(ref. BAP-2021-812)Laatst aangepast : 23/11/2021
The Spatial Applications Division Leuven (SADL) is an R&D-Division of KU Leuven. SADL was created with the aim to bundle the applied research, the professional training and the scientific consultancy of KU Leuven, in the fields of Geographic Information Systems (GI/GIS), Earth Observation (EO) and Spatial Data Infrastructures (SDI).SADL envisages the combination and integration of the technological and non-technological expertise (data and databases, information systems, applications, remote sensing, user requirement analysis, legislation and governance …) with the scientific insights and knowledge in the following – interconnected - domains in a Flemish, Belgian, European and Global context: • Mobility, Traffic and Transport related issues; • Agriculture and Environment, and the interaction between both; • Planning and management of urban and rural areas; • Ground and surface water management; • Social economic phenomena (e.g. tourism, housing). Throughout its work, SADL is focusing on technological and non-technological developments in the field of Spatial Data Infrastructures (SDI) and Earth Observation (and Remote Sensing), among others in support of the implementation of the European INSPIRE Directive and the Copernicus Programme. In that context, SADL is engaged in standardization bodies such as OGC (Open Geospatial Consortium) and ISO/TC 211 & CEN/TC 287. In all its activities, the transfer of knowledge and skills through the development of training programmes and educational projects is of utmost importance.
As junior staff member with a background and interest in Geographic Information and databases/data modelling you will become member of the technical team of SADL. You will contribute to SDI research and consultancy activities related, among others, to INSPIRE implementation in Belgium and other parts of Europe. Focus will be on data modelling, data harmonization/transformation and testing & validation activities. Moreover, work related to metadata standardization and implementation might be another field of activity. You will also help in developing and maintaining technical guidelines on topics such as metadata, data harmonization and testing & validation procedures. Finally, you will also contribute to typical GIS activities such as spatial analysis, mapping, scripting and possibly application development.
Several projects are currently ongoing. The first and most important project in which you will take part is “GO-PEG - Generation Of cross border Pan-European Geospatial Datasets and Services”, a project under the CEF-Telecom Public Open Data call. This project tries to find new methods and develop tools to automate the geospatial data harmonization process. The second project is a framework contract with the European Commission, to provide technical support to different DG’s with regard to their geospatial data and services. This might include mapping, spatial analysis, maintenance and QC of data, scripting to automate GI jobs, etc. Thirdly, also other smaller and bigger projects are running in which technical skills are required. Finally, it is expected that you also need to contribute to some educations activities: designing, developing and providing vocational training on GI-related topics.
Your work is performed in Leuven and Brussels, but travel to European project meetings and even outside Europe might be required as well.
- You have a passion for Geographic Information (Technology) and are strongly interested in ICT related developments;
- You are keen to learn and test new environments and new methods;
- You have a university degree (e.g. Master in Geography, bio-engineer, Master computer sciences) or an equivalent degree from another higher education institute;
- Basic knowledge and skills in GIS Desktop Software for mapping, spatial analysis and data processing (QGIS, ArcGIS, or similar products);
- Basic knowledge and experience in UML modelling and the use of ETL tools is an added value;
- Some knowledge on the INSPIRE Directive and its Implementing Rules and technical guidelines is an added value;
- Experience with the web (HTML) is an added value, be it through the management of a website or the programming of small applications (might also be as part of free-time activities such as work for a sport club, the scouts or just as a hobby);
- You are fluently reading, talking and writing in English. Knowledge of the Dutch or French language is preferable;
- You are willing to work independently – but as part of a bigger team - and you are able to work in a flexible working environment able to handle deadlines in a project context.
- Junior academic staff (BAP) of KU Leuven, SADL
- Contract of fixed duration, but extensions are possible
- Travel and insurance costs, costs for meetings in Belgium and project related costs are covered
- An informal and motivating work environment in which scientific and societal challenges meet each other.
For more information please contact Mr. Danny Vandenbroucke, tel.: +32 16 32 97 31, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.
Project Manager At The Laboratory For Cellular Metabolism And Metabolic Regulation, VIB, Belgium, about 2 hours ago
CANCER METASTASIS-METABOLISM DO YOU WANT TO JOIN @FENDTLAB FOR YOUR POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH? Description We (Laboratory for Cellular Metabolism and Metabolic Regulation; Fendt Lab) are a young and d...
Professor In Environmental Control Engineering For Human Health, KU Leuven, Belgium, 22 days ago
We are offering a full-time employment in an intellectually challenging environment. KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that carries out both fundamental and ap...
Professor In Health Communication, KU Leuven, Belgium, 22 days ago
An official website of the European UnionAn official EU websiteHow do you know? All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain. See all EU institutions and bodies Cookie...
Professor In Risk Management, Financial Mathematics, Financial Statistics Or Mathematical Statistics, KU Leuven, Belgium, 22 days ago
Benefits We are offering full-time employment in an intellectually challenging environment. KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that carries out both fundamental...
Professor Of Architecture Design And Visual Literacy, Developed In A Provocative Praxis (70%), KU Leuven, Belgium, 22 days ago
Benefits We offer part-time (70%) employment in a vibrant and intellectually stimulating design environment. KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally oriented university that carries out...
Hybrid Method For Realistic Simulation Of Room Acoustics In Vr/Ar (Vrace Esr8), KU Leuven, Belgium, about 20 hours ago
Benefits • A remuneration package competitive with industry standards in Belgium, a country with a high quality of life and excellent health care system.• An opportunity to pursue a PhD in Mechani...