Department: Department of Linguistics
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Linguistics in the Faculty of Arts has the following part-time (55%) vacancy: tenured senior academic staff in the field of German Professional and Academic Communication
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and services (20%). Your role will also include organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education in the field of German Professional and Academic Communication.
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes. The courses you will teach may include German for Business and Economics 2 (3 credits, 45 hours interactive seminar, Bachelor 2, Faculty of Business & Economics), German for Business and Economics 3 (3 credits, 45 hours interactive seminars, Bachelor 3, Faculty of Business & Economics), German Professional Communication (6 credits, 45 hours interactive seminar, Faculty of Arts and Faculty of Business & Economics).
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Master dissertations.
- You will coordinate the teaching and teaching-related research activities of the ‘German for Professional and Academic Purposes’ section.
- You will advance high-quality scientific research in the field of German Professional and Academic Communication.
- You will initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in international journals and specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, popular science communication, and so on.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or services and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in Linguistics (Option German), Translation Sciences (Option German) or another relevant discipline.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- You have established an excellent research portfolio including A1 publications.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision . You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations .
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have an excellent command of German (at least near native).
- Familiarity with the economy, business life and culture of Germany and German-speaking countries and regions is recommended.
- Teaching experience in the field of German for Professional and/or Academic Purposes in higher education, preferably with relatively large groups of students, is recommended.
- You are able to integrate results of recent research into teaching.
- You have a clear vision on the needs in terms of education, research and the combination of these in relation to the course units ‘German for Business and Economics' (Bachelor's level) and 'German Professional Communication' (Master's level). In support of this, you attach to your application documents a text in German (1000 words) in which you explain your vision.
What we offer
- We offer a part-time, structural appointment as a member of the Senior Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment (tenure) as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff (ZAP) and calculated proportionally on the basis of your employment percentage.
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is 1/2/2023.
- You will do most of your work at the city campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 2 November 2022 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s): (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP , (3) your academic CV, (4) A text in German (ca. 1000 words) with your vision on the teaching, research and combination needs related to the above mentioned course units.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following date: 15 November 2022 (interviews).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. Walter De Mulder; email: firstname.lastname@example.org , and/or prof. dr. Lieve Vangehuchten; email: email@example.com
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Lecturer In German (Teaching And Administration Only), University of Canterbury, New Zealand, about 8 hours ago
Located in Ōtautahi | Christchurch, Aotearoa | New Zealand Part time 32 hours per week (0.8 FTE) Fixed Term (9 month) position Kia hiwa rā, kia hiwa rā! He hiahia, he pūkenga nōu ki te mahi a te L...
Fachbereich Politik Und Sozialwissenschaften Institut Für Soziologie Arbeitsbereich Sozialstrukturanalyse Student Assistant (M/F/D) 41 Hours Per Month Limited To 2 Years Reference Code: Ps If S Sozstruktur Shk 2022 Bewerbungsende: 22.11.2022, Free University of Berlin, Germany, 7 days ago
We are seeking 1 student assistant for the research unit “Social Structure Analysis and Survey- Methodology” of Prof. Dr. Stefan Liebig in the Institute of Sociology at the Freie Universität Berli...
University Assistant (Prae Doc) , University of Vienna, Austria, about 3 hours ago
Deutsch not authenticated Bitte warten / Please wait The University of Vienna (20 faculties and centres, 184 fields of study, approx. 10.400 members of staff, about 90.000 students) seeks to fill ...
School Of Business And Economics Department Of Information Systems / We1 University Professor Of Business Administration With A Focus On It Management And Digital Transformation Salary Grade: W2 Or Equivalent Reference Code: Fb10/We1/P22 2 Bewerbungsende: 08.12.2022, Free University of Berlin, Germany, 9 minutes ago
The successful applicant will cover research and teaching in the field of business administration with a focus on IT management and digital transformation. Appointment requirements are governed by...
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Diploma/Master), Johannes Kepler University, Austria, 5 days ago
The world is changing at an ever-faster pace. At the Johannes Kepler University Linz, we work on technologies and the ideas of tomorrow on a daily basis. At the same time, we educate over 23,000 y...
Full Time Lecturer In Software Engineering And Programming Languages, VIETNAMESE-GERMAN UNIVERSITY, Europe, 22 days ago
The Vietnamese-German University (VGU) is seeking a highly qualified full-time lecturer in Software Engineering and Programming Languages. Candidates must hold a PhD in Computer Science and have a...