School of Biological Sciences
- Be part of an inclusive team engaged in a multitude of marine biological and socioeconomic projects
- Level 5, full-time appointment on a fixed term basis to March 2024
- Base salary range: $73,982.00 – $81,999.00 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The School of Biological Sciences is a large, multidisciplinary School with over 80 high-calibre staff delivering world-class education and research programs to approximately 600 undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students and is responsible for the supervision of ~100 PhD students. The School is research-intensive with expertise in the disciplines of Computational Biology, Ecology & Conservation, Evolutionary Biology, Neuroscience and Science Communication.
Dr Tim Langlois is responsible for leading the Marine Ecology Group within the UWA Oceans Institute and School of Biological Sciences in fisheries, biodiversity and marine socio-economic research to inform NESP Marine and Coastal Hub and Fisheries Research and Development Corporation research projects. We also have growing collaborations with First Nations ranger groups that are increasing our opportunities for enriching and rewarding fieldwork in stunning locations and developing teaching in field methods for a range of users.
About the opportunity
As the appointee you will, under general direction, take part in remote and local field work to complete remote video surveys, and provide support to the work area including helping to annotate and manage complex and diverse biological data. You will be involved in assisting students and trainee rangers in the field and laboratory, and video and sampling gear maintenance. You will also be involved in conducting and training in marine socio-economic surveys, with a focus on boat ramp surveys of recreational fishers.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate :
- Relevant tertiary qualification in Biological Science, with an Honours or Masters qualification in a marine related field preferable
- Experience planning and undertaking field trips in remote areas
- Ability to work independently, show initiative, problem solve and work productively as part of a team
- Sound knowledge of non-destructive monitoring techniques for fish and habitat
- Experience using stereo drop cameras and stereo baited underwater video for surveying marine benthic habitat and fishes
- Experience using TransectMeasure software for marine benthic habitat annotation work and EventMeasure software for fish annotation
- Ability to identify tropical coral reef and temperate West Australian fish species
- Experience with exporting and analysis of data products from EventMeasure and TransectMeasure software
- Experience planning and conducting marine socio-economic surveys (e.g. boat ramp surveys)
- Experience using R to generate and format data products, undertake ecological modelling and produce publication quality graphics
- Using Git as a version control system to work collaboratively with other team members
Please note the below are requirements of this position:
- Occasional interstate travel may be required
- Occasional weekend work will be required during field work
- Some after-hours work may be required
- Current “C” class driver’s license
- Current First Aid and CPR (Desirable)
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: Research Officer 514439.pdf
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria .
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Tuesday, 27 June 2023
To learn more about this opportunity, please contact Tim Langlois on 0423 708 312 or at email@example.com
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details : Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for children aged 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at firstname.lastname@example.org with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.
Advertised:25 May 2023 W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close:27 Jun 2023 11:55 PM W. Australia Standard Time
Senior Research Engineer (Ska), UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 24 days ago
6 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Engineering Physics Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country...
Lecturer/Senior Lecturer In Marine Science, Edith Cowan University, Australia, about 23 hours ago
$105,832 to $125,043 p.a (Level B), $128,880 to $148,089 p.a. (Level C) Ongoing, Full-time, Joondalup Campus Open to candidates with relevant work rights LECTURER/SENIOR LECTURER IN MARINE SCIENCE...
Lecturer Political Science And Public Policy, UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA, Australia, 23 days ago
7 Sep 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNIVERSITY OF WESTERN AUSTRALIA Research Field Political sciences Researcher Profile Established Researcher (R3) Country Australia Application Deadl...
Research Associate, Curtin University, Australia, 18 days ago
Job Reference: 1034817 The ARC Training Centre for Healing Country (‘ Healing Country’ ) builds a robust science-business interface that links Indigenous Australians to vibrant and resilient busin...
Aus Src Senior Project Scientist, Curtin University, Australia, 2 days ago
AusSRC Senior Project Scientist The Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy is seeking to appoint the Senior Project Scientist for the Australian SKA Regional Centre. Continuing contract, full time (p...
Senior Project Scientist, Curtin University, Australia, about 11 hours ago
About us The Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy (CIRA) is a multi-disciplinary research institute engaged in a range of projects involving or motivated by radio astronomy. CIRA’s activities draw ...