Work type:full time
Categories:Health and Medical Sciences
School of Allied Health
- 2 x Level C, full-time appointment on a 3 year fixed term basis
- Salary range: $125,693 to $144,523 plus superannuation
About the team
The School of Allied Health at The University of Western Australia is a research-intensive academic organisation giving material expression to the belief that excellence in research underpins excellence in teaching and community partnerships. The School has a reputation for a strong evidence based approach to research and education that is used for policy and practice development.
The School aspires to be a school in which staff and students feel valued and supported in their individual and collective efforts to improve community health and wellbeing.
The Discipline of Optometry is located in the School and offers a three-year postgraduate professional doctorate Optometry along with Higher Degree by Research option.
The UWA Doctor of Optometry Program aspires to “graduate socially accountable optometry professionals (clinicians and researchers), who are lifelong learners committed to delivering culturally safe and responsive, person-centred care, which meets individual and societal health care needs and improves health outcomes.”
About the opportunity
As the appointee you will be responsible to the Head of Discipline and Doctor of Optometry Course Director to provide academic and clinical teaching.
You will be motivated to deliver quality teaching and module co-ordination in Optometry and will actively participate in developing the Optometry Discipline’s teaching strategy to align with the School of Allied Health’s teaching strategy.
You will also undertake research and actively strive to obtain research funding, individually or in collaboration, as well as supervising research students and contribute to the academic environment of the School and will undertake clinic supervision and actively participate in the development of the Optometry clinical teaching strategy.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Registration as a therapeutically qualified Optometrist.
- PhD Qualification.
- Eligibility for registration and maintenance of good standing with the Optometry Board of Australia (OBA) or the Optometry and Dispensing Opticians Board of New Zealand (ODOBNZ)
- Knowledge of, and teaching experience in a university environment. A teaching portfolio is recommended evidence of teaching experience.
- Knowledge of Optometry curriculum development and delivery in a university environment. In particular, teaching experiences and subject expertise in some of the following fields is desirable;
- Ocular Disease and Therapeutics,
- Myopia management,
- Low Vision
- Contact Lenses,
- Dry Eye,
- Clinical Optometry
- Paediatric Vision, Binocular Vision,
- Visual Function, Visual Neuropathology
- Ability to administer and coordinate business critical programs.
- Familiarity with flexible teaching methods, such as case enhanced learning and e-learning.
- Prior experience in problem-based learning in Optometry curriculum would be an advantage.
- Achievement and experience in obtaining research grants and undertaking research.
- Achievement and experience to write and publish journal articles and other publications.
- Excellence in management and organisational skills and leadership qualities.
- Evidence of a high level of interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication, and demonstrated ability to relate well to staff and students at all levels
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description. Please see the position description prior to applying: 508029.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria
Closing date: Tuesday, 30 November 2021
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Bronze Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2021).
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020.
Advertised:02 Nov 2021 W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close:30 Nov 2021 11:55 PM W. Australia Standard Time
Practicum Coordinator Exercise Science And Exercise, Curtin University, Australia, about 1 hour ago
Job Reference: 844030 About us Curtin’s School of Allied Health offers professionally recognised courses in Exercise and Sport Science, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Social Work, and Speech...
Technical Specialist Health Sciences, Immunology, Curtin University, Australia, about 1 hour ago
Job Reference: 841107 About us The Curtin Medical School is one of four schools in the Faculty of Health Sciences. The school was formed in 2021 by the merger of the previous Curtin Medical School...
Specialist Lead Acute Care Discipline Of Medicine, Curtin University, Australia, about 1 hour ago
Job Reference: 818656 About the Curtin Medical School Established in 2017, the Curtin Medical School, which is part of the Faculty of Health Sciences, brings together multidisciplinary teaching an...
Hospital Placement Officer, Curtin University, Australia, about 1 hour ago
Job Reference: 842697 About Curtin Medical School Established in 2017, the Curtin Medical School, which is part of the Faculty of Health Sciences, brings together multidisciplinary teaching and re...
Assessment Curriculum Coordinator (Medicine), Curtin University, Australia, about 1 hour ago
Job Reference: 839119 Curtin Medical School Established in 2017, the Curtin Medical School, which is part of the Faculty of Health Sciences, brings together multidisciplinary teaching and research...
Technical Officer, Curtin University, Australia, about 1 hour ago
Job Reference: 838020 Faculty of Science and Engineering Curtin’s Faculty of Science and Engineering is a place where students and staff alike can apply their studies and research to real-world in...