The Faculty of Science is seeking to fill the following full-time vacancy in the Department of Physics
Temporary academic staff (50%) and visiting professor (50%) in the area of Gravitational Wave Instrumentation
Since 2018, the University of Antwerp is involved in the development of gravitational wave detectors, in particular the preparation of the 3rd generation European gravitational wave laser interferometer, the Einstein Telescope (ET). A step-stone towards the realisation of ET is the creation and joint exploitation of the ETpathfinder R&D lab, located in Maastricht, where key components for 3rd generation GW observatories will be developed during the coming decades. For this, we are recruiting a starting academic to consolidate our position in GW instrumentation in function of future large-scale research infrastructures, such as ET.
- You will be assigned following lecturing duties
- General Relativity (Physics Master curriculum, 6 ECTS, 60 contact hours).
- A gradual involvement in the Bachelor level curriculum.
- You will expand the scientific research in the area of Gravitational wave physics and corresponding laser interferometry hardware.
- You will acquire and manage external funding (national and international).
- You will offer scientific services: among others you take part in the co-management of the EDF research lab and technical staff, together with the other professors of this lab.
- You will spend a significant fraction of your time at the ETpathfinder R&D facility in Maastricht, which is jointly operated by the University of Antwerp and the University of Maastricht, together with other partners of the ETpathfinder consortium.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in Physics and/or Astrophysics or Physical Engineering.
- You have a minimum of 2 years of postdoctoral experience or equivalent.
- Experience in the field of gravitational wave laser interferometers construction and/or operations is considered as an advantage.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy .
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- If you do not master Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a course unit coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members on an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- a full-time position consisting of a 50% lecturer (assistant professor) part and a 50% post-doctoral researcher part, both in a temporary appointment for a term of three years, which can be extended upon positive evaluation;
- the earliest date of appointment will be March 1st 2020;
- a gross monthly salary ranging for lecturer from € 4.255,06 tot € 6.272,13 and for senior lecturer from € 4.872,61 tot € 7.654,80;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online , until the closing date 23 February 2020.
- Arrange for at least two letters of recommendation to be sent directly to [email protected] .
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from [email protected] .
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Nick van Remortel, +32 475 84 16 01.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research .
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.
Lecturer Physics & Mathematics Maastricht Science Programme, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Lecturer Physics & Mathematics Maastricht Science Programme Lecturer Physics & Mathematics Maastricht Science Programme Published Deadline Location today 14 Mar Maastricht Job description You will...
Student Affairs Officer / Financial Assistant At The Maastricht Graduate School Of Governance, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Student Affairs Officer / Financial Assistant at the Maastricht Graduate School of Governance Student Affairs Officer / Financial Assistant at the Maastricht Graduate School of Governance Publishe...
Faculty Position On The Methodology And Application Of Innovative Technologies In Psychiatry, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Faculty position on the methodology and application of innovative technologies in psychiatry Faculty position on the methodology and application of innovative technologies in psychiatry Published ...
Communication Officer – Chinese Relations (0,8 Fte), Maastricht University, Netherlands, 4 days ago
Communication Officer – Chinese Relations (0,8 fte) Communication Officer – Chinese Relations (0,8 fte) Published Deadline Location 18 Feb 8 Mar Maastricht Job description Mutually beneficial rela...
Researcher, Ghent University, Belgium, 12 days ago
Job description Background Ghent University is partner in the H2020 funded project InSiDe (Integrated Silicon photonics for Cardiovascular Disease monitoring) project, coordinated by Medtronic and...
Assistant Professor In Accounting/Information Management – Maastricht University, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Assistant professor in Accounting/Information Management – Maastricht University Assistant professor in Accounting/Information Management – Maastricht University Published Deadline Location yester...