establishing work priorities. Follows-up and ensures appropriate implementation of decisions made by supervisor.
- Receives and provides detailed information and explanations to students. Controls enrolment in courses. Participates in the organization of admissions and registration. Prepares, examines and verifies admissions and registration files related to courses and programs. Completes and approves forms concerning course or program changes, interdepartmental or interuniversity registration, and residency and internship programs.
- Coordinates application process for awards, scholarships, and fellowships. Distributes application forms and provides information on procedures and deadlines. Verifies that student files are complete and, as required, ensures necessary linkage with admission process.
- Advises students in relation to their files. Resolves problems. Ensures the application of academic regulations and deadlines. According to the needs of the unit, prepares residency rotation and other student activity schedules, contacting the necessary officials to coordinate and verify placement.
- Compiles information, verifies and updates timetables and calendar entries. Coordinates submission to central scheduling system and acts as a contact person for the unit. Maintains a current file of courses, calendars, programs, students and graduates.
- Organizes specific operations with regard to the start of the semester, loan applications, course and residency evaluation, and exam scheduling and invigilation. Prepares timetables and schedules room bookings for unit. Prepares schedules and books exams for unit.
- Produces reports and statistics. Takes note and types various documents such as correspondence, reports, memos, etc. Updates, prepares and coordinates publication of documents such as publicity brochures, departmental handbooks, and annual reports, including maintaining and updating web pages. Drafts correspondence and other short documents of a complex nature. Formats documents and edits for grammar, spelling and accuracy. Signs certain documents.
- Schedules meetings, contacts participants and books meeting rooms. Assists with preparation of agenda. Attends meetings, takes minutes, and follows up on decisions within area of responsibility.
- Uses a variety of software. Maintains computerized information systems and participates in their development to improve efficiency within the unit. Liaises with computer resources persons as required. Maintains and updates administrative files. Maintains filing systems and arranges for archiving.
- Receives and screens telephone calls. Provides information to visitors, determines reason for visit and prepares necessary documents. Directs callers and visitors to appropriate resource persons. Assesses need for intervention of other resource persons and arranges appointments as necessary.
- Screens and sorts mail. Prepares files attaching appropriate supporting documentation and researching information as required. Responds to requests within area of responsibility. Notes required actions and ensures follow-up.
Other Qualifying Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience working with students in a variety of problems and or situations.
- Proven ability to listen as well as ability to clearly transmit and receive information both in writing and verbally.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Attention to detail as it pertains to coding, reviewing or summarizing student records.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Customer-focused and service-oriented.
- Experience with policy and procedure enforcement.
- Experience with McGill’s web management system as a site editor and/or manager.
- Demonstrated ability to use advanced Banner functions and Minerva.
- English and French, spoken and written.
- Proven ability to verify work.
- Demonstrated ability to edit documentation for grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Proven problem solving and ability to take initiative within areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to compose routine correspondence, to proofread and edit, to record minutes and to maintain web pages.
- Demonstrated knowledge of academic and student related policies and procedures.
- Ability to perform under pressure and be resourceful.
Minimum Education and Experience:
DEP - Office Systems 4 Years Related Experience / DEP - Secretarial Studies
(MUNACA Level G) $31.19 - $38.65
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Student Affairs Officer
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Web Content Specialist, Arizona State University, United States, 13 days ago
95043BR Campus: Downtown Phoenix Web Marketing Specialist Job Description The College of Health Solutions (CHS) at ASU seeks a collaborative, service-oriented individual to join its Strategic Mark...
Project Manager, Instructional + Graphic Design Starbucks Global Academy (Sga), Arizona State University, United States, 29 days ago
94599BR Off-Campus: Scottsdale Project Manager Job Description Works closely and collaboratively with diverse groups of stakeholders to plan, direct, organize, and execute against project requirem...
Academic And Student Affairs Coordinator , Columbia University, United States, about 9 hours ago
Job Type: Support Staff - Union Bargaining Unit: Local 2110 Regular/Temporary: Regular Hours Per Week: 35 Salary Range: $54,180 to $58,000 The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be...
Development Assistant Specialist, Office Of The Associate Vice President And Dean Of Development, Faculty Of Arts And Sciences, Harvard University, United States, about 8 hours ago
18-Sep-2023 Alumni Affairs and Development 63695BR Job Summary Alumni Affairs and Development is a dedicated team supporting Harvard’s advancement activity through front-line fundraising, alumni a...
Curricular & Co Curricular Program Coordinator, Brown University, United States, 26 days ago
Details Posted: 26-Aug-23 Location: Nationwide Type: Full-time Salary: Open Categories: Administrative/Support Staff/Administrative Internal Number: REQ189534 Job Description: Reporting to the Col...
Manager, Training Design/Communication Office Of Research Administration, Emory University, United States, about 15 hours ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...