VIB is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on impactful strategic basic research in life sciences. VIB translates the gained insights and scientific breakthroughs into real-world applications, which leads to both societal and economic benefits. The institute operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders – Ghent University, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and Hasselt University.
To lead the Communications & Events team, VIB is seeking a Head of Communications.
To contribute with passion and conviction to developing the VIB brand, both internally and externally, in the region and internationally, by engaging audiences through diverse communication channels that bring the institute's strategy and activities to life.
- Develop an integrated communication strategy, plan, and budget
- Lead the Communications & Events team
- Enhance VIB’s image towards external and internal stakeholders, on the local and the international scene; strengthen the visibility of VIB abroad
- Expand and maintain partnerships with stakeholders to collaborate in the area of communication and scientific events
- Promote VIB’s activities through communication tools and activities with a focus on digital media, media relations, public outreach, and conferences, in close collaboration with the 9 VIB research centers
- Manage the institute’s reputation through a dedicated media relations strategy
- Safeguard the institute’s reputation by developing a crisis communication strategy
- Strengthen internal communication and provide support for the deployment of internal programs, strategic decisions, and information towards collaborators in close collaboration with the VIB research centers
- Support the managing directors with preparing messaging and speeches, when required
- Develop metrics to track program performance, and make recommendations based on results
Required knowledge and experience
- Several years’ experience in leading a corporate/institutional communications team
- Extensive hands-on experience in public relations and/or communications
- Proven track record in developing and implementing a communications strategy
- Up to date with the latest trends and best practices in digital media
- Capacity to convey fundamental and complex concepts to a lay audience
- Excellent project management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with colleagues and a wide range of stakeholders in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
- Experience in change management
- Creative spirit
- Proficiency in English and Dutch
- Experience in a life science or academic environment is an asset
- Knowledge of the Belgian stakeholder landscape is an asset
What we offer
- A chance to contribute to an innovative institute with a major impact on society
- An attractive salary package with extra benefits
- A smart working environment in our state-of-the-art head office (move foreseen Q4 2023)
Start date 1 January 2023 or as agreed upon
Work city VIB headquarters, Ghent, Belgium
Employment fraction 80-100%
R&D Scientist – Growing Substrate…, Flanders Institute for Biotechnology (VIB), Belgium, 5 days ago
About N-Fix N-Fix, one of the first startups selected for the biotope by the VIB incubator, aims to solve one of the major sustainability challenges of livestock farming: an excess of manure. We’r...
Research Associate To Join The Vanderhaeghen Lab, Flanders Institute for Biotechnology (VIB), Belgium, about 23 hours ago
Description The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is part of the VIB Life Sciences Institute and is embedded within the University of Leuven, which ranks among the world’s top 50 u...
Potdoc Basic Mechanisms Of Pain In Polycystic Kidney Disease, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 9 days ago
(ref. BAP-2023-29) Laatst aangepast : 23/01/2023 The PKD research and the Laboratory of Ion Channel Research are a team of preclinical and clinical researchers with extensive and complementary exp...
“Scientific Coordinator” Staff Scientist In The Laboratory Of…, Flanders Institute for Biotechnology (VIB), Belgium, 2 days ago
The laboratory of Angiogenesis & Vascular Metabolism headed by Prof. Peter Carmeliet is one of the laboratories of the Center for Cancer Biology (CCB), a research department of VIB (Flanders Insti...
“Project Manager & Writer” Staff Scientist In The Laboratory Of…, Flanders Institute for Biotechnology (VIB), Belgium, 2 days ago
The laboratory of Angiogenesis and Vascular Metabolism headed by Prof. Peter Carmeliet is one of the laboratories of the Center for Cancer Biology (CCB), a research department of VIB (Flanders Ins...
Professor Electrical Engineering: Electromagnetic Risk Management For…, KU Leuven, Belgium, 13 days ago
Professor Electrical engineering: Electromagnetic risk management for dependable interconnected mechatronic systems (ref. ZAP-2022-5) Last modification : Tuesday, November 15, 2022 There is a vaca...