- Apply cutting edge DNA sequencing technology to build a world-leading reference genome library in support of marine conservation goals
- Full-time appointment on a fixed term basis for 3 years
- Base salary range: Level 6 $84,665 – $89,477 p.a. (pro rata) plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The Minderoo OceanOmics Centre at UWA combines a joint Ocean Genomes Laboratory, an OceanOmics Laboratory, and Computational Biology Services.
Equipped with the latest high-throughput sequencing technology and in collaboration with global partners, the Ocean Genomes Laboratory will generate a comprehensive library of high quality marine vertebrate reference genome assemblies. All such reference genome data will be subject to rigorous QA/QC and all assemblies will be released publicly with open access.
The Ocean Genomes Laboratory will undertake research and development under the direction of Minderoo’s ambitious OceanOmics Program which has the goal of revolutionising ocean conservation through novel marine sampling and genomics approaches and scaling these to significantly advance our knowledge of marine life. The Ocean Genomes Laboratory and Computational Biology Services will include state of the art infrastructure including sample and eDNA preparation areas, flow cytometry, single cell sequencing equipment and the latest bioinformatics and computational biology tools.
About the opportunity
As the appointee you will, under general direction, provide a high level of genomics and eDNA specific technical support to academics, technical staff and students for practical activities undertaken within the OceanOmics Centre Ocean Genomes Laboratory.
You will have hands-on expertise in genomic sequencing from metazoans with a drive to protect marine environments. Your experience delivers an in-depth understanding of sample extraction, library preparation and long read sequencing workflows, and familiarity with digitisation of related methodologies and progress. You will have advanced organisation skills and be a team player, adding value to and leading teams to achieve mutual goals.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Relevant tertiary qualification or demonstrated equivalent competancy
- Experience in sample and/or sequencing library preparation and the operation of next generation sequencing instrumentation
- Experience in implementing a range of policies and procedures to support molecular biological research from a technical and scientific perspective
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Highly developed organisational skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities and to meet deadlines
- Proficiency in a range of computing skills including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email and online/internet based systems
- Ability to work independently, show initiative and work productively as part of a team
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: Scientific Officer - 512557.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria .
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Thursday 27 October 2022
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Richard Edwards on (08) 6488 3142 or at email@example.com
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details : Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for child 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.
Advertised:28 Sep 2022 W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close:27 Oct 2022 11:55 PM W. Australia Standard Time
Research Associate, Geonomics / Molecular Biology, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 17 days ago
UWA School of Agriculture and Environment Researcher with experience and skills in geonomics or molecular biology to work in an exciting research initiative funded by the DNA Zoo Australia Level A...
Research Associate, Computational Biology / Bioinformatics, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 17 days ago
UWA School of Agriculture and Environment Researcher with experience and skills in computational biology or bioinformatics to work in an exciting research initiative funded by the DNA Zoo Australi...
Research Associate, Soil Scientist / Molecular Ecologist, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 4 days ago
Fixed term 24 months and full time appointment Research intensive position with a start date as soon as possible Salary range: Level A $74,236 - $99,905 p.a. plus 17% superannuation (appointment l...
Program Coordinator, Dna Zoo Australia, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 17 days ago
UWA School of Agriculture and Environment Level 6, full-time appointment on a fixed term basis for 2 years Base salary range: $84,665 - $89,477 p.a. plus 10.5% superannuation The University of Wes...
Senior Engineer (Electronics, Optics & Metocean), Curtin University, Australia, 20 days ago
Job Reference: 973833 “Marine Optical Network” (“MarONet”) project MarONet is a marine optical buoy to be deployed off Perth, Western Australia. A similar system is deployed in Hawaii. These buoys...
Follow Up Co Ordinator, Research Officer, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 11 days ago
School of Population and Global Health Two part time opportunities available to commence in early February 2023 Part-time (0.5FTE and 0.6FTE), fixed term appointments for 3 years Base salary range...