Department: Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Let’s shape the future– University of Antwerp
The Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences of the University of Antwerp is looking for a full-time post-doc researcher to develop an LC-HRMS platform for metabolomics in human matrices. The project will be executed at the Toxicological Centre of the University of Antwerp (TC, UA) , which has extensive analytical expertise and instrumental capabilities related to human exposure assessment and environmental and analytical toxicology. The TC has also developed in-house untargeted metabolomics and lipidomics analytical platforms based on liquid chromatography-quadrupole time-of-flight tandem mass spectrometry (LC-QTOF-MS) for the analysis of different biological matrices, such as cell extracts and animal tissues. However, there is an urgent need to evaluate and refine these platforms for the analysis of human biological fluids, such as blood and urine.
- To develop and optimize sample preparation procedures for blood and urine to ensure a wide coverage of the metabolome in these complex matrices.
- To tailor the current untargeted metabolomics and lipidomics platforms based on LC-QTOF-MS for the specific needs and characteristics of these matrices.
- To investigate the usefulness of including additional separation dimensions, such as 2D-LC or ion mobility in the acquisition of data of higher quality.
- To refine the current data processing and metabolite annotation workflows using vendor and open access software tools for the specific needs of the human metabolome and lipidome.
- To propose a set of QA/QC measures and criteria for the data acquisition and data analysis workflows to ensure the production of high-quality data.
The outcome of this project would be to establish the first untargeted metabolomics/lipidomics platform at UAntwerpen for human biological fluids.
Profile and requirements:
- You hold a PhD in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, biomedical or environmental sciences, pharmaceutical sciences, or a related area, obtained after 1 January 2020.
- You have experience and solid knowledge with the handling and use of LC coupled to HRMS and the preparation of biological samples (biofluids, tissues, and/or cells) for MS-based metabolomics.
- You have experience in bioinformatics to process HRMS data for statistical analyses and biomarker discovery.
- You possess excellent English communication skills, both written and oral.
- You are available to work full time, with high motivation, good planning, communication, and organizational skills.
- You are able to work effectively both independently and in team, as part of a multidisciplinary, international, and multicultural team; you can manage conflicting demands and meet deadlines.
- You commit, upon acceptance of the mandate, to apply for a postdoctoral fellowship at a subsequent FWO post-doc call (Dec 2023) and/or Marie Sk?odowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) post-doc call (Sept 2023), with the University of Antwerp as host institution.
What we offer
- Scientific development opportunities in an international cooperative, interdisciplinary research environment and an excellent working atmosphere in a very dynamic, international and professional team
- Extensive state-of-the-art equipment and infrastructure
- The opportunity to present your data on international conferences and participate in workshops
- A competitive salary
- The planned start date is 1 June 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
Want to apply:
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 30 March 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a 1-page motivation letter and your CV.
- The selection committee will review all applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview in April-May 2023 and will be asked to prepare a short (1-page) project proposal to be discussed during the interview.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com . If you have any questions about the project, please contact: Prof. Dr. Adrian Covaci (firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Prof. Alexander van Nuijs (email@example.com ).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organization which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation, or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
Full Time Researcher In Social Economic Sciences (Phd. Track) – Wealth, Poverty And Social Policy, University of Antwerp, Belgium, 23 days ago
7 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company University of Antwerp Research Field Economics » Other Sociology » Other Sociology » Socio-economic research Researcher Profile First Stage Research...
Post Doc Position In Chemical Proteomics And Data Analysis, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 10 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? The Chemical Proteomics Core Facility of Karolinska Institutet (ChemProt), Department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics, announces a...
Postdoctoral Fellowship (2 Years) In Studies Of Metabolic Pathways For Methylmercury Formation, Umea University, Sweden, 10 days ago
20 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Umea University Department Chemistry Research Field Chemistry Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Sweden Application Deadline 30 ...
2 Postdoctoral Researcher, 1 Research Associate Positions: Mechanobiology And Vascularization In Bioengineered Neurodevelopment, Laboratory Of Bioengineering And Morphogenesis, Ku Leuven, KU Leuven, Belgium, 11 days ago
15 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company KU Leuven Research Field Biological sciences Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Belgium Application Deadline 15 Oct 2023 - 00:00...
Postdoctoral Position To Study Adipocyte Signaling Using Advanced Functional Genomics , University of Southern Denmark, Denmark, about 11 hours ago
Center for Adipocyte Signaling (ADIPOSIGN) invites applications from outstanding postdoctoral candidates who are interested in joining our team effort to understand adipocyte signaling states. The...
Postdoc In Microfluidics For Drug Screening In 3 D Cell Models, SciLifeLab, Sweden, about 7 hours ago
School of Engineering Sciences in Chemistry, Biotechnology and Health at KTH Job description We now offer a Postdoctoral position in Microfluidics for drug screening centered on the development dr...