25 May 2023
University of Antwerp
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
15 Jun 2023 - 23:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
To be defined
- Job Status
- Hours Per Week
To be defined
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow’s world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Computer Science in the Faculty of Science is looking for a full-time (100%) postdoctoral researcher in the field of molecular artificial intelligence.
- You will develop artificial intelligence solutions to analyze billion-scale mass spectrometry-based metabolomics data and study the role of small molecules as fundamental building blocks of life. You will contribute to the ongoing development of machine learning applications for other large-scale biomolecular data interpretation problems.
- You will be part of the Adrem Data Lab, an internationally renowned research group known for its contributions to the theory as well as practical application of data sciences, and Biomina (biomedical informatics research network Antwerp), a multidisciplinary Core Facility that brings data science technology and challenges in life sciences and biomedicine together.
- You will assist in ongoing research projects in computational mass spectrometry and bioinformatics. You will collaborate with partners in the Flemish biotechnology industry, including world-leading pharmaceutical companies.
- You will help coordinate project proposals in the field of bioinformatics and the life sciences and contribute to attracting external funding from national and international funding agencies.
- You will assist in the supervision of PhD students and other team members.
- You will fulfil a limited number of teaching activities, such as assisting practical teaching sessions and supervising Bachelor and Master students in the group.
- You will participate in the provision of academic services: you will represent the research group both internally and externally, help to coordinate service projects, and so on.
- You hold a PhD in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Bioinformatics, Computational Chemistry, Computational Biology, or related fields (or you will have obtained it by the time you start work). We especially encourage candidates with a PhD in quantitative sciences and a strong interest in applying their data science skills to relevant life science challenges to apply.
- Although a background in molecular biology or the life sciences is an advantage, it is not a prerequisite. If this is the case, please address it in your cover letter.
- Foreign candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies .
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision .
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- Excellent programming skills in Python, with extensive experience using scientific and deep learning software libraries (PyTorch, NumPy, Scikit-Learn, …) are required.
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills, have an inquisitive mindset, and have strong interpersonal skills. You are fully fluent in English.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time contract as a postdoctoral researcher for an initial period of 12 months, to be extended upon a positive evaluation. You will be expected to apply for personal postdoctoral fellowships from external funding agencies, with assistance of our faculty members.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for a principal research fellow in the Contract Research Staff category (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance, group insurance, income protection insurance, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is July 1, 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Middelheim in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here .
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including June 15, 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on ‘Apply’ and complete the online application form. Don’t forget to include the following document(s):
- a strong motivation letter
- a detailed academic CV
- a software portfolio (e.g. GitHub)
- two to three recommendation letters or contact information of scientific references.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Interviews of the candidates, after a preselection by the selection committee, will take place in June 2023.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Dr. Wout Bittremieux (firstname.lastname@example.org ) and Prof Dr. Kris Laukens (email@example.com ) with as email subject “Postdoc molecular AI”.
- Number of offers available
- University of Antwerp
Where to apply
Postdoctoral Researcher International Relations/International Security, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 1 day ago
Department: Department of Political Science Regime Full-time Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking university. We offer an innova...
Postdoctoral Scholarship Holder Electrochemical Engineering, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 1 day ago
Department: Chemistry/Biochemistry Regime Full-time Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innov...
Researcher Quantifying And Modelling Marine And Coastal Ecosystem Services, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 1 day ago
Department: Department of Biology Regime Full-time Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking European university. We offer an innovat...
Postdoctoral Researcher For Research In And Coordination Of Project On The Design And Effects Of Alternative Form Of Policy And Regulation In Of Environmental Protection And Welfare/Care, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 1 day ago
Department: Department of Political Science Regime Full-time or Part-time Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp About us The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking universi...
Post Doctoral Researcher In Verified Self Adaptive Systems At The Department Of Electrical And Computer Engineering, Aarhus University, Denmark, about 18 hours ago
In the realm of cyber-physical systems, ensuring the trustworthiness of self-adaptation processes is a pivotal challenge. The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Aarhus University h...
Research Assistant In Bioinformatics With A Focus On Cancer Immunology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 6 days ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? Targeting the immune system to treat tumors has revolutionized cancer care, but many patients fail to respond to current immunotherapies,...