Work type:full time
Categories:Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
Oceans Graduate School
- Full-time, fixed-term appointment for 2 years
- Base salary range: Level A $74,236 – $99,905 p.a. (pro rata) plus 17% superannuation
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked among the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research intensive universities. With a strong research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to innovate and inspire, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top university.
About the team
The Oceans Graduate School (OGS) engages in fundamental and applied research to find solutions for the critical issues facing our oceans, coasts and estuaries. The School leads a number of nationally significant research programs and houses several major research facilities, including the Coastal and Offshore Engineering Laboratory, the National Geotechnical Centrifuge Facility, and a number of labs and field infrastructure within the Indian Ocean Marine Research Centre. The Coastal and Ocean Dynamics group comprises a collaborative group of oceanographic researchers that are supported by a number of major research initiatives, including the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies and the ARC Industrial Transformation Research Hub TIDE.
About the opportunity
As the appointee you will participate in and lead research relevant to the study of coastal processes and their prediction, with a focus on coastal engineering applications. The successful candidate will have skills in coastal numerical modelling (including wave and circulation models) and experimental data collection and analysis. The multi-disciplinary nature of the work will require the applicant to participate in collaboration across the fields of oceanography, hydrodynamics, and coastal engineering, including with industry partners.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate :
- A PhD or equivalent industry experience in physical oceanography, coastal engineering, or a closely related field.
- Strong numerical analysis skills and experience in coastal wave and circulation modelling.
- Experience with experimental measurement techniques including analysis of wave and current in coastal field settings and/or experimental flume facilities.
- Strong track record of research publication relative to opportunity.
- A willingness to supervise higher degree by research students.
- Ability to work independently, show initiative and work productively as part of a team.
- Highly developed organisational skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and conduct research.
- Demonstrated commitment to service roles, inclusivity and diversity in the workplace.
About your application
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description: Position Description - Level A.pdf
The content of your Resume and Cover Letter should demonstrate how you meet the selection criteria.
Closing date: 11:55 PM AWST on Wednesday, 23 November 2022
This position is open to international applicants.
Application Details : Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Our commitment to inclusion and diversity
UWA is committed to a diverse workforce and an equitable and inclusive workplace. We celebrate difference and believe diversity is fundamental to achieving our goals as a globally recognised Top 100 educational and research institution. We are committed to creating a safe work environment for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, women, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQA+ community and people living with disability.
- We have a globally competitive, gender neutral parental leave policy with 26 weeks paid leave after 12 months service and 36 weeks after 5 years.
- We have on-campus childcare facilities for child 6 weeks to kindy.
- We facilitate flexible working, with part-time and job-sharing arrangements considered.
- We have an ongoing partnership with Pride in Diversity and were recently awarded a Bronze Employer status for LGBTIQA+ inclusion.
- We have Athena SWAN Bronze accreditation and actively work to improve gender equity.
Should you have any queries relating to your application, please contact the individual named in the advertisement. Alternatively, contact the Talent team at email@example.com with details of your query. To enable a quick response, please include the 6-digit job reference number and a member of the team will respond to your enquiry.
Advertised:26 Oct 2022 W. Australia Standard Time
Applications close:23 Nov 2022 11:55 PM W. Australia Standard Time
Head Of School Molecular And Life Sciences, Curtin University, Australia, about 9 hours ago
Job Reference: 1022809 Curtin School of Molecular and Life Sciences The school, comprising of the Disciplines of Agriculture & Food, Chemistry, and Ecology, delivers outstanding education programs...
Earth Observation Specialist Synthetic Aperture Radar (Sar), The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), Australia, 26 days ago
Acknowledgement of Country CSIRO acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land, sea and waters, of the areas that we live and work on across Australia. We acknowledge their continuing connection...
Research Associate, Curtin University, Australia, 3 days ago
Job Reference: 985256 Your new role Curtin University is seeking a Research Associate (post- PhD) in the discipline of Sustainable Engineering, based at our Bentley campus in Perth, Western Austra...
Lecturer, Teaching And Research Sustainable Engineering, Curtin University, Australia, about 9 hours ago
Job Reference: 1005676 The School of Civil and Mechanical Engineering is a collegial working environment, which undertakes outstanding theoretical and applied research, and runs highly regarded an...
Lecturer, Project Management, Curtin University, Australia, about 9 hours ago
Job reference: 975281 Your new role An exciting opportunity exists for a Professional Project Manager to join the School of Design and the Built Environment as a teaching-focused Lecturer . We are...
Manager, Psychological And Counselling Service, Curtin University, Australia, about 9 hours ago
Job Reference: 1027072 Our dedicated Psychological and Counselling Service (PACS) team supports students at a range of levels, from helping settling into university life, to providing our student ...