VIB is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on impactful strategic basic research in life sciences. VIB translates the gained insights and scientific breakthroughs into real-world applications, which leads to both societal and economic benefits. The institute operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders – Ghent University, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and Hasselt University.
To lead the Communications & Events team, VIB is seeking a Head of Communications.
To contribute with passion and conviction to developing the VIB brand, both internally and externally, in the region and internationally, by engaging audiences through diverse communication channels that bring the institute's strategy and activities to life.
- Develop an integrated communication strategy, plan, and budget
- Lead the Communications & Events team
- Enhance VIB’s image towards external and internal stakeholders, on the local and the international scene; strengthen the visibility of VIB abroad
- Expand and maintain partnerships with stakeholders to collaborate in the area of communication and scientific events
- Promote VIB’s activities through communication tools and activities with a focus on digital media, media relations, public outreach, and conferences, in close collaboration with the 9 VIB research centers
- Manage the institute’s reputation through a dedicated media relations strategy
- Safeguard the institute’s reputation by developing a crisis communication strategy
- Strengthen internal communication and provide support for the deployment of internal programs, strategic decisions, and information towards collaborators in close collaboration with the VIB research centers
- Support the managing directors with preparing messaging and speeches, when required
- Develop metrics to track program performance, and make recommendations based on results
Required knowledge and experience
- Several years’ experience in leading a corporate/institutional communications team
- Extensive hands-on experience in public relations and/or communications
- Proven track record in developing and implementing a communications strategy
- Up to date with the latest trends and best practices in digital media
- Capacity to convey fundamental and complex concepts to a lay audience
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with colleagues and a wide range of stakeholders in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- Experience in change management
- Creative spirit
- Proficiency in English and Dutch
- Experience in a life science or academic environment is an asset
- Knowledge of the Belgian stakeholder landscape is an asset
What we offer
- A chance to contribute to an innovative institute with a major impact on society
- An attractive salary package with extra benefits
- A smart working environment in our state-of-the-art head office (move foreseen Q4 2023)
Start date 1 January 2023 or as agreed upon
Work city VIB headquarters, Ghent, Belgium
Employment fraction 80-100%
Microscopy Expert Vib Bio Imaging Core, Flanders Institute for Biotechnology (VIB), Belgium, 15 days ago
VIB is widely recognized as an established and world-leading knowledge center in life sciences and biotechnology with an excellent reputation in technology transfer. The unique combination of stra...
Junior Project Assistant, Flanders Institute for Biotechnology (VIB), Belgium, 3 days ago
About IPBO The VIB International Plant Biotechnology Outreach (VIB-IPBO) is an outreach cell of the VIB, a world-leading life sciences research institute based in Flanders (Belgium). Our mission ...
Professor In Chemical Engineering: Design And Processing Of Functional Products By Physico Chemical..., KU Leuven, Belgium, 24 days ago
We offer full-time employment in an intellectually challenging environment.KU Leuven is a research-intensive, internationally-oriented university that carries out both fundamental and applied scie...
Doctoral Fellow Department Of Applied Physics, Ghent University, Belgium, 18 days ago
Last application date Dec 15, 2022 00:00 Department TW17 - Department of Applied Physics Contract Limited duration Degree Master’s degree of a university or international equivalent in the field o...
Assistant (25429) Department Of Economics, Ghent University, Belgium, 12 days ago
→ Apply until 13/12/2022 (DD/MM/YYYY) 23:59 (Brussels time) → Faculty of Economics and Business Administration → Department EB21 - Department of Economics → AAP temporary appointment - 100...
(Senior) Project Manager Global Dialogues , University of Zurich, Switzerland, 12 days ago
Global Affairs (Senior) Project Manager Global Dialogues 80 % The Global Affairs department of the University of Zurich (UZH) strengthens the university's global net-work and collaboration with par...