24 May 2023
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
Established Researcher (R3)
Leading Researcher (R4)
- Application Deadline
14 Sep 2023 - 22:01 (Africa/Abidjan)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
The KU Leuven announces the vacancy of full-time academic positions as 'research professor' that are open to all research profiles from the various scientific fields. These positions are intended for outstanding researchers and the assignment mainly consists of scientific research of a high international level, in a field to be proposed by the candidate and affiliated with a department or faculty of the KU Leuven (Open BOFZAP). These positions are funded by the Special Research Fund (BOFZAP), established by the Flemish Government. We are looking for motivated and internationally oriented candidates with an excellent research record and with educational competence in the specified field. The appointment is expected to start on 1 September 2024. Applications will be evaluated in parallel and independently by 1) the KU Leuven Research Council in a competitive process across academic domains and 2) the faculty advisory committee. During the first 10 years, the teaching obligations as a research professor will be limited. Afterwards, the position will be transformed into a regular professorship.
It is part of the assignment of the appointed candidate to develop, within the specified domain, an international, competitive research programme, to pursue excellent scientific results at an international level and to support and promote national and international research partnerships. The candidate must meet a strong research profile or have the potential to do so. In addition, the candidate is expected to have a multidisciplinary attitude and a willingness to cooperate intensively with other researchers and research units at KU Leuven.
- Is an excellent, internationally oriented researcher and develops a research programme at the forefront in the specified field.
- Strengthens existing research lines and brings complementary and/or additionally new expertise by working closely with the members of the research unit.
- Publishes at the highest scientific level appropriate to the specific domain, e.g.articles in various leading international journals in the domain and/or broader international top journals, monographs in leading series, conference proceedings, ....
- Develops an own research group.
- Supervises master students, PhD students and postdocs at a high international level.
- Aims to acquire competitive research funding from national and/or international agencies and submits research project proposals for this purpose.
- Establishes both within KU Leuven, national and international partnerships in the context of the research programme.
- Strives for excellence in research and provides a contribution to the international research reputation of the host entity, the involved faculty or department and the KU Leuven.
- Has a pronounced interest in fundamental research, but also pays attention to the valorization and applications of the research.
The candidate also has the necessary didactic qualities for teaching assignments at the university. Although the position regards a research professorship at the start of employment, the candidate is expected to gradually contribute to state of the art teaching. In the first 10 years, the teaching assignment will be limited. The candidate must be prepared to take on additional teaching tasks after the 10-year BOFZAP period.
The candidate also contributes to the pedagogic project of the faculty/university. He/she develops teaching in accordance with KU Leuven s vision on activating and research based education and makes use of the possibilities for the educational professionalization offered by the faculty and the university.Service
Scientific, societal and internal services (administrative and/or institutional) are also part of the assignment.
- You have a doctoral degree relevant to the specified field and you have at least three full years of research experience at the start of the mandate as a research professor, which means that the doctorate was obtained before 1 September 2020. If you have recently obtained your PhD, it is important that you support your research and growth potential with academic references.
- Upon application, you have no more than a 20% ZAP appointment at KU Leuven.
- You have an strong research profile in the field and an indisputable research integrity.
- Depending on the stage in the research career, you have achieved a high international level in your field and/or demonstrate a very high research potential, which is illustrated by, among other things, your internationally recognized scientific publications. International research experience is considered as an important advantage.
- You must show a strong commitment to teamwork in order to develop a research strategy together with their colleagues.
- You have demonstrable qualities related to academic education. Teaching experience is a plus.
- You possess organizational skills and have a cooperative attitude. You also have leadership skills within a university context.
- Your spoken and written English is excellent. The official administrative language used at KU Leuven is Dutch. If you do not speak Dutch (or do not speak it well) at the start of employment, KU Leuven will provide language training to enable you to take part in administrative meetings. Before teaching courses in Dutch or English, you will be given the opportunity to learn Dutch resp. English to the required standard.
- We offer full-time employment in an intellectually challenging environment. KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that carries out both fundamental and applied scientific research. Our university is highly inter-and multidisciplinary focused and strives for international excellence. In this regard, we actively collaborate with research partners in Belgium and abroad. We provide our students with an academic education that is based on high-quality scientific research.
- The selection takes into account the university's global research and education policy. The number of vacant positions depends on the available budget.
- Depending on your qualifications and academic experience, you will be appointed to or tenured in one of the grades of the senior academic staff: assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor. In principle, researchers who have a relative short research experience are basically appointed, without excluding a higher academic position, as assistant professor in a Tenure Track for a period of 5 years . After this period and a positive evaluation, you are permanently appointed as an associate professor.
- You will work in Leuven, a historic and dynamic and vibrant city located in the heart of Belgium, within twenty minutes from Brussels, the capital of the European Union, and less than two hours from Paris, London and Amsterdam.
- KU Leuven is well set to welcome foreign professors and their family and provides practical support with regard to immigration and administration, housing, childcare, learning Dutch, partner career coaching, &
- In order to facilitate scientific onboarding and accelerate research in the first phase a starting grant of 110.000 euro is offered to new professors without substantial other funding and appointed for at least 50%.
Full application and selection prodedure Research professorships (BOFZAP)
For more information please contact Mrs. Kristin Vermeylen (email@example.com , tel.: +32 16 32 09 07) or Mrs. Martine Van Nierop (firstname.lastname@example.org , tel. +32 16 32 76 98) or Mrs. Christelle Maeyaert (email@example.com , tel.: +32 16 32 41 94).
You can apply for this job no later than September 14, 2023 via the online application tool
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be .
- Research Field
- Education Level
- PhD or equivalent
- Number of offers available
- KU Leuven
- Postal Code
- Parijsstraat 72b
Where to apply
Parijsstraat 72b Leuven
Professor Of Chemical Engineering, KU LEUVEN, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
Professor of Chemical Engineering: Modeling Transport Phenomena and Properties for Soft Matter in Bio- and Health Applications KU Leuven has a vacancy for a full-time (junior or senior) professor ...
Vacancy Biblical Studies: Old Testament , ;, Belgium, 11 days ago
The Faculty of Theology and Religious Studies of KU Leuven and the Research Unit Biblical Studies invite applications for the position of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Full Professor...
Lab Technician In The Lab For Tumor Inflammation And Angiogenesis, VIB, Belgium, 1 day ago
The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Cancer Biology (CCB) is one of the research departments of VIB within the University of Leuven, located on the University Hospital campus in Leuven. CCB hosts 13 resea...
Head Vib Bioimaging Core, VIB, Belgium, 1 day ago
VIB, a leading knowledge center in life sciences and biotechnology, is committed to fostering the growth of Flanders' life sciences cluster. The VIB Technologies program provides access to cutting...
Research Scientist , KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
About Khalifa University Khalifa University is ranked 181st in the QS World University Rankings 2023, and the top University in the UAE, with a range of research and academic programs designed to ...
Research Engineer, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 18 days ago
Description KU is seeking a highly motivated Research Engineer to work on Gas sensing applications. He will help to build the experimental gas sensors setup. In addition, the expectation of his ...