The Innovation and Networks Executive Agency (INEA)
INEA is an Executive Agency established by the European Commission to implement parts of EU funding programmes for transport, energy and telecommunications. The Agency’s mission is to provide its stakeholders with expertise and high-level programme management, whilst promoting synergies among programmes, in order to benefit economic growth and EU citizens.
Two main programmes managed by INEA are:
- The Connecting Europe Facility (CEF): a key EU funding instrument that supports the development of high-performing, sustainable and interconnected Trans-European Networks in the fields of transport, energy and telecommunications. In the 2014-2020 financial period, INEA is managing €28.3 billion of CEF funding for projects in these fields.
- Horizon 2020: the EU’s €80 billion Research and Innovation programme for 2014-2020 that supports world-class science and technology as a driver of economic growth. INEA is managing parts of the programme for a total amount of €5.3 billion over seven years in the areas of transport and energy.
In the 2014-2020 financial period INEA is managing over 9.000 projects under both programmes. The implementation of these programmes is expected to continue beyond 2020. In the future the Commission may decide to entrust INEA with the management of other parts of these programmes, or other programmes.
INEA has a multinational team of around 300 persons. The Agency’s staff includes specialists in project management, finance, engineering, reporting, legal affairs and communication covering the fields of transport, energy and telecommunications.
The number of INEA staff is expected to grow further over the coming years, and the purpose of this publication is therefore to set up a reserve list which will be used to cover the growing needs of the Agency.
INEA is based in Brussels and offers an attractive working environment, as well as numerous sports and social activities.
More information on INEA
Check our website: http://ec.europa.eu/inea
Follow us on Twitter: @inea_eu
Look for us on LinkedIn: http://bit.ly/2ecs3JA
Description of the job
The project manager will be responsible for a portfolio of transport research and innovation projects in one or more of the following five fields:
- Batteries, electrical systems and management systems for electric vehicles;
- Automated transport, intelligent transport systems and data management;
- Clean propulsion, safety and smart services in surface transport;
- Technologies, structures and materials for aviation and air mobility;
- Clean propulsion, technologies and smart services in waterborne transport.
The projects can cover a range of development levels, from lab-based research, through demonstration to market uptake. The project manager will work autonomously under the authority of a team leader. He/she will also collaborate fully with a wider team of colleagues in the Agency and the European Commission.
The project manager will contribute to the development and implementation of relevant policies falling under EC treaties in the field of Transport research and innovation through the management of projects in the programmes under the responsibility of the Agency, primarily those relating to the delegated activities to be managed under the Horizon 2020 Transport Challenge and any other delegated programmes.
+ SPECIFIC PROJECT/PROCESS MANAGEMENT - Project and process management
- Prepare, manage and monitor calls for proposals/ tenders, and the evaluation and selection of projects, including the selection of experts and allocation of experts to proposals.
- Prepare technical and financial aspects of the contract linked to the implementation of the projects.
- Monitor the fulfilment of contractual obligations (via periodic and, possibly, on-site reviews, audits, reporting and assistance, etc.), with the possible help of external expertise and ensure quality control.
- Contribute to horizontal activities including clustering and networking aspects of the programme and its projects.
FINANCE - Financial Expenditures
- Maintain an overview of progress and financial expenditures of projects, and provide the necessary assurance on the legality and regularity of all transactions.
- Scrutinise the financial aspects of the projects, in particular with regard to the need and eligibility of costs.
+ INTER-SERVICE COORDINATION and CONSULTATION - with other institutions and organisations
- Participate in the co-ordination of activities with external stakeholders to ensure the success of the projects.
+ INTERNAL MANAGEMENT and COORDINATION - within the unit /department /
- Represent the unit in contacts with other units and departments of the Agency.
- Co-ordinate specific horizontal activities within the unit, department and Agency.
- Contribute to administrative development of the management process within the unit or department.
- Contribute and coordinate activities of the unit or department with other services to respond to inter-service consultations.
- Reply to requests for information and prepare briefings.
+ POLICY DEVELOPMENT- Contribution to Policy definition
- Contribute to the development by the parent DG of strategy and new approaches to the programme by providing timely feedback and reporting on the lessons learnt from the projects' implementation, results and ex-post evaluation.
+ EXTERNAL COMMUNICATION (general) - Public information (communication and networking)
- Extract and disseminate the state of the art as well as project and programme results and present these at workshops, seminars, conferences and other public events organised by the Agency, the parent DG or by third parties.
+ QUALITY MANAGEMENT and EVALUATION - Programme/projects evaluation
- Contribute to the analysis and assessment the results and impact of the projects and programme, provide feedback and make suggestions for modifications / new orientations.
- Assure and contribute to the effective dissemination and take up of project results.
Qualifications and experience required
A. Eligibility criteria
- Be owner of a CAST in the grade for which you are applying* OR be registered in the EPSO/CAST/P/4/2017**;
- A level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma OR , when in a member state of the European Union access to a profession of an equivalent level to function group IV is by State examination, professional training or any other equivalent procedure, the authority authorised to conclude contract of employment may agree to recognize this qualification as being equivalent to a university degree;
- Thorough knowledge of one of the languages of the Communities and a satisfactory knowledge of another EU language to the extent necessary to perform his/her duties.
* Candidates must be included in the European Personnel Selection Office (EPSO) database for contract agents in function group IV and have successfully passed the EPSO selection tests for that function group. Please note that candidates who are on a valid EPSO list published in 2010 (CAST2010) are eligible on the condition they have successfully passed the complementary tests (DB3), as an Annex to the selection procedure CAST2010. The candidates concerned are invited to consult the letter they received from EPSO for further information.
** In the context of the call for expression of interest EPSO/CAST/P/4/2017 procedure , your application will be considered only if you are available to be flagged for the EPSO testing request during the screening phase of this selection process . The pre-selected candidates will be requested by the Agency to undergo the EPSO tests. Only candidates that have successfully passed the EPSO CAST selection will then be invited for an interview.
In addition, in order to be eligible, a candidate must:
- be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union;
- be entitled to his/her full rights as citizen;
- meet the appropriate character reference as to his/her suitability for the performance of his/her duties;
- have fulfilled any obligations imposed by the applicable laws concerning military service, and;
- be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post.
Please note that only candidates that comply with the Eligibility criteria will be considered for further steps of this Selection procedure.
B. Selection criteria
- An engineering or other degree that is directly relevant to one or more of the five fields mentioned in the job description;
- At least 3 years professional experience relevant to transport research and innovation in one or more of the five fields mentioned in the job description;
- At least 3 years professional experience in project management;
- Very good knowledge of English (written and spoken).
- Understanding of the EU research and innovation framework and procedures;
- Experience in working with research and innovation projects;
- Very good command of other European Union languages, in particular German and/or French.
Personal qualities essential for the position (evaluated during the interview):
- Very good drafting, co-ordination and problem-solving skills;
- High degree of organisational skills and ability to work under pressure;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proven ability to work as a team member;
- Ability to appreciate and follow priorities.
After having been preselected by the Selection Committee, the Agency will invite for an interview the best candidates, that are owner of a CAST in the relevant function group or that have successfully passed the EPSO CAST selection EPSO/CAST/P/4/2017, with a maximum of 20 candidates invited to the interview.
Candidates are requested to clearly state in their motivation letter for which field(s) mentioned in the above job description they apply and why their degree is relevant to the field(s) identified.
Appointment and conditions of employment
The jobholder will be assigned on the basis of a shortlist proposed by the selection committee.
The jobholder will be recruited as contract staff, in function group IV, pursuant to Article 3a of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Communities (CEOS).
The basic monthly salary within this function group will depend on the number of years of relevant professional experience at appropriate level (in function group IV, either grade 13, grade 14 or grade 16).
The jobholder will serve a probation period of nine months.
The initial contract will be for a duration of 1 year. Afterwards, the contract may be renewed for 1 additional year. If the contract is renewed again, it shall be concluded for an indefinite period.
The place of employment will be Brussels where the Agency has its activities.
For reasons related to the Agency’s operational requirements, the candidate will be required to be available at short notice.
For further information on the legal framework of contract agents see the web site of the Directorate-General for Human Resources and Security (DG HR) on the internet at
The European Union institutions apply a policy of equal opportunities and accept applications without discrimination on the grounds of sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion or belief, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation.
For applications to be valid, candidates must submit:
- a detailed curriculum vitae, in EU CV format ;
- a letter of motivation (2 pages maximum), with a clear identification of the field(s) mentioned in the job description to which she/he applies, an explanation why her/his degree is relevant to the field(s) identified, and an explanation of how each of the eligibility and selection criteria are met.
Your EPSO candidate ID number and the reference of CAST must be mentioned in your CV and motivation letter.
Please note that the motivation letter forms an essential basis for the pre-selection decision.
Applications must be submitted through the eRecruitment system on our website at
Closing date: Applications must be sent no later than 13 March 2020 midnight.
Supporting documents showing evidence of the provided information may be requested at a later stage. No document will be sent back to candidates.
Candidates are invited to apply in English to facilitate the selection process.
In no circumstances should candidates approach the Selection Committee themselves, either directly or indirectly concerning this recruitment. The authority habilitated to conclude contracts reserves itself the right to disqualify any candidate who disregards these instructions.
A - Written test (30 min)
A case study in English designed to test:
- your knowledge in the field of the profile,
- your ability to understand, analyse and summarise,
- your drafting ability.
This test will be marked out of 40 (pass mark: 20).
B – Oral test (30 min)
Interview with a selection board in English to assess:
- your knowledge in the field of transport research and innovation,
- your suitability to carry out the duties of a Project Manager,
- your knowledge and experience in the field of project management,
- your communication, inter-personal and problem-solving skills
- your knowledge of the Horizon 2020 programme,
- your motivation and your ability to adjust to working as a Contractual Agent in a multicultural environment.
This test will be marked out of 100 (pass mark: 50).
Both the oral and written tests will be combined on a total of 140. Minimum mark: 84 out of 140.
Applicants receiving the minimum score and above (84 out 140), all tests combined, will be included in a reserve list of suitable candidates. Please note that inclusion in the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment.
Information to candidates
An acknowledgement of receipt will be sent to all candidates by email to confirm the reception of their application.
All candidates will be informed in due time about the status of their application, i.e. whether they are invited for the selection phase described above or not. These notifications will be sent via email only.
A candidate may request clarifications about the processing of his/her application by sending an email quoting the reference of the vacancy notice concerned, to the following address: INEA-HR-INFO@ec.europa.eu .
A candidate who estimates that a mistake was made in the assessment of his/her profile may ask to have it re-assessed by sending, within 15 calendar days of the date on the email notifying the rejection of his/her application, a request for review, quoting the number of the vacancy notice concerned to the Chairman of the Selection Committee to the following address: INEA-HR-INFO@ec.europa.eu
The Selection Committee will re-examine the application and notify the candidate of its decision within 15 working days upon receipt of the request.
The purpose of processing of the data submitted by candidates is to manage the applications in view of a possible pre-selection and recruitment at the INEA. The personal information requested from candidates will be processed in line with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2018 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the Community institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data.
 Candidates who are blocked and therefore cannot be flagged in order to be invited by EPSO to undergo the EPSO/CAST/P/4/2017 competition, because they have failed in the previous testing windows, will be considered as not eligible regardless of the relevance or not of their CV.
Dtu Tenure Track Assistant Professor(S) Or Associate Professor(S) In Transport Economics, Transport Psychology Or Transport Modelling, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 23 hours ago
DTU Management - Department of Technology, Management and Economics invites applications for positions as Assistant or Associate Professor in Transport Economics, Transport Psychology or Transport...
Pd Eng Trainee Designer Bioprocess Engineering (Tud00049), Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 1 day ago
PDEng Trainee Designer Bioprocess Engineering Department/faculty: Department Level: University Graduate Working hours: 0 hours weekly Contract: initially a 1-year contract, with a possible 1-year ...
Laboratory Assistant At The Biosensors For Bioengineering Research Group , Institute for Bioengineering of Catalonia (IBEC), Luxembourg, about 10 hours ago
Read more… Main tasks and responsibilities / The successful candidate will develop research involving: Support in cell cultivation and encapsulation in biomaterials Support in immunoassays develop...
Aurin Senior Software Engineer, University of Melbourne, Australia, about 3 hours ago
The Australian Urban Research Infrastructure Network (AURIN) project (www.aurin.org.au ) is an exciting initiative tasked with delivering a state-of-the-art research infrastructure to support urba...
Early Stage Researcher , Queen's University Belfast ;, United Kingdom, about 6 hours ago
Marie Curie COFUND CITI-GENS Programme We currently have opportunities for early stage researchers throughout the University through the prestigious Marie Curie COFUND CITI-GENS programme. Reporti...
Early Stage Researcher, Queen's University Belfast, United Kingdom, about 19 hours ago
Job details Job titleEarly Stage Researcher Job reference20/108245 Date posted01/06/2020 Application closing date10/07/2020 Salary£28,331 per annum. Job category/typeResearch Attachments Blank Job...