2 Dec 2023
- Research Field
Computer science » Other
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
14 Mar 2024 - 00:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Reference Number
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
We are looking for a junior candidate with some years of post-doctoral experience and with demonstrated expertise in distributed systems. This broad area includes foundations, techniques and supporting tools to create systems and software.
Candidates are expected to have already obtained excellent research results on some topics within this area, including but not limited to:
- System software at various levels of the software technology stack: from higher-level service layers and middleware, virtualization, operating systems, to hypervisors, microkernels and firmware.
- Security, availability and fault tolerance of systems and distributed systems.
- Performance and scalability aspects of systems and distributed systems.
- Trade-of engineering when combining properties such as performance and security.
- The application of systems research in various types of contemporary technologies, such as cyber-physical systems, cloud-based systems and edge computing, the web, mobile environments and applications, wireless systems, Internet-of-Things, critical infrastructures etc.
We are interested in computer systems of all scales, from small embedded mobile devices to data centers and clouds. This covers all practical aspects related to computer systems, including but not limited to: operating systems; runtime systems; parallel and distributed systems; storage; networking; security and privacy; virtualization; software-hardware interactions; performance evaluation and workload characterization; reliability, availability, and scalability; energy and power management; and bug-finding, tracing, testing analyzing, and troubleshooting.As a faculty member, you develop a research program at an international level in one of these areas. You are expected to publish in this area at the highest scientific level, and to acquire competitive funding and supervise PhD students.
- You provide high-quality education in computer science and secure systems in the Faculty of Engineering Science and the Faculty of Science, in the master and bachelor programme, with a clear commitment to the quality of the programme as a whole.
- You should have evidence of your skills and qualities with respect to teaching at an academic level, or a strong willingness to develop these skills and qualities.
- You contribute to the faculty’s and the university’s pedagogical project by guiding student projects (for example bachelor’s and master’s theses) and by supervising PhD students.
- You develop your teaching in accordance with KU Leuven’s views on activating and researched-based education, and make use of the possibilities for educationa... For more information see https://www.kuleuven.be/personeel/jobsite/jobs/60263909
- Research Field
- Computer science
- Education Level
- PhD or equivalent
- We offer full-time employment in an intellectually challenging environment. KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that carries out both fundamental and applied scientific research. It is highly focused on interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research and strives for international excellence. The university actively works together with research partners in Belgium and abroad and provides its students with an academic education that is based on high-quality scientific research.
- You will work in Leuven, a historic, dynamic and lively city located in the heart of Belgium, within 20 minutes from Brussels, the capital of the European Union, and less than two hours from Paris, London and Amsterdam.
- KU Leuven is well set to welcome foreign professors and their family and provides practical support with regard to immigration & administration, housing, childcare, learning Dutch, partner career coaching; etc.
- To facilitate scientific onboarding and accelerate research in the first phase a starting grant of 110.000 euro is offered to new professors with substantial other funding, appointed for at least 50%.
- As a junior researcher you will be appointed as tenure track assistant professor (“tenure track docent”) for a period of 5 years, starting September 1st 2024. After this period and a positive evaluation, you obtain a tenured position as associate professor.
- You have a PhD in Computer Science, or an equivalent degree. You have a strong track record in research in the field of distributed system and system software, broadly construed.
- You have a strong research profile. The quality of your research is proven by publications in leading international journals and conferences. International experience is an important advantage.
- You have demonstrable qualities related to academic education. The ability to immediately take on a wide range of educational tasks is an advantage.
- You possess organisational skills and have a cooperative attitude. You also possess leadership competencies in a university context.
- A good command of English is required. KU Leuven provides courses in academic English.
- The official administrative language used at KU Leuven is Dutch. If you do not speak Dutch (or do not speak it well) at the start of your employment, KU Leuven will provide language training to enable you to take part in meetings.
- Before teaching courses in Dutch, you will be given the opportunity to learn Dutch to the required level.
For more information on the contents of the job, please contact:• Prof. dr. ir. Wouter Joosen, chair of DistriNet ([email protected] , +32 16 32 76 53)• Prof. dr. ir. Stefan Vandewalle, chair of the Department of Computer Science ([email protected] , +32 16 32 76 54)For more information on the department and the research group, please check the websites: www.cs.kuleuven.be and distrinet.cs.kuleuven.be.
Add to your application the following documents (more information is available on the KU Leuven job site):- your biosketch in which you indicate your added value as an academic for research, education and service to society of your past career and of your future activities (maximum 2 pages);- a file on your five most important publications or realizations;- an extensive cv including a full publication list;- your research plan with focus on the development of your research line and research team in relation with the colleague-researchers of the entity of employment (maximum 3 pages);- your vision on academic education and its organization (maximum 2 pages);- your contribution to society by outreach and public communication on science and technology, internal representation in boards and councils and service activities directly in relation to your developed expertise (maximum 1 page);- your vision on leadership (maximum 1 page).
- Number of offers available
- KU Leuven
- Vlaams Brabant
- Postal Code
Where to apply
- Postal Code
Research Technician – Vib Ku Leuven Laboratory For Immunology Of Metastatic Ecosystems, VIB, Belgium, about 13 hours ago
The Laboratory for Immunology of Metastatic Ecosystems is looking for a full-time research technician to assist us with our experimental efforts. We are a young and diverse lab embedded within the...
Business Development Manager Microbiology, VIB, Belgium, about 13 hours ago
Description Are you passionate about life sciences valorisation? Are you ready to make a real impact by translating the inventions of our world-class scientists into applications in the field of L...
Business Process Expert – Vib Technologies, VIB, Belgium, about 13 hours ago
VIB is a world-leading center in life sciences and biotechnology, known for its excellent technology transfer. Its success is due to a unique blend of basic research and a strong focus on innovati...
Chief Crop Science Officer @ Pestevene Biotope By Vib Program (Part Time, Belgium Or Remote), VIB, Belgium, about 13 hours ago
Pestevene is a startup run by 4 entrepreneurs and scientists currently hosted by the biotope by VIB program. We are a passionate biopesticide company working to develop crop protection products. ...
Young Graduate Trainee In Esa Academy Training Programme , European Space Agency, Netherlands, 13 days ago
Young Graduate Opportunity in the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inc...
Professor Helminthology, Nature Careers, Belgium, 5 days ago
Introduction The Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM) in Antwerp aims at the advancement and spread of science that contributes to infectious disease medicine and to public health globally with fo...