The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is part of the VIB life sciences institute and is embedded within the University of Leuven which ranks among the world’s top 50 universities. At our center, researchers study the cellular mechanisms of neuronal function in health and disease.
The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research hosts several top-notch research facilities, one of which is the Single Cell & Microfluidics Expertise unit . To remain at the forefront of single-cell research, the unit works with two core components: 1. The unit facilitates support and provides expertise to departmental researchers and industrial partners with state-of-the-art single-cell and spatial workflows. 2. the unit actively collaborates with departmental investigators to develop novel cutting edge single cell and spatial technologies to accelerate single-cell research. For smooth and consistent service operations, the unit actively collaborates with other stakeholders in Leuven: the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research Single Cell Bioinformatics unit, VIB Flow Core (Leuven), VIB Single Cell Core, VIB Techwatch, and UZ Leuven Genomics Core. More details:
To support the work in our Single Cell & Microfluidics expertise unit we are looking for an energetic, highly-motivated, and ambitious research technician to join the team.
The successful candidate will play a central role in supporting the daily activities of the unit. Some of the key responsibilities include:
- You will be involved in the daily operations of droplet microfluidics-based single-cell assays (e.g., 10x Genomics, HyDrop); plate-based assays (e.g., Smart-Seq3xpress, BD Rhapsody), and spatial omics techniques (e.g., Visium, Resolve, VizGen, Stereo-seq, Seqscope).
- Independently assist in performing single-cell and spatial multi-omics experiments for different labs on a daily basis.
- Writing and keeping up-to-date documentation such as Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs), ELN maintenance & update, and keeping track of experimental and time logs.
- You will support the implementation of novel single-cell and spatial techniques and the optimization of techniques for robust service workflows.
- You will assist the unit leader with the single cell expertise unit organization, such as lab maintenance, assurance of consumable stocks, and concomitant orderings.
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in bio-engineering or other life science programs including biochemistry, biology, biomedical sciences, or related fields.
- Wetlab experience preferably in a genomics/genetics lab.
- Strong expertise in molecular biology (PCR, qPCR, and other DNA/RNA library preparation and purification methods).
- You are flexible and willing to learn new technologies and you are eager to expand your skills and are not easily discouraged during the process.
- You must be meticulous, detail-oriented, independent, self-motivated, proactive, and have a sense of responsibility. You are a team player and able to interact well with other members/users of the research unit. A service-oriented mindset is an absolute requirement.
- Effective communication skills. Proficiency in written and spoken English is essential.
- You have basic computer skills, and you are familiar with the standard MS Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Not required, but useful
- Background in single-cell sequencing techniques (RNAseq and ATACseq)
- Experience/knowledge of next-generation sequencing (Illumina platform).
- Experience with (droplet) microfluidics.
- Experience with liquid automation
- Experience with cell/tissue culture, immunohistochemistry, cryostat
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure in the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research.
- An opportunity to develop strong expertise in the field of single-cell technologies working in close collaboration with Stein Aerts lab.
- You will be trained in a wide spectrum of state-of-the-art single-cell and spatial sequencing techniques: including 10X Genomics workflows, SMART seq 2, SMART seq 3xpress, Visium, BGI Stereomics, SlideSeq, etc, and other in-house developed techniques such as HyDrop, SeqScope, etc.
- An exciting opportunity to work in the interface of technology and biology, apply a diverse methodological skillset, explore state-of-the-art technologies and work with a large variety of experimental systems.
- A stimulating international research environment, working in a field with high translational potential
- An open-ended contract
- Competitive salary and benefits
Starting Date: the position is immediately available
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV, a motivation letter describing your previous research experience, and the contact information of (preferably) several references.
For more information: please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
Laboratory Coordinator In Genotyping And Single Cell Operations, University of Helsinki, Finland, about 24 hours ago
The Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland (FIMM) is an international research institute focusing on human genomics and personalised medicine at the Helsinki Institute of Life Science (HiLIFE) o...
Postdoctoral Scientist (Immuno Oncology), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 22 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2023-48) Laatst aangepast : 24/01/2023 Broad Research Topic: Designing and valorising next-generation immunotherapy solutions for immuno-resistant tumours to pave way for near future cli...
Potdoc Basic Mechanisms Of Pain In Polycystic Kidney Disease, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 22 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2023-29) Laatst aangepast : 23/01/2023 The PKD research and the Laboratory of Ion Channel Research are a team of preclinical and clinical researchers with extensive and complementary exp...
Academic Research Officer In Bioinformatics In Core Facility For Single Cell Analysis, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 38 minutes ago
Department of Immunology and Microbiology Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences University of Copenhagen At the Department of Immunology and Microbiology, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, ...
Principal Research Engineer In Cell Biology, Linköping University, Sweden, about 15 hours ago
Skilled and committed employees are a crucial factor in the success of Linköping University. And we need more of them. Our core expertise comes from teachers and researchers, but a successful univ...
“Scientific Coordinator” Staff Scientist In The Laboratory Of…, Flanders Institute for Biotechnology (VIB), Belgium, about 19 hours ago
The laboratory of Angiogenesis & Vascular Metabolism headed by Prof. Peter Carmeliet is one of the laboratories of the Center for Cancer Biology (CCB), a research department of VIB (Flanders Insti...