6 Sep 2023
UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
1 Oct 2023 - 00:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR)
- Great opportunity to be part of and contribute to an internationally renowned research centre
- Full-time appointment on a 12-month fixed term basis
- Base salary range: Level 7 $92,679 – $102,830 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
ICRAR is a WA State funded high profile equal joint venture established in 2009 between Curtin University and The University of Western Australia (UWA). The Centre’s headquarters are located at UWA, with research nodes at both UWA and Curtin. ICRAR is one of the lead Australian organisations participating in the international Square Kilometre Array (SKA) Project. ICRAR has been further funded from 2019 to 2024 with $60 Million by the WA State Government and equal contribution from the Joint Venture Universities. ICRAR is one of the largest astronomy organisations in Australia.
The Astrophotonics Group at ICRAR is focused on designing, building, and testing advanced photonic systems with applications in radio astronomy, optical astronomy, and space science. The group combines research expertise from people with a broad range of backgrounds including astronomy, physics and engineering. The group’s core technological capability is the long-distance transfer of stabilised optical-frequency signals, and microwave-frequency signals, and timing signals, transmitted across optical fibre networks and free-space laser links.
About the opportunity
As the appointee you will, under general direction, provide support in the design, build, and test an optical fibre-based frequency distribution system tailored to meet the scientific needs and logistical challenges of the SKA; as well as develop this technology for application to other high-precision use-cases across space science and astronomy research fields. You will work in the Astrophotonics group at ICRAR and collaborate with the SKA Office and other partner organisations. This hardware development and production role includes office-based design tasks as well as laboratory-based prototyping and testing. The resultant hardware will be mass manufactured and deployed on the SKA-Mid telescope.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate :
- Relevant tertiary qualification or demonstrated equivalent competency
- Extensive experience in electronic engineering including low noise analogue electronic design, RF & microwave electronics design and Microprocessor / FPGA / digital system design and programming
- Substantial experience with EDA software, ideally Altium Designer
- Substantial experience with PCB technology, including materials, manufacture, assembly, testing, and quality assurance processes
- Substantial experience with prototyping and hand soldering including SMT components
- Experience with PLL design and optimisation
- Demonstrated ability to plan and perform electronics testing in a laboratory environment
- Experience with optical fibre technology is desirable
Note: Some after-hours and weekend work may be required
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: Senior Research Engineer - 514685.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Sunday 1st October 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Associate Professor Sascha Schediwy at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details : Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for child 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
- We hold a gold Pleiades award https://www.icrar.org/pleiades/
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at email@example.com with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.
- Number of offers available
- UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- Postal Code
Where to apply
Project Manager Commercial, Curtin University, Australia, about 12 hours ago
Job Reference: 1148383 Industry Engagement at a thriving University Research Institute. Translate STEM research capability for Industry Impact. Use your commercial skills for impact on an engaged ...
System Administrator, Curtin University, Australia, about 12 hours ago
Job Reference: 1148360About us The Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy (CIRA) is a multi-disciplinary research institute engaged in a range of projects involving or motivated by radio astronomy. C...
Lecturer (Clinical Optometrist), The University of Western Australia, Australia, 18 days ago
Job no:515934 Work type:part time Location:Crawley Categories:Health and Medical Sciences You will improve the accessibility and quality of eye health services in Australia and New Zealand through...
Research Associate, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 18 days ago
Job no:515662 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Engineering and Mathematical Sciences School of Physics, Mathematics and Computing Level A, full-time appointment on a fixed term basi...
Technical Officer (Ocean Radar), The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 18 hours ago
Job no:515441 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Research support, Technical/Laboratory support A challenging research support role for an exciting Australia wide project Level 6, ful...
Senior Operations Officer, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 18 days ago
Job no:515893 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Campus / facilities management Great opportunity to join the team at UWA. Level 7, full-time appointment on an ongoing basis. Base sal...