22 Nov 2023
- Research Field
Engineering » Electrical engineering
- Researcher Profile
Established Researcher (R3)
- Application Deadline
13 Feb 2024 - 23:59 (Europe/Brussels)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
European Union / Next Generation EU
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Professor in Electrical Energy Management in Distribution Grids
Last modified: 21/11/23
In the Science, Engineering and Technology Group of KU Leuven, Faculty of Engineering Technology, Department of Electrical Engineering (ESAT-ELECTA), there is a full-time academic vacancy (part of the senior academic staff) in the area of electrical engineering at the KU Leuven Ghent Campus. We are looking for internationally orientated candidates with an excellent research record and with educational competencies in electrical energy management. While the research of ESAT ELECTA-Ghent is embedded in EnergyVille (cooperation of KU Leuven, VITO, imec and UHasselt with headquarters in Genk and focussing on sustainable energy and smart energy systems), the professors of this unit are mainly operating from the research facilities in Ghent. Research infrastructure is available for photovoltaic systems, energy storage, grid protection, electric mobility,… and the group has an extensive (inter)national network, connections with companies and non-profit organisations, a stable offer of skilled PhD students and a supportive work environment. The Faculty of Engineering Technology has a specific application-oriented teaching, research and PhD profile and focusses on R&D that brings innovation that is relevant for industry and/or society. The appointee will be expected to comply with that profile.
- You develop a research program in electrical energy management focused on the design and/or control of low voltage distribution networks. The energy management may be approached from a system, hardware or metering perspective. Your research supports the energy transition by optimizing the implementation of innovative techniques such as (the combination of) V2X, energy sharing, local energy storage and production.
- You cooperate intensively within the ELECTA Ghent group where the R&D has a strong experimental component. You take the initiative to develop future research projects and set up collaborations with national and international academic partners, as well as industrial partners, including small and medium enterprises (SMEs). You closely work together with the members of the EnergyVille research institute and actively assist in the carrying out of the ongoing research projects. You are capable of acquiring competitive funding. You publish at the highest scientific level and supervise PhDs and master students.
- You pay the required attention to the technology transfer and application of the results of your research in industry/government/society.
- You ensure high-quality education in the field of electrical engineering in the Bachelor and Master of Science in Engineering Technology – Energy - Electronics-ICT and Electromechanics in the Faculty of Engineering Technology, with a clear commitment for the quality of the programme as a whole. You are willing to teach or coordinate other courses in the program. All professors are expected to teach a few basic undergraduate courses.
- You are enthusiastic about pedagogic projects and coaching of students in the bachelor, master and PhD program.
- You develop teaching activities, in line with KU Leuven's focus on activating and research-based education. You make use of specific educational training programmes offered by the faculty and the university.
- Besides your teaching duties at KU Leuven Ghent Campus, you may be asked, within the multi-campus model, to take up a limited teaching duty at another campus.
- You are prepared to provide scientific, societal and internal services.
- You like to contribute to the promotion of STEM and electrical engineering to young people, and initiatives that encourage a diverse public to join the engineering programs of the Faculty of Engineering Technology of KU Leuven.
- You have a PhD or doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering.
- You have a strong research track record in the domain, evidenced by publications in good quality/international journals. Industrial experience and international research experience are positive factors. Experience in acquisition of competitive funding is an asset.
- You have good teaching skills, and educational experience is considered a positive factor.
- You possess leadership and organisational skills and value the cooperation in a team highly.
- Proficiency in English is required. The official language used at KU Leuven is Dutch. If you do not speak Dutch (or do not speak it well) at the start of employment, KU Leuven will provide language training to enable you to take part in meetings andto acquire the level of Dutch that is required for tenure. Before teaching courses in Dutch or English, you will be given the opportunity to learn Dutch, respectively English, to the required standard.
- You accept the necessary mobility required in fulfilling the teaching and research assignments.
We are offering full-time employment in an intellectually challenging environment.
KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that carries out both fundamental and applied scientific research. Our university has a high inter- and multidisciplinary focus and strives for international excellence. In this regard we actively work together with research partners in Belgium and abroad and provide our students with an academic education that is based on high-quality scientific research.
You will work at KU Leuven Ghent Campus, in a historic city with a 40-minute rail connection to Brussels, and about three hours train to Paris, London and Amsterdam.
Depending on your record and qualifications, you will be appointed to or tenured in one of the grades of the senior academic staff: assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor. In principle, junior researchers are appointed as assistant professor on the tenure track for a period of 5 years; after this period and a positive evaluation, they are permanently appointed (or tenured) as an associate professor.
KU Leuven is well set to welcome foreign professors and their family and provides practical support with regard to immigration & administration, housing, childcare, learning Dutch, partner career coaching, …
To facilitate scientific onboarding and accelerate research in the first phase a starting grant of 110.000 euro is offered to new professors without substantial other funding, appointed for at least 50%.
For more information on the contents of the job, please contact Prof. dr. ir. Georges Gielen, chair of the ESAT Department (tel.: +32 16 32 40 76, [email protected] ) or Prof. dr. Peter Hanselaer, campus chair KU Leuven Ghent Campus (tel.: +32 9 26727 11, [email protected] , mobile: +32 499 524 806)
KU Leuven places great importance on research integrity and ethical conduct and will therefore ask you to sign an integrity statement upon appointment.
For problems with online applying, please contact [email protected] .
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at [email protected] .
- Job application procedure
- Working conditions
- Career opportunities
Do you have a question about the online application system? Please consult our FAQ or email us at [email protected]
Appointment percentage: Full-time
Apply until: 13/02/2024
Tags: Engineering Technology, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering
published by: www.academiceurope.com
- Research Field
- Engineering » Electrical engineering
- Education Level
- PhD or equivalent
- Number of offers available
- KU Leuven
Where to apply
Research Technician – Vib Ku Leuven Laboratory For Immunology Of Metastatic Ecosystems, VIB, Belgium, 5 days ago
The Laboratory for Immunology of Metastatic Ecosystems is looking for a full-time research technician to assist us with our experimental efforts. We are a young and diverse lab embedded within the...
Business Development Manager Microbiology, VIB, Belgium, 1 day ago
Description Are you passionate about life sciences valorisation? Are you ready to make a real impact by translating the inventions of our world-class scientists into applications in the field of L...
Business Process Expert – Vib Technologies, VIB, Belgium, 3 days ago
VIB is a world-leading center in life sciences and biotechnology, known for its excellent technology transfer. Its success is due to a unique blend of basic research and a strong focus on innovati...
Assistant/Associate Professor High Voltage Technologies With Focus On Monitoring And Diagnostics , Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, 3 days ago
Are you interested in pursuing an academic career at the TU Delft, being or becoming an expert in high voltage monitoring and diagnostics and contribute to the energy transition and greening the g...
Assistant Professor In Chemical Engineering With Focus On Educational Innovation , Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 18 hours ago
Challenge: Sustaining a culture of continuous improvement in chemical engineering education Change: Pioneering education for aspiring chemical engineers Impact: Upholding and advancing the standar...
Assistant Professor Of Geotechnical Uncertainty , Delft University of Technology, Netherlands, about 19 hours ago
Challenge: Understanding uncertainties and their impacts on geotechnical structures and infrastructures. Change: Quantifying risks explicitly using a reliability framework. Impact: Delivering inno...