Mission Lucidity is a unique multidisciplinary partnership between four institutes in Leuven, Belgium:
- KU Leuven (Europe’s most innovative university – Reuters 2019),
- UZ Leuven (Belgium’s largest university hospital),
- VIB (a European Centre of Excellence in life sciences with one of the world’s highest patent citation rates), and
- imec (the world-leading nanoelectronics and digital technologies hub).
By combining excellent nanotechnology, life sciences, and clinical research, we aim to develop ground-breaking scientific and medical solutions for neurodegenerative diseases.
Our scientific program is led by Professors Mathieu Vandenbulcke, Bart De Strooper, Rik Vandenberghe, Patrik Verstreken, and Dr. Dries Braeken, leading researchers in neurodegeneration and nanotechnology applied to life sciences. It is currently centered around four interdisciplinary research projects, each of which aims to develop a novel tool to tackle the main obstacles in the search for a cure for neurodegeneration.
To fund our ambitious research plans, in addition to applying for regular sources of funding (such as competitive grants), we strive for a stable fundraising relationship with international and national trusts and foundations. We are primarily seeking philanthropic support in amounts ranging from $150k to $20 million. Overall, our ambition is to raise at least $100 million within the next five years.
We are currently looking for a Program Development Officer to strengthen our team with regards to program management and business development.
You would be responsible for:
- Driving our multidisciplinary research program forward by connecting people and providing scientific and managerial support to the teams
- Managing and coordinating our fundraising activities in Belgium, Europe, and the US
Your specific tasks would be:
- Identifying challenging ideas, innovative research lines, and opportunities that could move the field forward
- Stimulating collaborations and interactions towards ambitious scientific plans
- Drafting interdisciplinary research plans, grants, and related agreements
- Monitoring the correct implementation of concluded agreements and follow‐up
- Reporting on the progress of the research projects
- Shaping of our strategic plan, together with the scientific and steering committees
- Developing and maintaining a network of international contacts
- Organizing scientific meetings, symposia, and congresses
- Providing outreach to the public and press, together with the communication team
- Being the daily point of contact for our external fundraiser in the US
- Providing support (pen holder) in the preparation of our value propositions, tailored towards the real needs of the target international trusts or foundations
- Playing a connecting role in the relations between (potential) funders and our experts
- You have a scientific, clinical or technological background, preferably a PhD degree, and a clear interest in multidisciplinary, collaborative research.
- You wish to actively contribute to impactful initiatives such as Mission Lucidity.
- You are mature, empathic, charismatic, trustworthy, and communicative.
- You are a bridge builder and result-driven.
- You will be able to represent our four partners in a balanced and fair manner.
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills in English; proficiency in Dutch is a plus.
- You have experience in international commercial or business development activities, ideally with regards to innovation in areas like healthcare, biotech or pharma.
- You are accustomed to executive business practices.
- A full-time assignment in a flexible work context
- A remuneration and additional benefits based on your profile, expertise, and experience
- A unique opportunity to work at the crossroads between academic research and business development
Starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
To apply for this position, please send your CV and brief motivation letter to Ms. An Schreurs at email@example.com . You can also contact her for more information.
Applications are welcome until January 31, 2021.
Machine Learning Models For Natural Language Understanding Inspired By The Working Of The Brain , Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 10 days ago
* A postdoctoral position for 2 years (can be prolonged). * A competitive wage and yearly budget to travel and attend conferences. * The opportunity for personal development beyond research includ...
Specialist Paediatrics (# Of Pos: 2), PhD-Jobs.NET, Belgium, 11 days ago
Profile: General Paediatric care, sub-specialty would be an option but not mandatory. There are 3 colleagues. Salary is about €8000 gross per month but will be higher when you work independent or ...
Researcher Genomics And Transcriptomics Of Feed Resilience In Pigs, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 14 days ago
(ref. BAP-2021-83) Laatst aangepast : 9/02/2021 KU Leuven offers a competitive and international working environment with access to cutting-edge technologies and expertise. KU Leuven is the best i...
Coordinator And Business Developer Single Cell And Long Read Sequencing, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 1 day ago
(ref. BAP-2021-179) Laatst aangepast : 1/03/2021 The Genomics Core is the largest sequencing facility in Belgium and performs every step in the NGS (Next Generation Sequencing) workflow for both d...
Developing The Alignment Control System For The Et( Pathfinder) Mirrors, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 12 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2021-203) Laatst aangepast : 3/03/2021 The Institute of Astronomy (IoA) of KU Leuven is a young and vibrant research group of some 80 scientists, engineers, and administrative staff, inc...
Valorisation Expert Ip Life Sciences, University of Leuven, Belgium, 24 days ago
An official website of the European UnionAn official EU websiteHow do you know? All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain. See all EU institutions and bodies Cookie...