School of Physics, Mathematics and Computing
- Use your strong practical and research background to positively impact the data-science industry
- Two years fixed term full time role, with possibility for extension
- Salary range: Level A $72,780– $97,946 p.a. plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’ there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The Australian Centre for Transforming Maintenance through Data Science (CTMTDS) is a joint collaboration between Curtin University, the University of Western Australia and CSIRO, and industry partners Alcoa, BHP, and Roy Hill, as well as CORE Innovation Hub and the Minerals Research Institute of Western Australia. The Centre, co-funded by the Australian Research Council through the Industrial Transformation Training Centre scheme, aims to train a new generation of data scientist specialists, equipping them with the skills needed to develop new data science methods for solving complex modelling, technical language processing and optimisation challenges in asset maintenance. This cohort of data scientists will drive an exciting transformation of maintenance practice in the Australian resources industry based on new advances in machine learning, artificial intelligence and optimisation. The Centre involves a team of 20 scientists and engineers at the three research institutes together with practicing engineers at the industry partners.
About the opportunity
As a Research Associate in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics you will have the rare opportunity to collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of academics in CTMTDS to conduct research leading to industry impacts and high-quality publications.
Drawing on your strong research and practical skills you will develop methods and software tools to support symbolic sequence modelling on industrial data sets. You will engage with the Centre’s industry partners to identify and address maintenance-related industry questions using appropriate methods.
You will also have the opportunity to mentor research students during study and industry placement as well as supporting and co-supervising final year undergraduate and PhD students.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- A PhD focus relevant to symbolic sequence modelling or discrete dynamics
- Significant practical and research experience in the analysis of experimental or industry data
- Strong track record of research publications
- Written and verbal communication skills in the preparation of high-quality reports, presentations and publications for a range of audiences
- A strong team player with experience working within a cross-disciplinary team, across different institutions and with industry partners at their work sites is desirable
- Experience in complex network analysis or complex engineering systems and with symbolic approximation methods is desirable
The successful candidate will be expected to be available to attend onsite in industry and to comply with the work culture and safety expectations of our industry partners.
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description.
You are required to address the selection criteria in your submission in a separate document. For information to assist you with compiling statements to answer the selection criteria, please visit Addressing the selection criteria
Closing date: 11:55 pm AWST, Thursday 16 June 2022
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce. We celebrate inclusion and diversity and believe gender equity is fundamental to achieving our goal of being a top 50 university by 2050.
- We have child friendly areas on campus, including childcare facilities. Flexible work arrangements, part-time hours and job sharing will all be considered.
- UWA has been awarded Bronze Employer Status for being a Top Ten Employer for LGBTI Inclusion by the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2021).
- UWA has also been awarded Athena Swan Bronze Accreditation in 2020.
Senior Administrative Officer, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 9 days ago
Job no:510253 Work type:part time Location:Crawley Categories:Administration & Executive support PATREC - The Planning and Transport Research Centre Help make a new research program happen - clima...
Student Engagement Coordinator Into University Partnership, The University of Western Australia, Australia, 6 days ago
Job no:510363 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Student Administration / Support Services Gen Z and student engagement champion Permanent, full-time appointment working directly for ...
Manager (Strategic Engagement And Communications), The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 9 hours ago
Job no:510364 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Administration & Executive support, Community Engagement/Marketing, Student Administration / Support Services International Centre for...
Qualified Educator, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 9 hours ago
UWA Child Care Centre Full-time, fixed-term appointment for 12 months Base salary range: Qualified Educator $60,012 – $64,161 p.a. plus 17% superannuation The University of Western Australia (UWA)...
Lecturer Entrepreneurship & Innovation, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 9 hours ago
UWA Business School Lecturer specialising in Entrepreneurship & Innovation Full-time, ongoing appointment Salary scale: Level B, $98,526 - $116,792 plus employer contribution to superannuation of ...
Professor Of Periodontics, The University of Western Australia, Australia, about 9 hours ago
Job no:510031 Work type:full time Location:Crawley Categories:Health and Medical Sciences We are seeking an outstanding senior academic for a tenurable position of Professor of Periodontics in the...