Job Reference: 755942
21-month fixed term contract – full time
$103,813 + 17% Superannuation per annum
The Curtin Institute for Computation (CIC)
Computation now fundamentally underpins the majority of internationally competitive research across all fields and disciplines. As the demand for computational skills has grown, so too has the need for a dedicated institute that can support the research community.
The Curtin Institute for Computation (CIC) was established to meet this increasing demand for computational modelling, data analytics, and visualisation. It initiates and fosters collaborative, interdisciplinary research and education programs with researchers.
Our computational specialists assist in applying computational methods across the sciences, engineering, social sciences, health science, business, and the humanities to provide innovative solutions to complex problems.
Future Batteries Industries Cooperative Research Centre (FBICRC)
Responsible sourcing (or generated without compromising economic, social and environmental principles) of battery elements and other critical minerals are increasingly important factors in the entire battery supply chain, especially for end-users of electric vehicles. Australia is regarded internationally as an ethical and sustainable supplier of resources.
The project has two main objectives: i) Provenance: Australian battery mineral and processed chemical database and ii) Traceability: Secure digital platform to visualise, communicate and manage supply chain information. This project will develop tools, systems and platforms that provide transparency within the supply chain and enable supply chain stakeholders to manage risks associated with unethical and unsustainable suppliers.
Your new role
We are seeking a detail orientated Data Scientist to join the FBICRC team, and lead the Curtin Institute for Computation’s component of this high profile project. You will work closely with the John de Laeter Center at Curtin University to lead the data management and develop a functional solution for high-quality chemical data analytics. This position is critical to the success of the project and influences the development of a novel solutions for chemical fingerprinting and provenance traceability of metal, stable isotopic ratios and trace element profiles.
Responsibilities will include:
- Applying knowledge of chemical processes and data science methodologies to manage isotope and chemical data datasets, and to develop novel methods for tracing trace element profiles through supply chains.
- In conjunction with the FBICRC team and CIC specialists, liaise with project partners and stakeholders to contribute to scoping requirements for and subsequently to deliver a functional data management and traceability solution according to the project scope.
- Being based within the CIC and taking the lead for project’s data management, data analytics and developing a technical provenance traceability solution for access by project partners.
- Maintain communication with the project lead, project partners and stakeholders throughout the duration of the project, to ensure a common understanding of requirements, regular exchange of project related information and to initiate appropriate action for issues if they arise.
- Participation in project meetings, workshops and contribution to project reporting for the FBICRC.
- Using appropriate project management software initiation, planning and coordination of activities for assigned projects.
- A tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline with considerable relevant experience or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- High-level problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong experience in using languages, such as C and/or C++, Python, Perl, or shell scripts.
- Understanding of data science, computational methodologies, algorithm development and data management. In particular knowledge of SQL would be an advantage.
- Expertise in the support and development of scientific computer applications.
- Outstanding interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to articulate technical concepts to non-technical clients.
- Well-developed written communication skills with the ability to construct clear and concise reports and correspondence.
- Strong organisational skills with the ability to operate autonomously as well as an effective team member.
- A chemistry or physics background and/or demonstrated understanding of isotopic and chemical analysis and their use in provenancing would be an advantage.
- Experience with using Atlassian Jira would be an advantage.
- Experience in data visualisation (desirable).
- Work on real world challenges associated with ethical mineral mining and supply chain traceability.
- Agile and flexible working environment with great work life balance
- The opportunity to grow, develop and diversify your own skill set
- Competitive remuneration package with 17% Superannuation
For further information on Curtin’s employee benefits visit https://about.curtin.edu.au/jobs/
Curtin University requires you to provide a cover letter and resume to include sufficient information and examples to allow us to assess your suitability for the role.
To view a copy of the role’s Position Description, please copy and paste the following link into your browser:
Valuing Diversity and Inclusion
At Curtin, we are committed to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander reconciliation, diversity and social justice and aim to create an inclusive environment where our staff and students are valued and inspired. This includes a supportive recruitment process should you require any access assistance.
To apply complete the application form below, addressing the selection criteria.
For more information contact:
- Kathryn Barker (firstname.lastname@example.org)
, we cannot accept resumes sent to the above contact.
Once you have applied, you will receive an email confirming that your application has been received by us. If you do not receive confirmation via email, please email our team at email@example.com. Please ensure you check your spam folders for this email before contacting the team.
Applications close: 9.00pm AWST, Tuesday 25th January 2022
Curtin reserves the right at its sole discretion to withdraw from the recruitment process, not to make an appointment, or to appoint by invitation, at any time. We reserve the right to remove the advert earlier than the date on the advert.
It Project Management Postgraduate Internship, ACS Foundation, Australia, about 2 hours ago
Perth, WA Iluka Resources is an international mineral sands company with expertise in exploration, development, mining, processing, marketing and rehabilitation. The company also has an emerging p...
Marketing Data Analyst, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 11 hours ago
Job no:508952 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Community Engagement/Marketing, Information Technology Brand, Marketing and Recruitment Join a progressive team driving growth at a wo...
Infrastructure / Document Management Intern, ACS Foundation, Australia, about 2 hours ago
Perth, WA Iluka Resources is international mineral sand and rare earth minerals company with expertise in exploration, development, mining, processing, marketing & rehabilitation. This role will ...
Project Manager, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 11 hours ago
Job no:509625 Work type:full time Location:Perth CBD Categories:Information Technology University IT Leading projects in the digital transformation of services for a World Top 100 University Full-...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor In Architecture And Construction , The University of Sydney ;, Australia, 8 days ago
Opportunity to contribute to teaching and research in architecture and construction Join a highly supportive and collegial School Offering a salary of $110, 856 to $180,128 p.a. plus 17% superannu...
Network Engineer, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 11 hours ago
University IT Join us in building and deploying a modern dynamic network at UWA using newly acquired equipment. Be part of a dynamic and motivated team delivering real outcomes. Full-time, ongoin...