Apply now Job no:528800
Location:Melbourne - Burwood
- Based at our Melbourne, Burwood Campus
- Full-time and Fixed term
- HEW 7 $94,173 - $103,694 + 17% Superannuation
Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students across five campuses: Melbourne Burwood, Geelong Waurn Ponds, Geelong Waterfront, Warrnambool, and the online Cloud Campus. We are a progressive and open-minded university, with the highest student satisfaction in Victoria and consistently ranked in the top 1% of the world’s universities.
We are seeking to appoint a Software Engineer to provide high grade technical support to the Applied Artificial Intelligence Institute (A²I²).
Bring your experience using scripting languages, developing front-end applications and liasing with clients and vendors to this role which includes responsibility for general duties associated with applications for development
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Provide technical leadership and ensure project delivers the target outcomes, including selection of an appropriate development strategy, creation of effective project reports, status updates, and presentations to stakeholders.
- Create and communication designs and architecture that reflects best practice.
- Lead the creation of test strategies and detailed test plans.
- Implement, test, and deliver complex software systems.
- Work directly with project leaders in the creation of project proposals, including preparation of project plans, estimation of project timelines, as well as the identification of risks and strategies to mitigate those risks.
- Support leadership in project operations by helping ensure that consistent process is followed and best practice approaches are taken by team members.
- Lead code and design reviews for work undertaken on associated projects.
- Identify and champion adoption of reusable patterns and proven techniques from existing projects, open-source projects, and other relevant sources.
- This role has staffing responsibilities and must therefore ensure staff and own adherence to University policies and procedures, including but not limited to those relating to equal opportunity, occupational health and safety, risk and financial management, privacy, staff development and staff performance planning and review.
To be successful, you’ll have:
- Bachelor of Computer Science and Software Engineering or related field.
- Extensive experience developing server-side applications using Java and Spring Boot, or similar languages/frameworks (e.g. C# and ASP.NET MVC).
- Extensive experience working in a structured, collaborative development environment using contemporary project management approaches (e.g. Scrum) and best practice approaches for software engineering, including the use of version control, code reviews, and continuous integration.
- Experience liaising with clients and vendors in a technical support role to collaboratively elicit requirements, and provide iteration and refinement in the delivery of projects.
- Extensive experience using scripting languages (e.g. Bash, Python, Ruby) for building command-line utilities and applications.
- Experience mentoring junior staff in the context of projects (e.g. design and code review).
For a copy of the position description, please see below:
PD - Software Engineer 528800.pdf
Applications for this position close on 7 October.
- Infrequent work outside business hours is required (e.g., work at evening or weekend events is required)
- Working with Children Check (refer to Recruitment Procedure)
Successful applicants will need to comply with vaccination mandates imposed by the relevant state/territory government. Applicants who attend third-party sites to undertake University activities will also be required to comply with any other directions or requirements in place at the third-party location.
Please submit your updated resume and a short cover letter outlining your skills and experience for this role.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Scott Barnett, Deputy Head, Translational Research and Commercialisation at firstname.lastname@example.org
Are You Ready?
Deakin is a Victorian university with a global impact. We are an agile, dynamic, and innovative university committed to making a positive impact through our excellence in education, research and innovation and the contributions we make to the wider community.
We understand that our reputation has been built on the dedication and expertise of our staff and we offer a dynamic and diverse working environment with opportunities to grow and develop careers. We believe that a progressive, thriving culture will ensure that people choose to come, and stay at Deakin and contribute to our ongoing success.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
Advertised:05 Sep 2022 AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close:07 Oct 2022 AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Lecturer, School Of Psychology, DEAKIN UNIVERSITY, Australia, 13 days ago
Based at our Geelong, Waterfront Campus Full-time and continuing Level B $104,619 - $123,739 + 17% Superannuation Founded in 1974, Deakin is a public university in Victoria with 61,000 students ac...
Professor / Associate Professor Of Management, DEAKIN UNIVERSITY, Australia, 27 days ago
Based at our Melbourne Burwood Campus or Geelong Waterfront Campus Full-time and continuing Level D or Level E Deakin Business school is seeking to appoint a Professor or Associate Professor of Ma...
Qa Manager, RMIT University, Australia, about 20 hours ago
Overview: Full-time, Continuing position – HEW 9 Based at the Melbourne CBD campus, and hybrid ways of working Lead a high performing agile team and collaborate with our Education stakeholders. Ab...
Fraud Control Advisor, CSIRO, Australia, 8 days ago
Acknowledgement of Country CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the area that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection ...
Senior Developer (Applications), RMIT University, Australia, 2 days ago
Overview: Full-time, Continuing position Salary Level HEW 8 + 17% Superannuation and Flexible Working Arrangements Based at the Melbourne CBD campus (Hybrid role). About the Portfolio The Operatio...
Field Instrumentation Technician, Mti (Vic) Multiple Positions Available!, Monash University, Australia, about 15 hours ago
Field Instrumentation Technician, MTI (VIC) - Multiple positions available! Job No.: 644758 Location: Clayton campus Employment Type: Full-time Duration: 12-month fixed-term appointment Remunerati...