(ref. OZK-2022-111)Laatst aangepast : 22/12/2022
The Plasma Astrophysics division of the Department of Mathematics of the Science, Engineering and Technology Group of KU Leuven is looking for a research expert to support the further development and maintenance of linear and nonlinear, MHD and two-fluid codes MPI-AMRVAC/LEGOLAS and support its user community. These are developed, maintained and used at KU Leuven for HPC problems concerning general plasma physics applications. Our focus is on solar and astrophysics, and covers space weather and radiative (M)HD applications. We wish to validate and valorize our assets and extend their user communities. The Department of Mathematics consists of the sections Geometry, Algebra, Analysis, Plasma Astrophysics and Statistics. The section of Plasma Astrophysics (CmPA) has developed unique expertise in all aspects of plasma-physical modelling, ranging from advanced analytic theory to the development, use and exploitation of state-of-the-art computational tools to simulate realistic solar, astrophysical or fundamental plasma physics scenarios. The Sun and the heliosphere are our favourite research objects, but we equally study plasma behaviour in other astrophysical objects. CmPA members have (co-)produced several standard textbooks in plasma physics theory, published by Cambridge University Press and Kluwer Academic Publishers. The CmPA has developed several state-of-the-art software packages for plasma dynamical simulations, optimally suited for modern high performance computing, massively parallel platforms. They include MPI-AMRVAC (a parallel software tool for grid-adaptive MHD simulations) and a flexible new solver for linear MHD spectroscopy LEGOLAS. This research expert position is to support the development and maintenance of these MPI-AMRVAC and Legolas codes, oversee the management of the master versions of these codes, as well as expects an active participation in related projects that use the codes in various applications.
For the Plasma-astrophysics Section we are looking for a research expert to
- Continue develop and optimize MPI-AMRVAC and Legolas codes, for use on current and future HPC platforms;
- Maintain the online documentation, websites, open source (github) repositories, and actively engage in PR outreach through Twitter, YouTube, VSC newsletters, mailing-lists, slack-channels;
- Promote the KU Leuven embedding of these codes, and act as a point of contact for local and worldwide users;
- Publish scientific results, write progress reports, and actively promote the work through international conference proceedings and presentations;
- Detect and seek out future collaboration and validation opportunities by formulating new research proposals (FWO, FWO-EOS, ERC en ERC-POC, ESA ITT, Horizon Europe, VSC calls, LUMI calls, PRACE calls…);
- Is willing to organize training sessions and informal meetings between users;
- Is aware of the applications pursued with MPI-AMRVAC and Legolas, and has plasma-physical know-how as well as computer-science skills;
- Contributes to all projects that employ both MPI-AMRVAC and Legolas.
The candidate must have a profound knowledge of MPI-AMRVAC and Legolas and their typical application areas, including the numerical techniques implemented in it, as well as other relevant numerical techniques. He/she must have ample experience in programming, providing technical support, supervising PhD and postdoctoral researchers, and project management. He/she should have leader capacities, be a team player and have networking skills. We are seeking a candidate with
- a PhD degree in the exact sciences, linked to (astro-)plasmaphysical research;
- experience with High Performance Computing, parallel computing using MPI-OpenMP, programming in Fortran, know-how of github-based project management;
- experience with Unix-system management (as system-administrator and/or active user);
- a clear team spirit.
A function as research expert as a research management staff member at KU Leuven. This is an academic staff category that allows staff members to develop a full career at the university as specialists in a particular research area.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Rony Keppens, tel.: +32 16 32 70 01, mail: email@example.com or Prof. dr. Tom Van Doorsselaere, tel.: +32 16 32 70 03, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.
Software Developer , Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Germany, about 9 hours ago
23/03/2023 Software Developer The Toth-Petroczy lab is an interdisciplinary research group at MPI-CBG and CSBD that studies protein evolution. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis unti...
Assistant Professor, Space Plasma Science Ai/Ml, University of Alberta, Canada, about 15 hours ago
The Department of Physics, the home department for this position, has approximately 48 faculty with research interests in space physics, condensed matter physics, astrophysics, biophysics, geophys...
Biophysicist (M/F/D) , Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Germany, 12 days ago
21/02/2023 Biophysicist (m/f/d) We are seeking a highly motivated and service-oriented biophysicist who will join our Advanced Imaging Facility (AIF) and Biophysics Core Facility (BCF) Application...
Lab Technician To Support The Study Of The Mechanisms Of Sleep, VIB, Belgium, about 6 hours ago
Overview The Laboratory of Sleep and Synaptic Plasticity (PI: Sha Liu) at the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is seeking an organized and highly-motivated Lab Technician to join ...
Computational Biologist, VIB, Belgium, about 6 hours ago
The Laboratory of Computational Biology (www.aertslab.org ) is part of the KU Leuven Center for Human Genetics and the VIB Center for Brain and Disease Research. We are interested in decoding the ...
Executive Assistant (M/F/D) , Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Germany, about 9 hours ago
23/03/2023 Executive Assistant (m/f/d) The MPI-CBG is searching for an Executive Assistant (m/f/d). Deadline is 10 April 2023 The successful candidate will provide comprehensive secretarial/Person...