Department: Center for Molecular Neurology
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology - Labs is looking for a full-time (100%) postdoctoral researcher in the field of neuroimmunology and/or neuroinflammation.
The research team of Prof. Emanuela Pasciuto studies the complex interactions between the immune and nervous systems. We have discovered a population of brain resident T-cells regulating microglia maturation, challenging current dogmas in the field of neuroimmunology. Our main objective is to gain mechanistic insights into the contribution of T cells to brain plasticity and their impact in neurodegenerative, neurodevelopmental disorders.
The VIB-UAntwerp Center is part of VIB, a Life Sciences institute with colleague-researchers in neuroscience, cancer, biotechnology, structural biology, and immunology amongst others and an extensive set of core facilities and opportunities for technology transfer. The VIB-UAntwerp Center is also embedded within the University of Antwerp.
Yshii L.*, Pasciuto E*, Bielefeld P.*, Mascali L., Lemaitre P., Marino M., Dooley J., Kouser L., Verschoren S., Lagou V., Kemps H., Gervois P, de Boer A, Burton O.T., Wahis J., Verhaert J., Tareen S., Roca C. P., Singh K., Whyte C. E., Kerstens A., Callaerts-Vegh Z., Poovathingal S, Prezzemolo T., Wierda K., Dashwood A, Xie J., Van Wonterghem E., Creemers E., Aloulou M., Gsell W., Abiega O., Munck S., Vandenbroucke R. E., Bronckaers A., Lemmens R., De Strooper B., Van Den Bosch L., Himmelreich U., Fitzsimons C. P., Holt M.G. # ,Liston A.# (2022). Synthetic delivery of IL2 expands the brain regulatory T cell population and effectively prevents pathological neuroinflammation. Nature Immunology, 23 (6). doi: 10.1038/s41590-022-01208-z .*, # First Author, Equal contribution
Pasciuto E.*., Burton, O.T.*, Roca, C.P.*, Lagou, V., Rajan, W.D., Theys, T., Mancuso, R., Tito, R.Y., Kouser, L., Callaerts-Vegh, Z., de la Fuente, A.G., Prezzemolo, T., Mascali, L.G., Brajic, A., Whyte, C.E., Yshii, L., Martinez-Muriana, A., Naughton, M., Young, A., Moudra, A., Lemaitre, P., Poovathingal, S., Raes, J., De Strooper, B., Fitzgerald, D.C., Dooley, J., Liston, A. (2020). Microglia Require CD4 T Cells to Complete the Fetal-to-Adult Transition. Cell, 182 (3), doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2020.06.026. * First Author, Equal contribution
Briz, V.*, Restivo, L.*, Pasciuto E.*., Juczewski, K., Mercaldo, V., Lo, A.C., Baatsen, P., Gounko, N.V., Borreca, A., Girardi, T., Luca, R., Nys, J., Poorthuis, R.B., Mansvelder, H.D., Fisone, G., Ammassari-Teule, M., Arckens, L., Krieger, P., Meredith, R., Bagni, C. (2017). The non-coding RNA BC1 regulates experience-dependent structural plasticity and learning. Nature Communications, 8 (1), Art.No. 293. doi: 10.1038/s41467-017-00311-2.* First Author, Equal contribution
- You will assist in ongoing research projects and the activities of the research group of Prof. Emanuela Pasciuto
- You will help coordinate project proposals and contribute to attracting external funding.
- You will assist in the supervision of PhD students and other team members.
- The applicant should be passionate about driving and performing research and associated laboratory tasks and be able to work independently.
- PhD. in biology, biomedical sciences, or related disciplines
- Solid publication record
- Experience in neuroimmunology or neurobiology
- Experienced in working with mouse models (FELASA B or C required)
- Experience with flow cytometry and/or transcriptomics or other omics technologies is highly beneficial
- Experience with molecular biology and microscopy is preferred
- Good writing and communication skills in English
- Creative, highly motivated, independent, team player
What we offer
- A full-time position initially for one year with the possibility for renewal up to 3 years. You will be encouraged to apply for personal fellowships
- The possibility to independently lead your research project, but with sufficient guidance and mentoring
- Access to state-of-the-art technologies and infrastructure.
- A friendly, dynamic, and scientifically stimulating working environment
- Various high level training opportunities to broaden your expertise and skills
- The planned start date is 01/06/2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here
As part of the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology and VIB, the applicant will benefit from established collaborations and access to centralized facilities with expertise in genomics (short and long read sequencing), functional genomics and cell biology, proteomics, cutting-edge microscopy, structural biology, technology development, and bioinformatics.
VIB provides a highly interactive environment and ample training opportunities for its researchers. The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology is located in the city of Antwerp, the capital of Flanders, offering a culturally and historically rich and ethnically diverse environment.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform. Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s):
- a letter of motivation describing your interests
- contact details of one or two referees
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact email@example.com
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Postdoc Position At The Leibniz Institute For Immunotherapy (Lit) (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, 4 days ago
Postdoc position (E13) at the Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (LIT) with flexible starting date (m/f/d) The LIT - Leibniz Institute for Immunotherapy (foundation under civil law) (http://www.r...
Postdoc Position To Investigate The Biophysical Basis Of Neural Computation With Machine Learning, VIB, Belgium, about 14 hours ago
About the Lab The Gonçalves lab is a recently founded research group at the Neuro-Electronics Flanders (NERF), Belgium. We are currently exploring a range of exciting topics at the intersection b...
Post Doc Position In Cell Biology (Karenzvertretung/ Maternity Leave Replacement), University of Vienna, Austria, 5 days ago
24 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Vienna Department Molecular Drug Targeting Group Research Field Pharmacological sciences » Other Researcher Profile Recognised Resear...
Research Assistant In Immunology With Advanced Light Microscopy (Temporary Employment), Stockholm University, Sweden, about 1 hour ago
Ref. No. SU FV-1966-23 at the Department of biochemistry and biophysics . Closing date: 31 May 2023. SciLifeLab (SciLifeLab ) is a national center for molecular biosciences with a focus on health ...
Research Assistant In Immunology With Advanced Light Microscopy (Temporary Employment), SciLifeLab, Sweden, 3 days ago
SciLifeLab (SciLifeLab ) is a national center for molecular biosciences with a focus on health and environmental research. The center combines frontline technical expertise with advanced knowledge...
Expression Of Interest In Postdoctoral Fellowship (Msca Or Fwo) (Ref. Bap 2023 239), KU Leuven, Belgium, 14 days ago
13 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KU Leuven Research Field Biological sciences » Biological engineering Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Belgium Application Dea...