About VIB-UGent Center for Medical Biotechnology
VIB is a life sciences research institute, based in Flanders, Belgium. We perform basic research with a strong focus on translating scientific results into pharmaceutical, agricultural and industrial applications. VIB is an independent research institute of the government, with 1470 scientists from more than 60 countries working at UGent, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Hasselt University.
The VIB-UGent Center for Medical Biotechnology (CMB) focuses on the development of new and innovative molecular tools and technologies to challenge human health problems. The Center translates its novel technologies and insights to widely applicable research tools, vaccines, diagnostics and biopharmaceuticals. Our research pushes the boundaries of protein-focused biomolecular and bioinformatics research and engineering technologies. CMB educates and trains the next generation of medical biotechnology researchers and informs the public on the impact of biotechnology on human health.
The VIB-UGhent Center for Medical Biotechnology is hiring an enthousiastic postdoctoral researcher to develop an improved influenza vaccine. The Saelens group is a highly motivated and multidisciplinary team with a major interest to develop new vaccines and antibody-based antivirals against human influenza and respiratory syncytial virus. We have a long standing interest in influenza vaccine development. This includes the design and production of influenza virus antigens in recombinant expression systems, in vivo evaluation of candidate vaccines, study of the mechanism of action of these vaccines and the establishment of in vitro assays that allow to establish a correlate of protection.
The lab has pioneered the discovery of one of the candidate universal influenza vaccine candidates. Moreover, our team has reported on the discovery of single domain antibodies with potent virus neutralizing activity. Translation of laboratory findings into biomedical applications is an important driver of our research.
- A working climate where trust, (international) collaboration, and commitment are essential
- A two-year contract (extendable) with a competitive salary and benefits
- Financial support is available for 2 years but the successful candidate is encouraged to obtain an independent fellowship during this time.
- Access to state-of-the art equipment for life science research
- The successful candidate will work together with and directly supervise two highly skilled lab technicians.
- We seek a young and ambitious postdoctoral fellow interested to work at the interface of fundamental and applied research.
- A background in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Bio-engineering or equivalent and proficient experience in influenza virology research are required; experience in influenza vaccine research is an asset.
- You are a creative, cooperative person with hands-on attitude and the ability to organise and prioritise workload
- Effective communication and writing skills and a good mastery of the English language (TOEFL test) are essential for a successful selection.
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV and a short motivation letter (with the description of previous research experiences and contact information of 3 referees).
Interested candidates are invited to apply as soon as possible. Applications will be welcome until the position is filled.
For more information, please contact Xavier Saelens .
Postdoctoral Position In The Nephrology And Renal Transplantation Research Group, KU Leuven, Belgium, about 3 hours ago
• Duration: full-time contract for 12 months, with possibility to extend it. You are stimulated to apply for a postdoctoral fellowship. • The job is immediately available • Access to state-of-t...
Multiple Vacancies: Fully Funded Ph D Studentships And Postdoc Positions (# Of Pos: 4), Ghent University, Belgium, 2 days ago
General benefits: You will become part of a vibrant and successful research group at one of the leading universities in the heart of Europe. The positions are fully funded, and remuneration and ot...
Postdoctoral Fellow, Ghent University, Belgium, about 19 hours ago
Job description We aim at laying the foundations for a new generation of laser systems that utilize semiconductor nanocrystals as the gain medium. In particular, the research will focus on colloid...
Postdoc Immunology And Vaccinology At Center Of Infectious Diseases, Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC), Netherlands, 20 days ago
Pneumonia causes the death of almost one million children each year. Current vaccines against the most common bacterial cause, pneumococcus, face serious limitations. One hurdle to the development...
Postdoctoral Fellowship In Cancer Immunotherapy, Oslo universitetssykehus, Norway, 8 days ago
Department of Cellular Therapy, Oslo University Hospital One Postdoctoral position (Helse Sør-Øst) is available for 3 years, from September 1st 2019, in the Translational Research & Immunomonitori...
Postdoctoral Studies Focused On Dopamine Neurons, Stem Cells And Regenerative Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 1 hour ago
The Department of Cell and Molecular Biology (CMB) is a department with a strong focus on basic science. CMB conducts research and education in cell biology, molecular biology, developmental biolo...