1 Jun 2023
UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
5 Jun 2023 - 00:00 (UTC)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
UWA School of Agriculture & Environment
- Level 5, full-time appointment on fixed term basis for one year
- Base salary range: $73,982 – $81,999 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The UWA School of Agriculture and Environment is located in one of the world’s biodiversity hotspots. Surrounded by a wealth of agricultural, natural and mining resources, our location allows us to produce innovative research with worldwide application. Our teaching and research benefit from a network of national and international collaborators, and our strong industry and government links are producing change in agricultural and environmental management, regional development, and urban policy and planning The DNA Lab undertakes an innovative Translational Genomics research program that aims to translate fundamental science into ready-to-use solutions across the agricultural and medical sectors. The DNA Lab team enables research to span the spectrum of scientific activities beyond the traditional ‘Lab-to-Landscape’ model, using new age technologies such as synthetic biology, CRISPR, single-cell and 3D genomics
About the opportunity
As the appointee you will, under general direction, provide support and aid processing, analysing, genomic datasets. This will include using integrated data science products, scaling up existing open-source software packages and adapting them to Pawsey Supercomputing cluster, using in open-source tools to explore, analyse and interpret comparative genomic data. The scale of the data to be analysed will require methodological work and algorithm application.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate :
- Relevant tertiary qualification or demonstrated equivalent competency in bioinformatics or computational biology and Computer Science
- Experience in bash, awk, Java, C++ and/or Python, working knowledge of git or similar tools for scientific software development desirable
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Highly developed organisational skills with the demonstrated ability to set priorities and to meet deadlines
- Proficiency in a range of computing skills including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, internet and email
- Ability to work independently, show initiative, problem solve and work productively as part of a Team
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: PD - Research Officer - 514535.pdf
The content of your Resume and Cover Letter should demonstrate how you meet the selection criteria.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Monday, 5 June 2023
Suitable candidates will be contacted for interview as applications are received. Please apply as soon as possible for consideration.
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details : Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for children aged 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.
- Number of offers available
- UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA
- Postal Code
Where to apply
Brian Metcalf Chair In Biological Chemistry, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 11 days ago
The University of Western Australia is a leading global university, renowned for excellence in education and research. Today, UWA is among the top 100 universities in the world, number one in Wes...
Student Transition Assistant, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 21 hours ago
Job no:515487 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Student Administration / Support Services University Hall UWA Level 4, full-time on an ongoing basis Base salary range: $70,905 – $75,...
Accommodation Concierge, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 11 days ago
Job no:515097 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Student Administration / Support Services Level 5, full-time and ongoing appointment Base salary range: $76,422 – $84,705 p.a. plus 17...
Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor (Business Analytics), The University of Western Australia, Australia, 11 days ago
UWA Business School Join a multidisciplinary team at one of the Top 3 Best Business Schools in Australia Full-time tenurable appointment Base salary range: Level C $132,381 – $152,279 p.a. OR Leve...
Dean (Global Md), The University of Western Australia, Australia, 11 days ago
Job no:515424 Work type:part time Location:QEII Medical Centre / SCGH, Crawley Categories:Health and Medical Sciences Part-time (0.5 FTE), fixed-term appointment for 3 years Base salary range: Lev...
Senior Network Engineer Connected Campus, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 11 days ago
Job no:515334 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Information Technology An exciting opportunity to join a team of progressive network professionals deploying a modern network across t...